why did God make other planets and stars?

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
Why did God make other Planets and stars that have no part in our lives except for looking up at them at night? Why didn’t god just make our planet and the sun to give us life. Why did he make so many galaxies and universes what was the point if he just wanted us (humans) to be here?  ???

Comments

• For one thing, I think it serves to ignite our awe in God. I feel that He made them to show everyone that there is Something bigger than us out there.

When I was visiting the Monastery of St. Anthony in Egypt, we took an overnight trip and it happened to be the night of the Perseids meteor shower. The monastery is up in them mountains so the sky was FULL of stars, like something you would see in an animated movie or a painting, or one of those pictures taken by the Hubble telescope. The meteors were coming every few seconds. I cannot begin to describe the splendor or the beauty of it. To this day it is the most spectacular thing I have seen in my entire life. I am in awe.
  • "The heavens declare the glory of God;
    And the firmament shows His handiwork."
    (Psalm 19:1)
  • What you're question really asks is "Does God have a reason for the Creation?". This philosophical question has been asked thousands of times. There are many answers. Most answers lead to more follow up questions. So if I say God's reason for creating the universe is X, an immediate question becomes "Why X and not Y?". We are now on an infinite road of questions that ask about cause and effect.

A follow up question to your question is "Does God have reasons for creating the universe that have nothing to do with humanity"? If you explore this question, maybe you'll find a good answer to your question. Just be careful not to go down that infinite road.
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=13346.msg156223#msg156223 date=1338402374]
    What you're question really asks is "Does God have a reason for the Creation?". This philosophical question has been asked thousands of times. There are many answers. Most answers lead to more follow up questions. So if I say God's reason for creating the universe is X, an immediate question becomes "Why X and not Y?". We are now on an infinite road of questions that ask about cause and effect.

A follow up question to your question is "Does God have reasons for creating the universe that have nothing to do with humanity"? If you explore this question, maybe you'll find a good answer to your question. Just be careful not to go down that infinite road.

Right on! Also, Blaze Pascal wondered why God, even though there were so many planets, would care about this one spec of dust called earth, let alone the people living on it. He understood that we had to balance out man's lower qualities with his higher. So while we are so small and seemingly insignificant, we have an intellect that can understand the whole show. So we are not "small." We are very significant.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • No different than he created fruits, animals, water, etc.--for our enjoyment and to be able to appreciate the wonder of His Love.

All of His Creations are interconnected.  The different aspects of creation are intricately placed so that even a star that is billions and billions of light years away can affect us on earth.  This created "glimpse" into infinity allows us to get a feeling and appreciation (in our limited ways) of He Who is without limit.
  • thanks guys now i understand this concept  :D
  • Just passing by to say hi to all.

I'd like to add that it is a concrete proof of God's powerful Word, that He always creates awesome interlinked varieties that range from the smallest to the biggest things, all by the power of His Word. This proves His unlimited power and wisdom. It's also an undeniable proof that He is everlasting and not limited by time since created things like stars are in different stages of their life cycles. To us stars are also a reminder of the uncountable celestial hosts.

GBU+
  • I'd also like to add a scientific aspect as to why God may have created the stars. Like ilovesaintmark said, all of God's creations are interconnected and serve each other in some way. stars operate by fusing elements to make even heavier elements. very large stars, as they near their death in what is called a supernova, get really hot and are able to make those especially heavy elements like iron, carbon, oxygen. while stars start out with only hydrogen as the building block, they slowly fuse more and more atoms and store them in their core. these elements reach us through the star's massive supernova explosion.
    as humans, we have iron in our blood, we exhale carbon, and we inhale oxygen. so in essence, our world as we know it today wouldn't exist without stars and galaxies, which although are completely out of our reach, serve us in hidden ways.
  • Well, I think God doesn't create stuff randomly or to show that he can.

remember it's all for the benefit of humans. Stars and planets were a major part of everyday's life before inventing the GPS. the Magi came to Jesus led by a Star.
  • Other stars and planets are the testimony of power of that Almighty.. I believe this is to keep human beings grounded always in order to make their flourishing guaranteed. And second thing God by making these astronomical things increased the beauty of nature that is also in favour of we human beings.. :)

•   Why did God make other Planets and stars that have no part in our lives except for looking up at them at night? Why didn’t god just make our planet and the sun to give us life. Why did he make so many galaxies and universes what was the point if he just wanted us (humans) to be here? 

First of all I don't think the first statement that God has no part in our lives except for looking up at them at night is true. We are in relationship to all our surroundings. God has told us he was at the beginning: Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. That is His truth and one he shares for those who believe in him. We believe it by faith and it is this faith that will say we are going to be with him at the end.

Whether it is big bang theory or any other, it doesn't matter as theories don't give us faith. The scriptures tell us more truth about life than any theory. Some is in metathor, so is symbolic. This is for faith as it is for those who are to believe in him. Jesus spoke in parables as this was also to give faith in him. If he said it plainly, then he would of being like the rest of us who explain things plainly on our own opinion.

We say it is the truth because God says that is the truth and his truth is full of purpose and fullfillment. Life happens the way he says it happens and if you read the scriptures and the testaments then you follow a truth about our life now but also our future.
  • edited July 2015
    To keep the Cosmologists, Astronomers, and star gazers busy :)  and yes to magnify his Name. What i really don't  understand is why he created bugs ! oh...to keep the exterminators busy...LOL and Politians brag about creating jobs; when do you see the Lord bragging about the millions of Jobs He created? 
  • edited July 2015
    I remember this testimony of a party girl who used to party heavily. She had some kind of cardiac arrest and died. 

Its all documented on YouTube. 

She wasn't particularly religious in anyway, but she had this out of body experience. She floated up to heaven. She looked down and the 1st thing that impacted her was how insignificant life on earth is. Everything we are all concerned about, worrying about, lying about, all our desires seem kind of insignificant.

Maybe God created these stars and Galaxies and planets to teach us about how insignificant or fragile our life is on earth; the same way He created animals to teach us about ourselves and how to improve ourselves spiritually ("learn from the ant") that He created planets and stars to make us feel that LIFE doesn't revolve around the earth: there are more significant, more valuable and real experiences that Planet Earth and all it has to offer. 

God is probably drawing our attention to these things. When you look at how big and many Galaxies and planets there are, you cannot but stand in awe at how insignificant the Earth is compared to them. 

The feeling this girl had was that we are like ants just going around doing nothing. 

I'm sure that God created these planets for our benefit in directing our thoughts and hearts to the fact that it is stupid if not folly to be focused and be attached to Earth. This world will pass away.
  • Zoxasi, while it is a important which this girl learned, i would be weary in believing the authenticity of her actual experience. What she believes happened to her could be very different than what actually happened to her