Trying to get a friend back to church

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
One of my coworkers is Greek Orthodox and she doesn't go to to her church often.  I was talking to her about it today and she said that she doesn't like how the priests talk and how they think they know everything.  She said that the priests are the only reason why she doesn't like going to church anymore. I tried telling her that the priests are men of God and are supposed to guide you towards Him, not away. I am not sure what else to tell her so please give me advice! Thank you.

Comments

• Has she tried another parish? Is this her feeling about priests in general, or just at the parish she has attended?
  • Sometimes you don't have to say anything to her, rather you have to say it to God in prayer. This would be the most important step to take. Practically, instead of trying to convince her of something she has not internalized, give her a gift (maybe a book from her Orthodox Church - whether it is Greek, Russian, Serbian, Antiochian, etc). A good book would be "Becoming Orthodox". At least this way you will show you her you are not just talk. You genuinely care for her. Acts of kindness have a special way of internalizing virtues and thoughts that simple talk cannot do.
  • [quote author=Andrew link=topic=14034.msg162047#msg162047 date=1355715511]
    Has she tried another parish? Is this her feeling about priests in general, or just at the parish she has attended?

The other church near her house is very crowded so she does not go.  She always says "Priests think they are psychologists" telling the people what to do and thinking they are right and such. She is pretty old (About 30) so I believe its a thought that grew for a long time.

Thanks Remnkemi. Please pray her for also, and myself during Finals.
  • This is certainly a difficult situation you are trying to resolve. The problem is more likely one of pride (her not wanting to be told what to do) -- rather than the priests being "know-it-alls". . .the difficulty is getting her to realize that the priests are for her benefit and that she needs them, without directly telling her to humble herself (since few people like to be told that).

God bless you.