Bought at a price

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s. 1 Corinthians 6

What does it mean when we say we were "bought at a price"? If we belong to God then how do we still have free will?

Comments

• I think it is referring to our sin.

The original sin held us in debt. Sin made us unpure. God paid the price through Jesus' crucifixion. So we are no longer in debt. We are free. We have been cleansed so we are now asked to maintain the purity we were granted.
  • i know Christ died for every individual, but it just seemed strange pondering on the "bought us" part it would seem to suggest universal salvation, but i guess John 3:16 clears that up

actually the main thing that intrigued me was how much worse a punishment must be for us if we sin knowing that we are like something that was purchased but defective, and how good it could be using that verse in times of temptation if we imagine we want to live up to His expectations of us

im sorry