Tamav Irene

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi,

So I heard from someone that some time ago Tamav Irene died for like 40 minutes but then came back to life, and while she was dead she saw heaven and wrote 4 books of what she saw. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any links where I can get more information (or if there is an english version or summary available of the books) because I am not sure what to search, especially since I don't think there is a standard spelling for Tamav/Umina Irene/Eriny/Irini

Thanks!

Comments

• [quote author=servant33 link=topic=9273.msg114724#msg114724 date=1274677338]
    Hi,

So I heard from someone that some time ago Tamav Irene died for like 40 minutes but then came back to life, and while she was dead she saw heaven and wrote 4 books of what she saw. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any links where I can get more information (or if there is an english version or summary available of the books) because I am not sure what to search, especially since I don't think there is a standard spelling for Tamav/Umina Irene/Eriny/Irini

Thanks!

Im also interested in this story. I've heard a lot about her. I have her book in French, but I'd like more information about this most amazing story.

I mean, people saw her hovering on the floor (1 meter above ground level).

When she went to heaven, she explained it in terms of "Positions" - she was even saying that there were some people she knew in very very bad positions there. This story makes me worried.

"If the righteous are hardly saved...".

I don't know what to tell you, but this is probably the most remarkable story i've ever read from any Church saint.
  • Yes, that would be great! I really need this book!
  • There are actually quite a few books like this which have been written through the ages. I can think of several from the ancient Orthodox times in Britain.

I don't think that the Church has ever made a judgement about any one in particular of these sorts of works, but they serve as a useful and necessary reminder to us, even if the Church does not want to say that this or that idea is literally exact.

Father Peter
  • The story is in fact true however I don't think it was necessarily for 40 minutes. I knew tamav and she told us about it herself, but I don't know about the books. I doubt she would have written about it. When it happened the story made it into the newspaper.
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=9273.msg114957#msg114957 date=1275489712]
    The story is in fact true however I don't think it was necessarily for 40 minutes. I knew tamav and she told us about it herself, but I don't know about the books. I doubt she would have written about it. When it happened the story made it into the newspaper.

you met tamav irene in real life before?
  • Yeah when she was alive
  • Hey..i dont know about the book of tmav irene which i would love to have...
    but there is one called 90 minutes in Heaven..its actually a really good book about this guy dying, going to heaven & coming back. What it describes about heaven is really amazing =]
    God Bless you =]
  • I would not recommend that Coptic Orthodox folk read Protestant books, and this one in particular is criticised even by many Protestants themselves.

I would suggest that it is wise to ask one's spiritual father before reading non-Orthodox books, and to discuss with him what has been read afterwards. We would not allow someone who was not Orthodox to come into the pulpit in our Church and teach non-Orthodox teachings, so we should be equally careful that outside the Church we do not allow ourselves to be exposed to error.

Father Peter
  • Oh ok thankyou Father
  • I wasn't directing that to you in particular, Abounasarecool, but it is a general point that people should not read Protestant books without seeking the permission of their spiritual father.

Father Peter
  • I also really long to read her books.
  • My Aunt is a nun that was in the same monestary as Tamav Irene. I met her and we talked for a long time. Also, when i was  in the liturgy i saw her looking at an icon of Jesus' Resurrection and smiling then talking to it. She is such a holy lady.

May her prayers be with us
  • I found a great site about Tamav Irene. It is www.tamavireneforall.com It contains books about her and and videos and praises by her
  • awesome site! i have friends who met her too and she really loved God and was very humble.
    :)
    but do u know her date (year) of birth? i have read 3 of her books (in english, brought direct by a friend from the monastery in egypt) and none of them say how old she was when she reposed.
  • Having read books about Tamav Ireni I was keen to venerate her tomb in Cairo which I did. I was also able to tell HH Pope Shenouda personally about my devotion to her.

She is a very inspiring person and you can find videos on Youtube.

Great inspiration!

• Regarding the date of birth of Tamav Irene, I think she was born around 1940 or one year earlier because she joined the convent at the age of 13 (in 1952) and later was ordained as the abbess of the convent by Pope Kyrillos VI in 1962. I met her a lot of times and she is much more than people can imagine. First time I met her was for 10 minutes only and like a magnet I was attracted to her. I have never seen somebody like her before or after.  She was a window through which we looked at the beauty of heaven.  It will take days and days to tell you about her.  But the good thing to console everybody is that many see her in visions after her departure and they never knew anything about her before. One day I will write more about her in detail.
  • Please do write. It would be awesome to hear more of her story. Also, I typically only her miracles and the like about these contemporary saints. Pope Kyrollos was, to me, a man of miracles, but I never actually heard of his teachings. When I met a disciple of his, he told me many of the things which Pope Kyrollos taught him and I was blown away. I was wondering if you had any specific teachings of Tamav?

RO