Re: Unions

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Has anyone heard of or known a successfull Moslem/Christian marriage?

Comments

• [quote author=Purity2 link=topic=13557.msg158011#msg158011 date=1343135390]
    Has anyone heard of or known a successfull Moslem/Christian marriage?

As a Coptic Christian, you are asked to not marry outside of the faith because your other spouse should be a help to you spiritually.
  • If the Holy Spirit binds the two in marriage, I would find it weird to see the Holy Spirit work to bind a Muslim with a Christian.
  • Lets say that you do meet someone to whom you want to have a relationship with and they are not of your faith what would you advise the person who is from our church  to do? 
  • [quote author=Agape47 link=topic=13557.msg158043#msg158043 date=1343186181]
    Lets say that you do meet someone to whom you want to have a relationship with and they are not of your faith what would you advise the person who is from our church  to do? 

If that question was for me, i would say that i wouldn't even think of a relationship since they are of another faith. I believe that no love should exceed the love of GOd.
  • I think people limit the works of the Holy Spirit which are limitless; the works of the Holy Trinity are limitless!!!

God works in mysterious ways and man rarely comprehend them.

My question was as stated.

Please excuse me, but I'm not looking for any ones 'opinion' on what he or she thinks of such unions, I would just like to know if anyone has known of successfull Moslem/Christian marriages.

I have read in our Synixar about Saints who have come from such unions, but I was just wondering about present day or more 'intimate' details like was it a marriage of convenience, did they marry for love etc.
  • [quote author=Purity2 link=topic=13557.msg158061#msg158061 date=1343224498]
    I think people limit the works of the Holy Spirit which are limitless; the works of the Holy Trinity are limitless!!!

God works in mysterious ways and man rarely comprehend them.

My question was as stated.

Please excuse me, but I'm not looking for any ones 'opinion' on what he or she thinks of such unions, I would just like to know if anyone has known of successfull Moslem/Christian marriages.

It depends by what does "successful" mean? What metrics you would be using to measure "success". There are so many variables to consider.

Spiritually, if one is married to a Muslim. Then it is a civil marriage and not a Christian one. According to the Church, they would be living in adultery.

This is not an opinion but it is the Church rules.
  • no.
    but i do know someone (european ethnicity) who suffers every day after marrying a muslim and then converting to Christianity.
    if you want too much suffering, then go ahead, and you will be 'successful' in getting it!
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=13557.msg158065#msg158065 date=1343229823]
    no.
    but i do know someone (european ethnicity) who suffers every day after marrying a muslim and then converting to Christianity.
    if you want too much suffering, then go ahead, and you will be 'successful' in getting it!

mabsoota,

I am not sure what you mean by no

In the Coptic Church, if one is marries to non Orthodox he/she would be excommunicated because the relationship is considered adulterous.
  • 'no' to the original question as to whether i have heard of a successful marriage in these circumstances.
  • Minatasgeel lets say for the sake of argument someone seeks your advice is it fare to say you would discourage them? or would you tell them to speak to their FOC and pray for God's guidance,  because sometimes when emotions are involved' the heart wants what it wants' I am sure you have heard that saying before
  • [quote author=Agape47 link=topic=13557.msg158096#msg158096 date=1343272487]
    Minatasgeel lets say for the sake of argument someone seeks your advice is it fare to say you would discourage them? or would you tell them to speak to their FOC and pray for God's guidance,  because sometimes when emotions are involved' the heart wants what it wants' I am sure you have heard that saying before

I'm sure he would discourage you because Christians are not allowed to marry Moslems.
    Unless the Moslem believes and is baptised, then he/she is no longer Moslem.
    But this is difficult as Moslems can be killed for changing their religion.
  • [quote author=Agape47 link=topic=13557.msg158096#msg158096 date=]
    Minatasgeel lets say for the sake of argument someone seeks your advice is it fare to say you would discourage them? or would you tell them to speak to their FOC and pray for God's guidance,  because sometimes when emotions are involved' the heart wants what it wants' I am sure you have heard that saying before

I would do all three IN THAT ORDER!!! i would discourage them, then to speak to his FOC for his sake and spiriualty because it is definitely shaken and pray to God's guidance.

the heart must WANT GOD and nothing else because God HIMSELF wants our hearts and nothing else. anything, and i mean ANYTHING (even the love of father and mother) that takes a christian away from that is of the devil.
  • Well lets say  that the person is willing to convert because they know that this is the person God wants them to be with.  How do we help them because as was said they risk being killed, and by the way my heart always seeks GOD FIRST IN ALL THAT I DO!
  • You cannot convert because you want to be with someone. You can only convert because you believe that Christianity is true, and that God should be the sole object of our desire.

An Orthodox Christian should never enter into a relationship with a Muslim, or a non-Orthodox even, as this will always cause many problems.
  • You can not have a successful Matrimony between a Moslem and Christian for the following reasons:

1)  Marriage is a sacrament where the Man is the Icon of Christ and the woman the Icon of the Church.
        This union is impossible if one or the other is not a Christian.  The focus of any Christian Marriage is
        Christ.  The Man is to treat the woman as Christ loved and treats His Bride, the Church, and he is to
        love her as Christ loved the Church and died for her. and the woman is to honour and obey her
        husband as the Church honours and obey Christ.  This is the KEY to a successful Christian Marriage. 
        If one person truly is in Christ and He is the focus of that person, it is then impossible to have a
        happy, successful 'marriage' with a person who does not have Christ as the focus.

2)  St. Paul tells us to be unequally yoked with unbelievers.

3)  The wedding ceremony has the priest blessing the marraige by asking God to bless the union of this 
        Son of Orthodoxy  to this daughter of Orthodoxy.  This blessing is impossible if the one or the other is
        not a son or daughter of Orthodoxy.

4)  Psychologically, how can one spouse purposely unite to another when the unbeliever is thought by 
        the believer to be still condemned becasue Christ said that those who do not believe are condemned
        already, but those who believe have passed from death to life.  If the children of such a hypothetical 
        union grow and are taught biblical truths, how much will they live grieving over the moslem parent
        who is "condemned already" because of lack of faith in Christ. 

Marriage, in the true sense of the word is a spiritual, sacramental unity in Christ.  A "civil" non-religious contract is not what we mean when we say "marriage".

As such, it is impossible to be a happy successful Marriage for a Christian, when the other spouse is not a Christian.  It is by definition, an impossibility. 

This, however, is a different matter than a couple who did not believe in Christ and one spouse converts and becomes Christian, as St. Paul taught.
  • Thanks for your replys

God bless u all