Medical school encouraging stories

Hey guys, I have been thinking of starting a forum were people can discuss their academic stories mostly their stories of entering med school, and their experiences. I'm a second year college student, and I feel it's important to hear from others and learn from their experiences.

Comments

• why do want to hear especially about medical school?
    when my friends say they are studying medicine, i feel sorry for them because they will have a hard life!
    also, i presume u r not actually abouna because u r a college student.

or maybe it's a new requirement now for priests to go back to college if they didn't do it before!
    ;)
  • Mabsoota,

You can also assume that he is not "fatherbishoykamel" because Fr. Bishoy dies about 20 some years ago LOL.

Ray
  • sorry, don't know the american priests!
    may God repose his soul and may he pray for us.
    did u go to college, return orthodoxy?

also what college are u at 'fatherbishoykamel'?
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=13981.msg161754#msg161754 date=1354827783]
    sorry, don't know the american priests!
    may God repose his soul and may he pray for us.
    did u go to college, return orthodoxy?

also what college are u at 'fatherbishoykamel'?

lol, Fr. Bishoy Kamel is a famous Alexandrian priest. He is considered a saint by many people. Here is a brief biography: http://st-takla.org/Priest-Fr-Bishoy-Kamel.html
    He even has his own wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishoy_Kamel
  • [quote author=fatherbishoykamel link=topic=13981.msg161740#msg161740 date=1354780159]
    Hey guys, I have been thinking of starting a forum were people can discuss their academic stories mostly their stories of entering med school, and their experiences. I'm a second year college student, and I feel it's important to hear from others and learn from their experiences.

You certainly do not want to hear my demotivational story. I can see why you asked though.

when my friends say they are studying medicine, i feel sorry for them because they will have a hard life!

I hear you!
  • My beloved sister mabsota: I am not going to say were I go, since I live in an area that is scarcely filled with copts, and i don't want to be revealed for my personal safety. I can tell you that I'm actually a "Running start student" in which i have the oppetunity to complete my last two years of Highschool at a community college and earn a transfer associates degree. Long story short: There are many "down days" for me, and I am always wondering whether I am moving in the right track. It would be nice if you can share your academic stories as well.

As for Deacon mnc_hnn, I would like to hear your story (if you don't mind sharing). I feel these are issues we as coptic youth should share, and learn from our beloved sisters and brothers who have more experience then us.
  • My beloved sister Mnc_hnn, I apologize for mistaking you as a male. Please forgive me, and I would like to hear your story as I stated earlier.
  • Fr. Bishoy Kamel's brief biography made me cry!
  • [quote author=fatherbishoykamel link=topic=13981.msg161776#msg161776 date=1354870004]
    My beloved sister Mnc_hnn, I apologize for mistaking you as a male. Please forgive me, and I would like to hear your story as I stated earlier.

No problem, I don't mind being a deacon  ;D
  • [quote author=Purity2 link=topic=13981.msg161812#msg161812 date=1355103918]
    Fr. Bishoy Kamel's brief biography made me cry!

There is a movie, I saw it. It was cool. Was a long time ago though so I can't remember which website
  • Is this only for med students I would like to know if anyone is doing engineering?? I would like to know what there going through since I just started I still don't know much. But I am sry for all the med students. I understand they go through alot. I see them coming out of the med school at my college and they can barely lift there heads up. I have to talked to some of the coptic med students and a couple of them have exams on te coptic holidays. May God bless them. I know most of them are doing this because they want to help people through Christ. And God will reward them greatly :) :)
  • you don't know if you're doing the right thing or if God approves until you hit rock bottom. I was clinically depressed. All my uni colleagues became sick of my constant pessimism (don't blame them!) even I hated myself!

I walked out from my university exam certain that I failed. Even started planning for the summer retakes and letting everyone know i can't make any plans this summer.

God had other plans :) I prayed and I just told him I don't know what I'm doing. I don't think I can go through revision of this module again. I will fail the year. He had mercy on me. I finally have proof that God's got my back and I can't be happier. It is a miracle indeed. When so many students failed, God let me pass by a FRACTION of a mark. Thank God for today, yesterday and tomorrow!
  • [quote author=mnc_hnn link=topic=13981.msg161833#msg161833 date=1355139950]
    [quote author=Purity2 link=topic=13981.msg161812#msg161812 date=1355103918]
    Fr. Bishoy Kamel's brief biography made me cry!

There is a movie, I saw it. It was cool. Was a long time ago though so I can't remember which website

Thanks,  I'll look for that movie!
    I was thinking...a personality like Fr. Bishoy Kamel's would be a good one to have in the Medical profession. (Actually his personality would be good in any profession!). Because a good 'bedside' manner is very important for a doctor to have. And it would be a blessing to the sick to have such compassionate treatment.
    Sorry, I do not know any 'real' stories of med life; only what I see on t.v., like Grey's Anatomy etc. and I've only just started watching it bcuz I found the drama to be too disconcerting. Then suddenly, I just connected with it and couldn't stop watching; just to be tormented with the horrible finale! If Med School is anything like how t.v. and the movies portray it........God help us all!
    Though I am very interested in the healing process and how Christ healed people, I can not stomach the smell or sight of blood too much.
    I studied veterinary surgery for a bit. It was a harsh life for me. It was before I was baptized and I had no family support. The smells, the euthanasia, the constant drama took its toll on me. I broke my arm in a bike accident and ended my career.
  • I don't know why God let me fail physiotherapy I would have been a blessed and compassionate therapist it is clear because it was not part of the talents God gave me and besides as a career if we was to live long engineering is my favorite career
  • I have a story from dental school. Apparently I rubbed the professor in charge of my group the wrong way. It's strange since I never said anything to anybody while in school. I only wanted to finish and get a diploma. But this professor seemed to want to mold me by abusing me. He constantly forced me to sign up with him during clinical visits while everyone else enjoyed laid back professors. One time as I was working with him on a patient, I was observing his technique. Later that day, he taught a course to the entire class. He purposely looked for me before asking his question so no one else would answer. He wanted me to repeat all the steps of his technique in his order. When I got one step wrong, he threw the eraser at me across the room. Everyone thought it was a joke. It wasn't.  This triggered my clinical depression and all I wanted to do was get on a bus for 8 hours and go home. His abuse continued and I just did what I was supposed to do to the best of my ability. On the day of my graduation, this professor came up to my parents and said "It was a pleasure working with me and I always did outstanding work." Of course, my parents knew what he did. I initially thought he was simply lying to my parents. But I know believe God changed his heart and mine too. He gave me the strength to battle through depression and the abuse and help me through school. Then he softened the professor's heart and he realized I proved myself in God's way, not his.

I would love to say things gets better after school. It doesn't. I have many more stories of abuse during residency and private practice. It never ends. I occasionally run into financial disaster and I become depressed that I can't pay bills. But I continue to do the best I can and God takes care of the rest. This has been the fundamental foundation of my Coptic faith.

Isn't it wonderful we have a powerful, merciful and loving God? Isn't wonderful to be Coptic Orthodox?
  • wow, sorry to hear that.
    college is not always so awful, but sometimes we have harsh things in life that are hard to go through.
    it is true to say that God takes care of us, though.
    our job is to ask for help when we are struggling, and this way we can become more humble.

i had lots of bullying in school and in work, so i know very well how it is to have your career nearly destroyed or to fail exams because of bullying.
    every time i really struggled, God sent someone to encourage me to keep following Him and to spend time praying and connecting with His love.
    i know now that it was good for me to go through the hard times, in order to help others who also have hard times. i know how it is to have terrible work colleagues, so i try to be supportive to my colleagues.

even if we fail exams, this is not very important. what is important is to learn from God and to be more like Jesus Christ and the saints.
    it is great to have stories of the saints, as some were educated and some were not. (saint peter was considered uneducated and he got 3 letters into the Bible! no one on earth has a list of publications like that!)
    so you don't need to be educated or to pass exams in order to serve God.

unfortunately (for any students reading this!) we do not become more like Jesus by being lazy, so if you are studying, do it as if you were doing it for the Lord, if you are cleaning toilets or wiping bottoms, do it as if for the Lord. if you are running a business, do it as if for the Lord, taking care of your employees and the poor. if you are working for a horrible boss, imagine how much the Lord loves him or her.
    read ephesians 6 (especially verse 7).

may God bless u all in your work and study.
  • Dear Remnkemi,

Thank you so much for sharing your touching and clearly personal experience.

Your confession of the power, mercy and love of God has great force given how much you have suffered and endured; but it has exceedingly greater force given that you have braced yourself to suffer and endure further.

May your life continue to glorify our Lord Whose Strength is best made known in weakness, and may He always supply you with sufficiency in everything you need to abound in every good work!

God bless you.

Dear Mabsoota,

Thank you also for sharing your similarly moving experience. What a selfless attitude to life to disavow concern with the question of how to overcome one's harships and struggles and to instead be absorbed by the question of how one's hardships and struggles can serve to edify others and bring glory to God.

Thank you for the much needed wisdom which I, and many others I'm sure needed to be reminded of!

God bless you.
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=13981.msg162594#msg162594 date=1357918375]
    I have a story from dental school. Apparently I rubbed the professor in charge of my group the wrong way. It's strange since I never said anything to anybody while in school. I only wanted to finish and get a diploma. But this professor seemed to want to mold me by abusing me. He constantly forced me to sign up with him during clinical visits while everyone else enjoyed laid back professors. One time as I was working with him on a patient, I was observing his technique. Later that day, he taught a course to the entire class. He purposely looked for me before asking his question so no one else would answer. He wanted me to repeat all the steps of his technique in his order. When I got one step wrong, he threw the eraser at me across the room. Everyone thought it was a joke. It wasn't.  This triggered my clinical depression and all I wanted to do was get on a bus for 8 hours and go home. His abuse continued and I just did what I was supposed to do to the best of my ability. On the day of my graduation, this professor came up to my parents and said "It was a pleasure working with me and I always did outstanding work." Of course, my parents knew what he did. I initially thought he was simply lying to my parents. But I know believe God changed his heart and mine too. He gave me the strength to battle through depression and the abuse and help me through school. Then he softened the professor's heart and he realized I proved myself in God's way, not his.

I would love to say things gets better after school. It doesn't. I have many more stories of abuse during residency and private practice. It never ends. I occasionally run into financial disaster and I become depressed that I can't pay bills. But I continue to do the best I can and God takes care of the rest. This has been the fundamental foundation of my Coptic faith.

Isn't it wonderful we have a powerful, merciful and loving God? Isn't wonderful to be Coptic Orthodox?

Your story is very distressing even just to read! I don't think I could survive such a hostile life. It is very easy to fall into depression repeatedly. It takes a lot of fighting to say no, I do not want to fall again.

The problem with depression is that it even compromises your mental ability so even when you try to study, you can't take anything in. It's a horrible disease. Good that Jesus is the cure.
  • Can we discuss SCIENCE?
  • [quote author=So Minute, So Lonely, So Blue link=topic=13981.msg162874#msg162874 date=1358699909]
    Can we discuss SCIENCE?

Haha, wrong site I think
  • No surprise, I have more than one experience based view. After many disappointments, in many areas, I wish that I had the wisdom to make an adequate study of the reality of every endeavor that I consider to become involved in. In regard to venturesome career choices, I now think that the first step should be to start an honest critical study of the field that I am considering. The educators in that field are probably not the best source because of their vested interests. The Web probably offers the best opportunity to make most personal critical studies. Some fields, medicine for instance, have a few very dedicated, studied and gifted critics- they are not on your med. school/hospital staff (maybe have been kicked off).  My best MD friend claims that an elective critical history of medicine course was his most valuable and relevant med school experience. Of course it takes time and integrity to determine the critic's honesty, which is most important in every search for truth. The World and all that is in it is corrupt. The West, and maybe most of everything else, is secular, capitalist, money first. Most will lie, to some degree for money. We can expect this to be primary in every secular career, profession, industry, etc. It is generally "dog eat dog." If you are deceived to expect more, it is better to expect reality, so that you can be prepared when the choice to be like everyone else is offered to you. Don't slip and fall into the pit. Few contemporaries will help you go against the flow, or get out of the "money" pit. The bigger the money, the bigger the lies (sins).