monestary recordings

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
does anyone know where i can get the monks in the monestar in texas. i want to hear their tasbeha i heard it was amasing.

Comments

• [quote author=markmarcos link=topic=13205.msg154848#msg154848 date=1335044287]
    does anyone know where i can get the monks in the monestar in texas. i want to hear their tasbeha i heard it was amasing.

i don't have any recordings...but i can tell you a little about it.

it is all in coptic. it is very quick. and they do tasbeha everyday at 4 am.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13205.msg154849#msg154849 date=1335044987]
    [quote author=markmarcos link=topic=13205.msg154848#msg154848 date=1335044287]

lol, memooories :) Yes it is veery quick.
  • [quote author=Timothym link=topic=13205.msg154861#msg154861 date=1335116546]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13205.msg154849#msg154849 date=1335044987]
    [quote author=markmarcos link=topic=13205.msg154848#msg154848 date=1335044287]

lol, memooories :) Yes it is veery quick.

we might of broken the record for the fastest morning doxology==maybe less than 3 mins.
  • 3 minutes! wow...amazing
  • I have them. and yes record setting. Abouna isi is the best btw!
  • Why is it said so quickly? How is there a blessing in saying it as fast as possible? I don't understand.
  • It is not a duty that we praise .. rather an enjoyment of being in God's presence. So why the rush?
  • Father,

A priest once told us that the monks are always "in Spirit", i.e. always in God and God in them. Thus it becomes very easy for them to reach in the depth and stillness of prayer VERY quickly. As they are extremely focused on God, they see everything clearly; their mind enters the heart and speed no longer matters.

PFM
  • I am not sure that I buy that.

To enter into the presence of God surely leads us to pray more slowly and more carefully, not more quickly. We can read of the Fathers who become so transported in prayer that they lose sense of time even while praying just the Lord's prayer, but we don't read about them rushing through any service.

I can't imagine praying the Lord's prayer, for example, with more attention and care by praying it more quickly. Rather by praying it more slowly.
  • Let us not be quick to judge the speed others pray with. From the Ladder of Divine Ascent (Step 28), St John Climacus says: "We are not all the same, either in body or soul. Some profit from singing the psalms quickly, others from doing so slowly, the one fighting distraction, the others coping with ignorance."
  • I am not sure that anyone is being judged, rather it is being honestly asked how completing prayers in 3 minutes achieves the proper end?

If the Psalms were being chanted quickly, but not too quickly, during prayers that lasted 1 hour then what you say is entirely understandable and seems exactly what St John Climacus means. But if Psalms were being chanted such that prayers lasted only 3 minutes then that would not seem to be consistent with what St John Climacus means.

It is true that praying a little quicker can aid attention, but if that attention is only held for 3 minutes then that does not seem to be why we gather to pray?
  • The 3mins they are referring to is only the morning doxology. So perhaps they are chanting this quickly and it could be sung in 6-7 mins or so if sung slowly. However, he morning doxology comes at the end of the Midnight Praises and after the praying of the first hour psalms - all together we are not talking about just a few minutes of prayer  but rather 2+hours or so of prayer (which is then followed by more prayers as well). Also, forgive me, I didn't mean to say anyone judged anyone but rather the speed at which they pray is being judged.
  • Its not my intent to judge anyone, and it is also the case that when a group of people know prayers well they also tend to say them more quickly but with attention.

I think I was especially confused by the post which suggested that monks can immediately enter a spirit of prayer, and also the reference to 3 minutes, as if these were describing the same thing.

Quite clearly I would want to agree that praying passages more quickly (but never too quickly) in the context of the round of prayers is not not the same as rushing at all.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=13205.msg154896#msg154896 date=1335198667]
    I am not sure that anyone is being judged, rather it is being honestly asked how completing prayers in 3 minutes achieves the proper end?

The prayer is 2 hours. The morning doxology is APPROXIMATLY 3 minutes. Although, thats not always the case, cause when anba Youssef's there, they do it VERY slowly.
  • Guys thats not true. Look ive been there several times. its not fast to the point where u cant pray or that you cant even feel anything. Its at a pace where they finish on time so that they can continue with their activities the rest of the day. They arent trying to cheap God out of tasbeha and they arent trying to just get it over with. They do it at a pace so that it doesnt take three hours on a daily basis.

When anba youssef is there, he only stays for the praises. He rarely prays liturgy there, unless he wants to ordain someone, and or on an occasion if he wont be there for some time. So he likes to take his time in the tasbeha and he also prays it pretty fast. Keep in mind that this is all in coptic and anba youssef is probably the only one that understand half of the words to begin with.
  • [quote author=christ_rose link=topic=13205.msg154955#msg154955 date=1335332648]
    Its at a pace where they finish on time so that they can continue with their activities the rest of the day. They arent trying to cheap God out of tasbeha and they arent trying to just get it over with. They do it at a pace so that it doesnt take three hours on a daily basis.

Work still has to get done!  :)
  • Is it all in English Coptic and Arabic or just English and Coptic? Or Arabic and Coptic
  • If anyone has the recordings I'm very interested to listen to them!
  • I have tasbeha. send me you email. ITS BIG File
  • i have a whole folder of recordings from the monastery. i can put them on dropbox for you all to use.
  • I would love to hear their chants.  :)
  • I Have one with HGBY