Tune for Feast of Cross

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Why are the tunes/rites for the feast of the cross the same as Palm sunday? What relationships do the feasts share?

Comments

• [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=13723.msg160072#msg160072 date=1348343763]
    Why are the tunes/rites for the feast of the cross the same as Palm sunday? What relationships do the feasts share?

yes im lost also.
  • A contemplation I heard goes like this. The tune of Palm Sunday is a royal tune. Where the people glorified him as the king.  El sha3anini, lah melooky. Hope you guys understood that lol Christ also took Royalty and Lordship on the cross. He showed his Lordship and his Divinity on the cross. The King showed his power and glory along with his love and compassion when he spread his hands and gave everything up for those whom he created. He didnt come to be glorified but he lived his life as a servant. When he finally completed what he came for, he was glorified as the King, not at that time by all the people, but by the Father. "Father, glorify Your name.” tThen a voice came from heaven, saying, “I have both glorified it and will glorify it again.”29 Therefore the people who stood by and heard it said that it had thundered. Others said, “An angel has spoken to Him.”30 Jesus answered and said, t“This voice did not come because of Me, but for your sake. 31 Now is the judgment of this world; now tthe ruler of this world will be cast out. 32 And I, tif I am tlifted up from the earth, will draw tall peoples to Myself.”
    John 12:28

Pray for me
  • I know it is the name of the tune, but what does el shannini mean?
  • I just said lol From what I've heard it means Royal. Ill do some more research and get back to you
  • [quote author=christ_rose link=topic=13723.msg160128#msg160128 date=1348522523]
    I just said lol From what I've heard it means Royal. Ill do some more research and get back to you

Sorry, I did not see your post.
  • I don't think Sha'anini refers to anything Royal...i always thought the word was derived from the Hebrew Hosha3na, hosanna meaning save us.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13723.msg160132#msg160132 date=1348553243]
    I don't think Sha'anini refers to anything Royal...i always thought the word was derived from the Hebrew Hosha3na, hosanna meaning save us.

So, why do we use el shaanini tune for Palm Sunday and the feast of the cross and not any other day?
  • [quote author=christ_rose link=topic=13723.msg160126#msg160126 date=1348522259]
    A contemplation I heard goes like this. The tune of Palm Sunday is a royal tune. Where the people glorified him as the king.  El sha3anini, lah melooky. Hope you guys understood that lol Christ also took Royalty and Lordship on the cross. He showed his Lordship and his Divinity on the cross. The King showed his power and glory along with his love and compassion when he spread his hands and gave everything up for those whom he created. He didnt come to be glorified but he lived his life as a servant. When he finally completed what he came for, he was glorified as the King, not at that time by all the people, but by the Father. "Father, glorify Your name.” tThen a voice came from heaven, saying, “I have both glorified it and will glorify it again.”29 Therefore the people who stood by and heard it said that it had thundered. Others said, “An angel has spoken to Him.”30 Jesus answered and said, t“This voice did not come because of Me, but for your sake. 31 Now is the judgment of this world; now tthe ruler of this world will be cast out. 32 And I, tif I am tlifted up from the earth, will draw tall peoples to Myself.”
    John 12:28

Pray for me

That's a nice contemplation but is that really why we use the tune? I mean no other tune in the church is this deep with its reasoning.