iconostasis

Hi every one, we are building the iconostasis in the new church for the youth hear in Canada, and while we were building it I over heard that it is ta2s to not use any glue or nails on the iconostasis. Why is this? Why did our Coptic ancestors decide to make it more difficult to build the iconostasis? What does it symbolize?

i would put a pic but i dont know how  :-\

Comments

• How can there be a church for youth? There is only one church.
  • It’s not for just the youth. Our old church even though its huge it’s really crowded because of the Egyptian immigrants who come every week. So they made a (big) chapel to have another liturgy in. the building was a failed project we wanted to have a Coptic private school (which were orders from Pope Shenouda may God rest his soul) because there are many Muslim schools around the area. But the government wouldn’t give us the permit. So they made part of the building a chapel which will probably hold a more English liturgy so I’m guessing their will be more  English speaking youth then adult Egyptian immigrants

But back to my question why can’t we use nails or glue on the Iconostasis?
  • [quote author=markmarcos link=topic=13473.msg157363#msg157363 date=1341485393]
    It’s not for just the youth. Our old church even though its huge it’s really crowded because of the Egyptian immigrants who come every week. So they made a (big) chapel to have another liturgy in. the building was a failed project we wanted to have a Coptic private school (which were orders from Pope Shenouda may God rest his soul) because there are many Muslim schools around the area. But the government wouldn’t give us the permit. So they made part of the building a chapel which will probably hold a more English liturgy so I’m guessing their will be more  English speaking youth then adult Egyptian immigrants

But back to my question why can’t we use nails or glue on the Iconostasis?

I was sitting right beside the pope when he gave the orders to create that school in Montreal. That was such a beautiful weekend with the Pope in my city :).
  • [quote author=markmarcos link=topic=13473.msg157357#msg157357 date=1341460260]
    Hi every one, we are building the iconostasis in the new church for the youth hear in Canada, and while we were building it I over heard that it is ta2s to not use any glue or nails on the iconostasis. Why is this? Why did our Coptic ancestors decide to make it more difficult to build the iconostasis? What does it symbolize?

no nails or glue?! you serious?
    I like to see a written source that says this.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13473.msg157526#msg157526 date=1341952428]
    [quote author=markmarcos link=topic=13473.msg157357#msg157357 date=1341460260]

no nails or glue?! you serious?
    I like to see a written source that says this.

Not a written source, but my priest told me that our church's iconostasis has no glue or nails. It is like a puzzle.
  • It can be. but that does't have to be a rite (tuqs) of any kinds.
  • I think it is a tradition more than a taqs...
  • a tradition in what church exactly?! one out of a all coptic ones out there?!
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13473.msg157536#msg157536 date=1341978322]
    a tradition in what church exactly?! one out of a all coptic ones out there?!

It is obviously more than one. I have seen it a few times and markmarcos saw it too.
  • it is in most churches. and yes it is like a puzzle, no glue or nail. just small supports in-between the pieces to hold them together.
  • well yes. that whole "wall" can never be made of one piece but different many put together. but to go as far as saying they are done without nails/screws and glue and that is part of a "tuqs" is too far fetched. what about the pieces that are put together....don't you think that they are glued together?! wood is not created in 4-foot-pieces you now?!

think very carefully about what you guys are saying.
  • I agree with Mina actually.. I don't think it's considered part of the rites.. there were many churches in Egypt, including the one I used to go to in the 80's and 90's where the priest started asking people for donations to upgrade how the altar looked like from outside to be like other churches.. it isn't a rite
    OUjai
  • I do have to admit that there are some basic structure that the church building and what is in it is build........but something as specific and unreasonable as this, i just havn't heard about or even understand.
  • Aright mina but I was part of the project of making the iconostasis in the church and there are no nails or screws that are used. I know what I saw. I built parts of it my self.

And mina the pieces put together is not glued, or nailed. It has little pieces of wood that you put in between the iconostasis pieces.

this was my question once again is it a rite or not because while building the iconostasis they told us that it was taqs but I got my answer from another source since I got conflicting answers here. They are all different pieces put together to represent all the different people who are part of the body of Christ.

Thanks anyway everyone for trying to answer my question.
  • post a photo of it.
  • i dont know how to insert the image
  • [quote author=markmarcos link=topic=13473.msg157565#msg157565 date=1342027834]
    i dont know how to insert the image

There is an option of "Attachments and other option" below when you post. You should be able to attach a photo
  • Each of these are individual pieces put together like a puzzle. there are ridges on the side that are used to put small wooden supports in to hold it together.
  • [quote author=markmarcos link=topic=13473.msg157571#msg157571 date=1342043733]
    Each of these are individual pieces put together like a puzzle. there are ridges on the side that are used to put small wooden supports in to hold it together.

lol. this is how many iconostasis are done that way simply because it's easier in making.. can I get a bigger general picture of the iconistasis.
  • Maybe I'm missing something here. That picture shows pieces that fit like a puzzle and that would work if it is a facade. But it surely cannot support weight. Iconastases are heavy and bulky. They must have structural support from a framework to support all that weight. Any substructural framework must be attached with nails and screws (or tied with rope like bamboo houses). How is it possible to have a complete iconastsis without nails or glue?