can someone lives a happy successful life while being religious?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
can someone be socially accepted or successful in his life and carrer while he loves God and is religious. Being successful or famous, in work or science, i don't mean being an artist, will that be counted as love to the world? What I mean is that I look forward to be famous one day in scientific researches and create and run my own business to be rich, have enough to have what I need however i will not let that hamper my spiritual life. Is that possible? Would God allow his sons to be known in this materialistic world. Being a devout Christian, can I live,along with a spiritual life, a happy materialistic life too with no hard temptation like going broke or have a kid with permanent disabilities, like a perfect life or that contradicts a Christian life. I think i can keep myself humble too, follow what Lord Jesus has commanded.

Comments

• seek first the kingdom of God, then all these things (food, clothes) will be given to you as well.
    if u really know the danger of fame or money, u will run from it.
    a person who has a high spiritual level will not assume he is strong enough to resist so much temptation and will focus on his spiritual life.
    if we run away from trouble, poverty and disability, then we are running away from the things that God can use to teach us humility.

there is a lot to say on this. but i will leave it to others.
  • Yes like mabsoota who is my mabsoota
    says seek first His kingdom and God will give you the desires of your heart

Seek and you shall find knock and the door will be opened to you

However I do not know the full judgements of God and there is injustice in the world which can sometimes give us a hard time
  • Pope shenouda says in his book the 10 commandments it is a stumbling block for a child of God not to be successful  or atleast an offense for people make him an example I would not go thag far but it is something to ponder

and Daniel and Joseph are examples
    Jacob did not used to teach people but spent all his time working

And Solomon says in all labor there is profit but idle chatter leads only to poverty
    And the hand of the diligent shall rule and they shall not stand before unknown men
  • Pope shenouda says in his book the 10 commandments it is a stumbling block for a child of God not to be successful  or atleast an offense for people make him an example I would not go thag far but it is something to ponder

and Daniel and Joseph are examples
    Jacob did not used to teach people but spent all his time working

And Solomon says in all labor there is profit but idle chatter leads only to poverty
    And the hand of the diligent shall rule and they shall not stand before unknown men

The Fathers say if you have no time to pray long pray Lord have mercy and God will accept it and Jesus gave us the Lords prayer as an exampl

Solomon says do not be overly righteous lest you destroy yourself

My mum and dad are concerned dwelling on religious subjects too much will destroy they are right but I feel I have control over myself now like many other posters do we must be mature

Perhaps I am a bad example for people and am stopping people from studying
    Because I even actually count the number of good posts I make
    and think God needs me

You are either a priest or not a priest God has control over the world

I am a bit confused myself I know it is lawful and I can still make it to heaven but could I do more if I was very religious

• Yes, it is possible.
  • If riches cause us to commit sexual immorality or make us sneer at our enemies
    And cause us to be greedy not sharing when we can and not letting others borrow when we can and not spend time with people when they really need us like when someone is sick it is bad if we deny Gods role in making us successful it is bad

But what is being truly religious? To show off our faith and specialness to all people or quietly seeking God and having a relatonship with Him?
    Quitting our sins
    The bible says let not many become teachers but it is required that we ordain sone teachers and we need them for the service of the Lord
  • The definition of being successful differs from person to person. If success means making a lot of money and having a nice looking wife and a bunch of possesions. yea i guess you can have that. But true success or as id prefer, joy and happiness, in whatever God brings, which is always good, then you cannot have that without a true relationship with The Lord. Now His Holiness as stated above said we as children of God will never fail because it is impossible to fail for a child of God Himself. Our success is originating in our love with God which then overflows into everything else we do. From loving God, we become faithful, trustworthy, intelligent, understanding, strict and yet wise and loose. These are all keys in the human personality that lead to a successful life.
  • We don't need to be successful but to try to be and this will continue in the world to come and we must be obedient
    until the Lord calls us all to His table to enjoy His company and each other to rest from time to time

• I think it is possible also. Everthing is possible with God. Christ is well known in the world.
  • I think we are asking the wrong question here. We are so limited in our thinking. God doesn't need you to be 'religious'. It is not of much use if you follow a set of rules without understanding the basics/ true aim.

Ever came across the youtube video: why I love Jesus but hate religion?

Obviously I don't hate church, just that the video highlights quite a few valid points. But nothing is perfect.

So, may be the question is: Can I lead a happy successful life as a believer in God? As a person who loves God and does not want to upset Him by doing wrong?

To be honest, I cannot really discuss the 'happy' part because I have not figured it out yet. Though I have faith that it is possible, we just over-complicate the process so that's why we don't know yet.

Successful? what is the definition of the successful you are referring to? It is subjective so the answer depends on your definition. One thing I'd like to mention though is that just as God supports us and gives us what we need (and sometimes what we want too even though we don't necessarily need it  :) because he loves us) we have to work hard to achieve our aims. God does the rest in the end. But one cannot say "it is God's will, then I will just sit and wait and see what happens".

God wants your heart, not your rituals