Is it true that Pope Shenouda Said...

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Is it true that Pope Shenouda Said that he would not be the pope that would hand the church over to christ, but rather pope 118 (Anba Tawadros) would be the one to do so.

Comments

• I don't think he said suck thing. He didn't even say anything about the next Pope.....
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13835.msg160920#msg160920 date=1352079144]
    I don't think he said suck thing. He didn't even say anything about the next Pope.....

minadawoud didn't mean that Pope Shenouda predicted his successor.  He only meant that he predicted that he would be the last pope.
  • Wow, that is intersting because there was a Roman Catholic prophecy which said that Pope Benedict would be the last Catholic pope.

It seems a lot of people are saying the world is going to end in the next few years.
  • [quote author=Somali link=topic=13835.msg160923#msg160923 date=1352080722]
    Wow, that is intersting because there was a Roman Catholic prophecy which said that Pope Benedict would be the last Catholic pope.

It seems a lot of people are saying the world is going to end in the next few years.

I heard this too! Also, about the Coptic Door of the Prophecy indicating we are in the last era. Lord have mercy.
  • I don't get what in the world is the problem with people NEEDING to know when is the end of the world?!....what is the problem with just living a life with Christ until He chooses to take us each in the right time Whenever He desires?!
  • Why would someone claim he would be the last pope? That only implies he believed the Church would fail after he departed. Knowing how many times Pope Shenouda encouraged us that the Church will never fail, I find any prophecy about "last" anything concerning the Church is from the devil.

As for the world going to end in the next few years, it is completely, completely unbiblical. St Paul made it clear. There will be no end until the man of lawless is revealed. If the end of the world is coming up in the next few years, who is the anti-christ? What about all the signs that will occur before the anti-christ? What about the return of 2 men in Revelation 11? What about the defeat of the mighty king of great countenance killing the prince of princes in Daniel 8? None of these things happened.

And minatasgeel is right. In the grand scheme of things, who cares when the end of the world is? The end of an individual's life comes when Christ sees fit. And it is not the end but the beginning - whether of eternal joy with Christ or eternal condemnation. It becomes a matter of the person's commitment to Christ, not the amount of time left for the end of the world.
  • The end of time prophecies are important, and should not be discarded so easily. They are there for a reason.

Yes, the end of the life of a person is the end of time for him / her, but for those who live through these times (maybe our times), they need to be very watchful. 

No other than our Lord foretold them because of the deception of these times.
  • I agree with Stavro. We need to pay attention, be ready, and keep our eyes and ears ready. Yes Remnkemi, those things you have mentioned have not yet occurred. But many other things have. We live in strange times right now and yes, we shouldn't be preoccupied with the end of the world, or throw our lives away thinking the end is near anyway, but we shouldn't ignore it.
  • We should be ready, guarding our eyes and ears regardless of the end of the world. What "other things" have happened that fulfill any end of time prophecy?

I never said we should ignore the end of the world prophecies. In fact, I pointed out why the end is not here because of these biblical prophecies. However, there are only two good reasons why end of world prophecies exist. The main reason is to prevent anyone from being deceived by false prophets and false Christs saying the end is now. This is what Jesus said to his disciples and this is what St Paul says to the Thessalonians. The second reason is to reaffirm that God's promise to end Satan's reign, corruption and things that fail and to start a new heaven and earth that does not pass away. Both reasons reveal God's mercy and love to mankind.

Every generation has claimed they live in strange times and the end of the world is at hand. No one was edified by knowing the end date. And anyone who claims the Church will fail or cease is a wrong and an enemy of God. Period.
  • The Bible warns us that there will be great signs and wonders that will take place around us, and no one would even notice. 100 years ago, if you told someone that people would get on a shuttle and go to the moon, or if you show them a pill, tell them if your wife takes it, they would not get pregnant, or that you could have all the information you could ever hope for at your finer tips, or that you could turn off your oven/air condition/security system at home from work. Wifi, Smartphones etc. These are the great wonders the bible warns us of. We are in the half a time mentioned in revelation, which is the last era.
  • I'm sorry I have to disagree with you. The Bible never said advances in technology would take place and no one would notice. The Bible never said advances in technology are signs of the end of the world. The Bible never warned against advances in technology. The Bible does say that at the end of times, the anti-christ will come, there will be wars and rumors of wars, brother will betray brother, there will be an abomination that causes desolation, people will ask the mountains to fall on them, there will first be a falling away, and other signs. The Bible never says these are things are hidden but like the harvest, the sign is openly shown to anyone. The Bible doesn't say hide when these things happen. The Bible doesn't say that if these things happen anyone can claim they are the last in an era. In fact, in the middle of these signs in Revelation 6:11, we are told that those who were slain for the word of truth complained to the Lord for delaying judgment against the earth and God says they are not the last and they have to wait for others.

It should be noted when I say the Bible does or doesn't say something, the patristic fathers also speak this way.

And what exactly is the half a time we are in? It is generally accepted that "Time, times and half a time" in Daniel and Revelation relate to "Year, years and half a year" or 3 1/2 years or 42 months or 1260 days (which is mentioned many times in these two books). The phrase refers to a temporary time period (of the king's defeat of the saints in Daniel 7 and the woman's flight in Revelation 12.) By definition, "last era" cannot be a temporary state. Where in Revelation does it say the last era is the half a time?

This is exactly the problem with end of the world prophecy interpretation. People get confused and claim things not said in the Bible or the Church fathers. And we can include Pope Shenouda in there too.
  • Loock russian movie ''ЧЕКИСТ'' 1991 ,it is in russian but you'll understand everything...
  • The iLoghos app is now available, with many features. And it's the biggest coptic app in the world!

AppStore Link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iloghos-int./id575957791?l=de&ls=1&mt=8
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13835.msg160927#msg160927 date=1352085706]
    I don't get what in the world is the problem with people NEEDING to know when is the end of the world?!....what is the problem with just living a life with Christ until He chooses to take us each in the right time Whenever He desires?!

just wishing He'd hurry up though