violent vidoegames???

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
i have been playing call of duty for about 2 years now and i have been wondering weather it is wrong to play games like modern warefare 3 or black ops. i am 14 yrs old and i am unsure if these games are negative to my spiritual life. i only play on weekends because of my studies etc. i usually play for 1-2 hours on saturday and sunday each. 

please anwser me and pray for me. if u have been thro this please include ur experiences as well

Comments

• I would like an answer to this too. Being that I am such a fan of the KotOR series and the SSB games...

But ultimately, I think you should ask your Priest.
  • Speaking from personal experience, as you mature in your spiritual life, grow closer to God, and enter the real world, you will have enough adventure, battles, and fulfillment in your real life that you will lose interest in video games.

I would encourage now to keep it in moderation. Only on the weekends is a good plan, so that it does not affect on your school work or studies. If you notice certain video games are causing you to be more violent or elicit lust or temptations, then I would recommend cutting those specific games off entirely, and find something else to busy your time with.
  • [quote author=servant33 link=topic=13782.msg160621#msg160621 date=1350915414]
    Speaking from personal experience, as you mature in your spiritual life, grow closer to God, and enter the real world, you will have enough adventure, battles, and fulfillment in your real life that you will lose interest in video games.

I would encourage now to keep it in moderation. Only on the weekends is a good plan, so that it does not affect on your school work or studies. If you notice certain video games are causing you to be more violent or elicit lust or temptations, then I would recommend cutting those specific games off entirely, and find something else to busy your time with.
    To elaborate on what I said...

I second this post by servant33. Even though I am a fan of the games I mentioned above, I rarely play them nowadays. Not only because I rarely have time, but because I am not that interested in them anymore (even though I did enjoy them back in the good old days :P).
  • while some games improve reaction time, they may also be detrimental to your health in various ways; eyesight, sitting still for too long (cardiovascular disease) and even problems with joints related to what you use to play these games (fingers and wrists).

It may be obvious to say that for instance, when you watch a sad movie, you may feel down yourself. If you watch a comedy, you laugh along to the jokes. If you watch a violent explicit movie, indeed you may feel aggressive yourself.
    this may be applicable to violent games as well.

keep yourself in check. Be aware of whether you react or treat people differently after playing certain games and whether it makes you impatient.

• Some things need a break so you can do them again when you feel more calm
    Denying yourself these things have an appearance of wisdom and humility but are doctrines of man st Paul says
  • i agree with mnc_hnn,
    i haven't found anywhere in the Bible or teachings of the church fathers the encouragement to meditate on violence.
    if u find games that have a sports theme or involve building an imaginary house or business faster than yr competitors, surely that is better than violence.
    when i was young (a while ago now!), people used to watch violent films and copy them. these days it is violent video games.
    the ancient romans used to entertain themselves watching Christians fighting the lions.
    none of these things are beneficial.