Coptic priests

edited December 1969 in Non-Orthodox Inquiries
Hello

I'm wondering if coptic priests offer council on personal concerns similar to priests/ministers in other sects of Christianity? If so, will a priest likely speak with me if I am not a part of the church?

I am in my late 20s and romantically involved with a guy who is coptic, not religious but very involved in the church from a community/cultural perspective. I was raised agnostic and tend to keep the specifics of my spiritual beliefs to myself but my family celebrates all Christian holidays and participates in many multicultural events. Our relationship is quite a mess and I think many of those problems come from differences in our upbringings. I would very much like to speak with a priest in hope that he may be able to offer me some guidance and insight into the ways of the church and how that is likely influencing my guy's behaviour. I think our relationship is likely coming to an end and I don't expect my conversation with a priest to change that. I do hope that it will give me some clarity and peace of mind as to how things have unfolded. 

Comments

• [quote author=Vienna link=topic=13610.msg158675#msg158675 date=1344461082]
    Hello

I'm wondering if coptic priests offer council on personal concerns similar to priests/ministers in other sects of Christianity? If so, will a priest likely speak with me if I am not a part of the church?

I am in my late 20s and romantically involved with a guy who is coptic, not religious but very involved in the church from a community/cultural perspective. I was raised agnostic and tend to keep the specifics of my spiritual beliefs to myself but my family celebrates all Christian holidays and participates in many multicultural events. Our relationship is quite a mess and I think many of those problems come from differences in our upbringings. I would very much like to speak with a priest in hope that he may be able to offer me some guidance and insight into the ways of the church and how that is likely influencing my guy's behaviour. I think our relationship is likely coming to an end and I don't expect my conversation with a priest to change that. I do hope that it will give me some clarity and peace of mind as to how things have unfolded. 

Yes its very likely that he will talk to you.
    If one says no. Try going to another COPTIC church and asking. (doubt he will say no)

Anything else?
  • Priests will happily talk to you.

The only concern is that the priority here is your spiritual life because it has to come before any relationship.

If it is in any other order, it will not be built on a firm foundation and it is a matter of time for it to fail.

Wish you all the best.
  • and what if you cant find that kind of priest at you church!! like my FOC only tells me "dont do it again ya habiby" when i confess and never try to tell me how to get get over my sin by any practice or something... plus when i ask him about anything about faith and ty to get answers he tells me that "balash el hagat de ya habiby just pray and take communion" what if i love to question faith and need to know more so to be ready for whoever gonna ask me at school or work..
  • I know the type of people you are talking about, isn't very helpful to the thinking minds.

Then do find an opportunity to visit another church/monastery and meet new priests/monks and ask for their contact email. Ask them your questions. Many priests have facebook nowadays too.

Good luck