Burning Christian items

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
When I was younger, my mother always taught me to burn items if they are Christian  instead of throwing it away.Now ,I have HUGE stacks of Christian writings.I wanted to throw it away.So my question is,is it actually required from the Orthodox faith to burn Christian items ,or it is just something cultural I was raised with.

Thanks in advancement for any response.

Comments

• why would you want to throw it away? I'm sure someone gave them to you for a reason. They must be useful. READ THEM!
  • If there in decent condition give them to your church priest, I am sure they will find a home for them.
    plus its harram!
  • [quote author=Athanasius1 link=topic=13319.msg155726#msg155726 date=1337318746]
    If there in decent condition give them to your church priest, I am sure they will find a home for them.
    plus its harram!

That word "harram"...

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • [quote author=ReturnOrthodoxy link=topic=13319.msg155733#msg155733 date=1337356262]
    [quote author=Athanasius1 link=topic=13319.msg155726#msg155726 date=1337318746]
    If there in decent condition give them to your church priest, I am sure they will find a home for them.
    plus its harram!

That word "harram"...

ReturnOrthodoxy

That says Allah. But i think i get what you're saying lol.
  • Lol, I don't.
  • [quote author=Athanasius1 link=topic=13319.msg155757#msg155757 date=1337382032]
    Lol, I don't.

I think he is mixing up harram with halal. Idk, either way it doesn't apply here. What i am wondering is why you want to burn Christian writings. The answer to this is so obvious i am starting to think you just posted it to see how everyone will react, but idk you, so i will give you a chance.

You shouldn't burn them, there is no reason, if you don't want them then donate them to the church. It's not only for your benefit but for others.
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=13319.msg155761#msg155761 date=1337384698]
    [quote author=Athanasius1 link=topic=13319.msg155757#msg155757 date=1337382032]
    Lol, I don't.

I think he is mixing up harram with halal. Idk, either way it doesn't apply here. What i am wondering is why you want to burn Christian writings. The answer to this is so obvious i am starting to think you just posted it to see how everyone will react, but idk you, so i will give you a chance.

You shouldn't burn them, there is no reason, if you don't want them then donate them to the church. It's not only for your benefit but for others.

LOL. Harram is the opposite of Halal. Both are islamic terms lol. But the question is a good one, and I am interested in the answer.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • Haha, confusion.
    & I'm pretty sure you shouldn't burn them but ask a priest anyways
  • I've been advised by my priest to recycle the papers such as church newsletters with printed icons and crosses in them. That's what I've done. I'm not sure why you'd burn them, that's not a good idea to me! Those are my two cents worth.
  • Holy items should never be placed with trash. Respectful methods of disposal are burning or burying. If a Bible or an icon were damaged beyond use, it would need to be burned or buried, not thrown out. If it's just a book on a religious topic, or a church newsletter it is not something holy, it can be recycled (but ideally icons should not be on Church bulletins for this reason. If they are, it is still not a consecrated icon, or an unconsecrated icon made holy through veneration... it's a picture used for decoration and recycling is fine, but is it appropriate to use the image of an icon as such?).

When I used to be able to go to all the weekday Liturgies, quite a few times someone would find a piece of Korban that someone took, and then just left sitting in the chapel from a few weeks ago. It would be mouldy, and very hard. My priest would give it to me and tell me to bury it in my back yard.

Water that has been blessed by use at the Altar, or at the lakane is also never put down the drain that goes into the sewer. It is either put down a drain that simply runs straight down into the ground, or it is poured on the ground. The drain in the baptistry must not be connected to the sewer, it should just be a pipe going into the ground.
  • Thank you for all the post.They were helpful.