Tishouri (the Alexandrian Tune)

pp
edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Does anyone happen to have a recording of this rather rare hymn?

Comments

• Yes i would love to hear this as well
  • wagdi bishara recorded it. pm him.
  • What is an alexandrain tune?
  • [quote author=abanoub2000 link=topic=9319.msg115081#msg115081 date=1275685162]
    What is an alexandrain tune?

just another way of the hymn that originated in Alex......not much people know it...but it is recorded by old cantors from there. I remember listening to the source from Wagdi.
  • I would love to hear this hymn.
  • so are we aloud to sing that tune in church?
  • [quote author=abanoub2000 link=topic=9319.msg115095#msg115095 date=1275697228]
    so are we aloud to sing that tune in church?

Well, if your priest will let aside a few minutes from Good Friday to let you (and your Church's Deacon Choir if you teach them how to chant it) chant this hymn, then of course you can sing that tune. If I were you though, I would teach the hymn to the deacons before you chant it in Church so that it will sound like a united choir.
  • so this is basically the long tishori, like there is the long tai shori?
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=9319.msg115101#msg115101 date=1275710928]
    so this is basically the long tishori, like there is the long tai shori?

Well, yes, but Tishouri is a little different. There are 3 different long Tishouris:
    Tishoury El Hazayni (Sahidic)
    Tishoury El Hazayni El Kabeer (Sahidic)
    Tishoury El Hazayni (Alexandrian) - Which is the longest of the three and the rarest of the three. Very few known cantors have actually recorded it.
  • oh, u learn new things everyday! ;D ;)
  • Yes, but now I'm eager to listen to the Alexandrian one and to learn it because I want to understand why only the known cantors of Alexandria recorded it.
  • [quote author=aem581 link=topic=9319.msg115108#msg115108 date=1275712383]
    Yes, but now I'm eager to listen to the Alexandrian one and to learn it because I want to understand why only the known cantors of Alexandria recorded it.

there are MANY Alexandrian hymns that are not famous.....for 2 main reasons:
    - the fact that M.Mikhael didn't get to them.......therefore many now thinks that they are just made up even though we DO HAVE old recordings of cantors.
    - and the fact that many Alex are are just tooooo selfish and like to keep something that is valuable....which is actually how many old cantors were. M. Mikhael learned many hymns from older cantors behind their backs because they simply didn't want to share the hymn they knew.

for example: we have old sources for almost ALL the 10-15 Greek hymns we have in our church that were borrowed around the time of Pope Kerrelos IV (i think he is the fourth...not sure).....IN A COPTIC STYLE and not like what Albair is doing which is just taking the Greek hymn, slowing it down a little and calls it coptic. they are recorded by an old cantor from Alex.
  • As impossible of a task that this will probably sound, is there any way to make these Alexandrian recordings public? Or are the Alexandrians just going to be too selfish and want to keep it to themselves?
  • [quote author=aem581 link=topic=9319.msg115110#msg115110 date=1275713277]
    As impossible of a task that this will probably sound, is there any way to make these Alexandrian recordings public? Or are the Alexandrians just going to be too selfish and want to keep it to themselves?

well....many try....more things are dafintly out there.....but there are also those who also just disagree....

don't worry about it. give it time. learn. do your best as a deacon in what you love and cherish in God's realm. i learned, even though in a very young age i consider, that many things need to just be without a valid, clear and good reason....that includes dealing with the consequence of people's action rather than the usual--dealing with them acting  :)
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=9319.msg115109#msg115109 date=1275712915]
    for example: we have old sources for almost ALL the 10-15 Greek hymns we have in our church that were borrowed around the time of Pope Kerrelos IV (i think he is the fourth...not sure).....IN A COPTIC STYLE and not like what Albair is doing which is just taking the Greek hymn, slowing it down a little and calls it coptic. they are recorded by an old cantor from Alex.

Very well said. Thank you
    [coptic]oujai qen `P[C[/coptic]
  • It's been over two weeks since I sent the message to Wagdi asking him to send it to me and he never replied. What should I do?
  • [quote author=aem581 link=topic=9319.msg115880#msg115880 date=1277248589]
    It's been over two weeks since I sent the message to Wagdi asking him to send it to me and he never replied. What should I do?

he's a busy guy  :)
  • lol, and i am a patient one...What is he up to anyways?
  • [quote author=aem581 link=topic=9319.msg115885#msg115885 date=1277256161]
    lol, and i am a patient one...What is he up to anyways?

i don't really know....haven't talked to him for a while.
  • I haven't seen him online in such a long time.
  • Wagdi ignored me :-(
  • I don't think it is available on tasbeha.org...
  • So, to clarify because I was a bit confused from the responses to this post. This "Alexandrian" tune for Tishouri is for Good Friday or the Annual tune?
  • Good Friday or Feast of the Cross...not Annual.
  • only good friday....it's a sorrowful hymn.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=9319.msg115109#msg115109 date=1275712915]

Hey Tasgeel, just like at texas  ;)

Albair recently taught us the hymn "tw dipno" one opf the greek hymns which is still chanted in there church today during the eucharist. However, Albair clearly explained that most of the hymns had old recordings, except 3-5 which didnt. The hymn is very nice and said on Holy Thursday, and different tune than the greeks.
  • I Have a recording of it I got a while back from Cantor Wagdi from the source in Alexandria he learned it from. When I got it, I asked specifically if I am allowed to distribute it and he was so nice he said yes.  If the webmaster contacts me I can send them a copy to upload. It is actually about 15 minutes long.