Hegomenship promotions (Fr. Mikhail Tobia)

guy
edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
My fellow sisters and brothers in Christ,
I pray that you are all doing well,
I wanted to speak about the Hegumen promotions concerning some priests.
I once heard from our Beloved Father His Grace Bishop David, the exarchal-steward-vecher of the American churches of His Holliness Pope Tawadros, proclaim in the arabic language that we "promote priests who have increased their services, eledest priests of churches, and are in good terms on various ideas". However his Grace kind of broke the rule, when he acquired from the resigned intremed Locum Tenen His emminence Metropolitan Bachomious, to promote Rev. Father Mikhail Tobia to the rank of hegomenship. The rule was broken because his reverence is not the eldest priest in his church. So is this right. This idea has been bothering me for quite a while now.

Comments

• [quote author=guy link=topic=14025.msg161984#msg161984 date=1355458791]
    My fellow sisters and brothers in Christ,
    I pray that you are all doing well,
    I wanted to speak about the Hegumen promotions concerning some priests.
    I once heard from our Beloved Father His Grace Bishop David, the exarchal-steward-vecher of the American churches of His Holliness Pope Tawadros, proclaim in the arabic language that we "promote priests who have increased their services, eledest priests of churches, and are in good terms on various ideas". However his Grace kind of broke the rule, when he acquired from the resigned intremed Locum Tenen His emminence Metropolitan Bachomious, to promote Rev. Father Mikhail Tobia to the rank of hegomenship. The rule was broken because his reverence is not the eldest priest in his church. So is this right. This idea has been bothering me for quite a while now.

That is a good question.  I don't know the answer; although I know of other churches that have more than one hegumen (who are not born on the same day lol).  Also, the length of time one is in the priesthood for needs to be considered - the eldest priest may have not been a priest for long, while a younger priest may have been priest of that parish for ages.

Also, I prefer that we don't use the word "promotion" - the church is not a secular organisation.
  • ahtet halilni ya Qawe,
    btw do you know ABouna Mihkail TObia
  • [quote author=guy link=topic=14025.msg161987#msg161987 date=1355461322]
    ahtet halilni ya Qawe,
    btw do you know ABouna Mihkail TObia

You have not sinned, it's just a bit of semantical fussiness on my part!
    No, I do not know him.
  • Thanks for the reassurance,
    I'm trying to not to make problems, since I was kicked off the site before.
    And now i have low self esteem and confidence
  • Well some background about him, he has been a priest for 32 years. His 32nd anniversary is actually today. He is a priest at Saint Mary Church of East Brunswick, NJ and has been since 1999. Up until 3 years ago, he was the eldest priest for about 1.5 years after Abouna Bishoy Demetrious reposed.  He goes to the hospital and visits the elderly homes almost every single day (literally).

There are other churches with multiple hegumens. Saint George and Saint Shenouda in Jersey City has Abouna Dawood and Abouna Makarious.
  • That's actually hilarious, because today's our priest 26th anniversery!!
  • I hear rumors that he has sever medical problems is that true?
  • [quote author=guy link=topic=14025.msg162008#msg162008 date=1355532545]
    I hear rumors that he has sever medical problems is that true?

Do you really think it is appropriate to ask personal questions about a named person's health on a public forum that is one of the most indexed Coptic sites on Google?

Do you also think it appropriate to question decisions of the clergy regarding the appointment and consecration of their members on this forum? Do you think it is your place to question? Do you think it is any of your business at all?

If this issue is weighty and really has been "bothering you for quite some time", might I suggest you take it up privately with the clergy in question or your own spiritual father rather than starting a thread on a public forum on the internet?

Please people, have some sense.
  • Took the words out of my mout JG ^
  • JG,
    If you are eyes causes you to sin pluck it off Mathew 5:29. By seeing my post you have sinned by being rude to me. Now since it's not practicle to pluck your eyes, I suggest you immediatley shut your computer screeen down like a boss.

As for amdah, don't be a follower but be a leader. Don't just agree with people for no apparent reason. You two need to stop this kind of nonsense.
  • [quote author=guy link=topic=14025.msg162008#msg162008 date=1355532545]
    I hear rumors that he has sever medical problems is that true?

NOOOO. Not true. I don't know why people talk about priests in their free time. He just has weak eyes and can't read small font like any other aging person. Thank God he is not sick.

But I do agree with the other people posting. This does not concern you and Abouna Mikhail has a giant heart and deserved the elevation. If you want to find out more, talk to HG Bishop David who was the one that brought up his elevation.
  • I know that Bishop David has great love towards Abouna Mihkail. This is something nice, because Abouna Mihkail is older in age and priesthood then Bishop David. It's nice when a younger bishop respects older preists.