Non-Christians: Salvation

Hello,

I know that the Coptic church believes that one who is not Christian can by no means enter the Kingdom of Heaven, right? One of my Catholic friends asked me why that was the case, and I was not sure exactly how to respond; I did point out the verse, "Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit." But besides that I didnt know what else to say. Explanations please?

Pray for me

Comments

• "who is not with me is agianst me"
    Matthew 12:30
  • Thanks markmarcos! I agree 100percent, but one may reply saying,"how is a good moral person against God?" and I would be lost for words again ;)
  • He may have good morals but also he MUST worship the God who created him and his morals/personality.
  • + He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:36

+Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

+ And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.  He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. 1 John 5:11-12

• Here's something I wanted to ask (and I hope I don't hijack the thread by asking this)...

What is the OO view on those individuals who have died without even hearing the name of the Lord Jesus Christ? And being that Holy Orthodoxy teaches us that the Holy Mysteries are necessary for salvation, does that mean Protestants won't be saved? What about RCs who do recognize the salvific effect of the seven Holy Mysteries, but at the same time have (lamentably) fallen into heresy and schism? Are they too without salvation?

Thanks, and please do not argue
  • [quote author=Severian link=topic=13695.msg159955#msg159955 date=1347835459]
    Here's something I wanted to ask (and I hope I don't hijack the thread by asking this)...

What is the OO view on those individuals who have died without even hearing the name of the Lord Jesus Christ? And being that Holy Orthodoxy teaches us that the Holy Mysteries are necessary for salvation, does that mean Protestants won't be saved? What about RCs who do recognize the salvific effect of the seven Holy Mysteries, but at the same time have (lamentably) fallen into heresy and schism? Are they too without salvation?

wow i would love to know the answer also! great question! i hope somone can answer it.
  • [quote author=markmarcos link=topic=13695.msg159959#msg159959 date=1347844165]
    [quote author=Severian link=topic=13695.msg159955#msg159955 date=1347835459]
    Here's something I wanted to ask (and I hope I don't hijack the thread by asking this)...

wow i would love to know the answer also! great question! i hope somone can answer it.

I know I am not the best one to answer, but my dad told me that God gives everyone in his life an oppurtunity to know the truth God. God is  fair, but it depends of the person if he want to accept God and learn about him or not.
  • I have asked a similar question before and here is the best answer that I got,

When the same Abba Anthony thought about the depth of the judgments of God, he asked, "Lord, how is it that some die when they are young, while others drag on to extreme old age? Why are there those who are poor and those who are rich? Why do wicked men proper and why are the just in need? He heard a voice answering him, "Anthony, keep your attention on yourself; these things are according to the judgment of God, and it is not to your advantage to known anything about them."

• [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=13695.msg159979#msg159979 date=1347920094]
    I have asked a similar question before and here is the best answer that I got,

When the same Abba Anthony thought about the depth of the judgments of God, he asked, "Lord, how is it that some die when they are young, while others drag on to extreme old age? Why are there those who are poor and those who are rich? Why do wicked men proper and why are the just in need? He heard a voice answering him, "Anthony, keep your attention on yourself; these things are according to the judgment of God, and it is not to your advantage to known anything about them."

Do you mind citing the source? Thanks for the contribution using the words of our Holy Father Abba Anthony.
  • "Selections from the Sayings of the Desert Fathers." Published by Cistercian Publication: Page 7