The Litanies

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Wow, I just saw this article, and thought I would share this page:
http://www.coptichymns.net/module-library-viewpub-tid-1-pid-315-page-9.html

The stuff on the 7 orders of the church of God and the "Let those who read..." made me realize how easy it is to go by just saying the responses and having no idea what they mean.

What do guys think of these litanies that are not really applicable in the modern Coptic church?

Also, does anyone know about the "Pray for these holy and precious gifts" response?

Comments

• I don't understand your point.

They have relevance even till now.
  • I think the only litany that probably doesn't apply to us, in the US, now as much as it did in previous years (maybe even until 30 years ago) would be the Litany for the plants and weather.  It still does apply but  the church put that in the liturgy because most of the population were poor farmers whose lives depended on the outcome of the farms (correct me if I'm wrong).  But other than that tiny point, all the litanies relate very well us.
  • CU20,

Go to the MidWest.  It has great relevance.  It's just a different cycle in the year.
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=13190.msg154760#msg154760 date=1334788010]
    I think the only litany that probably doesn't apply to us, in the US, now as much as it did in previous years (maybe even until 30 years ago) would be the Litany for the plants and weather.  It still does apply but  the church put that in the liturgy because most of the population were poor farmers whose lives depended on the outcome of the farms (correct me if I'm wrong).  But other than that tiny point, all the litanies relate very well us.

the 3 different litanies follow the appropriate times of planting, watering, harvesting...etc all of these important tasks in agriculture. For example, Amshir is know to be the month where there is much rain.....so farmers need to consider that.
    This simply doesn't apply to places outside egypt with follow different seasons of planting. So the Church mixed all of the 3 litanies into one to be said. So we still pray for whatever is included in them.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=13190.msg154741#msg154741 date=1334747339]
    I don't understand your point.

They have relevance even till now.

I'm talking specifically, for example, when we say "Let those who read, recite the names" and are supposed to be reading the whole list of patriarchs from St. Mark.  We could just say something to commemorate or pray for all the patriarchs who have fallen asleep since St. Mark, as opposed to saying that we are reading and reciting a list which we are clearly not doing.
  • The hymns evshes is supposed to follow that response where it includes all the Patriarchs who departed since saint Mark
  • At our church we have a list of the patriarchs and they are supposed to be read inaudibly by the deacon in the altar so in a small way this tradition is still practiced
  • Should our laziness and lack of knowledge determine what rite is relevant and what is not?
  • I don't have an answer, other than:  You cannot tuck a five hour liturgy in 2.5 hours.
    The Liturgy at our church used to be 5 hours.  I loved every minute of it.  I would stay in church, working and cleaning that day until 7 PM and then go home.

People are getting lazier:  at church, at work, at school.

Welcome to America and the new World order.

• WEll if laziness is the order of the day, should we practise it in church too? Woe to me being lazy for GOd's commandments, may He not act with me in kind
    OUJAi
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=13190.msg154760#msg154760 date=1334788010]
    I think the only litany that probably doesn't apply to us, in the US, now as much as it did in previous years (maybe even until 30 years ago) would be the Litany for the plants and weather.  It still does apply but  the church put that in the liturgy because most of the population were poor farmers whose lives depended on the outcome of the farms (correct me if I'm wrong).  But other than that tiny point, all the litanies relate very well us.

I disagree! Can you imagine life without mango or watermelon or pineapple?! NEVER!!
  • It is already being practiced.  What do you mean is it goint to be...?

It has become the 11th Commandment.  Thou shalt be lazy and be heirs of procrastination.
  • Sad it is ilovesaintmark... May the Lord have mercy on me a sinner...
    Oujai qen `P[C