What is that Psalm??

What is the Psalm that M.Ayad always says during the vespers prayers for the popes sermon

God Bless

Comments

• [quote author=Faithfull Servant 1 link=topic=14258.msg163211#msg163211 date=1360410987]
    What is the Psalm that M.Ayad always says during the vespers prayers for the popes sermon

God Bless

link of the video would help.....
  • The psalm is JE avsaji. It is the tawaf in vespers and matins during the Annual seasons
  • [quote author=dg920 link=topic=14258.msg163215#msg163215 date=1360441864]
    The psalm is JE avsaji. It is the tawaf in vespers and matins during the Annual seasons

let me expand on this. Je avsaji is the tawaf of vespers and matins in St Mary's fast. that way/tune is taken to be used for annual vespers and matins tawafs and psalms (the psalm of the day and tawaf are said in this order and in the same tune). Marochasf is a tawaf that is to be said when bishops are present. m Ibrahim records here: Maro-echasf - Je-afsaji Fast Tune by Ibrahim Ayad (ignore the fact that it is recorded in the palm sunday set).
    Now there are different tawafs for many occasions. There is one for vespers and another for matins annual days. I would say m Ibrahim said the psalm, than maybe the vespers tawaf and then, for sure, marochasf.
  • Thank you sooo mcuh!! (I like the tune btw)

Do you know where I can find these psalms??

God Bless

oh.. btw... what does tawaf mean??
  • I found the annual ones for vespers and matins but I still dont understand this tawaf thing and what are the ones for different occasions, where can they be found and in what tune are they said (like the marouchasf above or different)?

God Bless
  • Tawaf is an arabic word taking from the work yatoof which means to proceed in a procession or a circle. The southern diocese deacon's service books has many of these tawafs (if not all) and use the word 'trailer'....the reason htese parts of psalms (because the tawafs are also parts of psalms), the proper order of events during the litany of the gospel is this:
    - Priest finishes the litany and goes inside the sanctuary with the deacon, puts incense and goes around the altar with the deacon.
    - Meanwhile the psalm, followed by the tawaf (or 2) are said (maybe the psalm response too).
    - The priest continues going around the church having all kiss the Beshara (the gospel in his hands). Now priests atleast have other priests do this. In monasteries, priests still do this. sometimes, when there isn't much people in church, abouna's do that.
    -  After he 'proceeds' around the church granting people the blessing of the gospel, he goes back to the coptic manageya to read the coptic gospel.
    - The gospel is then read in another language.

The tawaf was put to give abouna more time to go around the church and grant the people the blessing.
    The tune of the tawaf is exactly like the tune of the psalm said before it. So that can either be annual, kiahky, lent, festive....(marochasf is a tawaf said is a bishop is present. its tune depends on the day).
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=14258.msg163230#msg163230 date=1360520604]

The tawaf was put to give abouna more time to go around the church and grant the people the blessing.
    The tune of the tawaf is exactly like the tune of the psalm said before it. So that can either be annual, kiahky, lent, festive....(marochasf is a tawaf said is a bishop is present. its tune depends on the day).

Thanks Mina!!! Sorry to bother you with so many questions but what is the lent tune for the psalm?

God Bless
  • Yea Mina i dont think there is a lent tune. The lent is also said annual
  • Well i guess it's lost.....it is probably annual. when you are not sure of what tune to say, then annual is always good :-).......even thoo i remember hearing a recording of a psalm for  lent from m Ibrahim.....if i find it, i'll post it.
  • The recording of M. Ibrahim says that the lenten psalm is said sanawy lol
  • [quote author=dg920 link=topic=14258.msg163257#msg163257 date=1360625912]
    The recording of M. Ibrahim says that the lenten psalm is said sanawy lol

Khalsa ba2a...
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=14258.msg163230#msg163230 date=1360520604]
    Tawaf is an arabic word taking from the work yatoof which means to proceed in a procession or a circle. The southern diocese deacon's service books has many of these tawafs (if not all) and use the word 'trailer'....the reason htese parts of psalms (because the tawafs are also parts of psalms), the proper order of events during the litany of the gospel is this:
    - Priest finishes the litany and goes inside the sanctuary with the deacon, puts incense and goes around the altar with the deacon.
    - Meanwhile the psalm, followed by the tawaf (or 2) are said (maybe the psalm response too).
    - The priest continues going around the church having all kiss the Beshara (the gospel in his hands). Now priests atleast have other priests do this. In monasteries, priests still do this. sometimes, when there isn't much people in church, abouna's do that.
    -  After he 'proceeds' around the church granting people the blessing of the gospel, he goes back to the coptic manageya to read the coptic gospel.
    - The gospel is then read in another language.

check m.Ibrahim answer for this: min 43:30
  • Hi Minatasgeel,

Je avsaji is not the Vespers/Matins tawaf on Saint Mary's fast, it's supposed to be the Vespers psalm on Saint Mary's feast.
    The tawaf on Saint Mary's fast and feast is Sotem tasheri.

Ps: I said "supposed to be" because Coptic reader uses another Psalm for the feast which seems incorrect based on what Ibrahim Ayad does.
  • The majority of time these are one in the same when it comes to tunes since both services are Raising of Incense. 
  • It's not really the same because you don't start the same way
    - If you chant a psalm you start with "Psalmos to David Alleluia"
    - If you chant a Tawaf on its own, you start with "Alleluia"