Who is eligible to become a Pope??

Hello:

I am not sure if what I heard the other day is right or wrong ( on TV) , but what are the reasons that a non-Egyptian national is not eligible to become a Pope?? St Mark,the first pope was a Jew. Eventhough the geopolitics of today might be different, the Coptic Pope is the shephard  of copts all over the world. Thus, what hinders , for example, a Sudanese Copt from becoming a Pope? 

Comments

• Unfortunately, the By-Laws and the promulgation of 1957 was written in this manner.  The Parliamentary and country situation is such that it is not a good idea to try to amend or re-write a new series By-Laws for the Election and Choosing of a New Pope.
  • [quote author=Ηεζεκιελ link=topic=13313.msg155630#msg155630 date=1337205118]
    Hello:

I am not sure if what I heard the other day is right or wrong ( on TV) , but what are the reasons that a non-Egyptian national is not eligible to become a Pope?? St Mark,the first pope was a Jew. Eventhough the geopolitics of today might be different, the Coptic Pope is the shephard  of copts all over the world. Thus, what hinders , for example, a Sudanese Copt from becoming a Pope? 

My amateur response: I wouldn't think that a non-Egyptian pope would be culturally fit to lead the people. He should be oriented with the society first. He should also have the same dialect as the people. A Sudanese pope would seem partially foreign to the people. I think lol.
  • I actually have not heard that the Pope needs to be Egyptian. I am also not sure where it says that in the 1957 laws. It only makes sense that he is since his bishopric, as the Patriarch of the city of Alexandria first, is Egyptian. Even if there is a law for this, using Saint Mark's as an example wouldn't be a successful attempt since he is THE FIRST patriarch. before him there was no other. he was also the one who brought us the news of Christ and established the Church.
  • There have been other non-Egyptian Archbishops of Alexandria.
  • This has nothing to do with reason and history.  This has to do with the fact that a core of lay people, in order to elaborate on a power grab that started in the early 20th century, rushed a foolish set of By-Laws through the system.  Unfortunately, the By-Laws state specifically and clearly:  Egyptian National, Christian, Coptic, Orthodox.