popes

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
my Priest asked the question in one of his sermons "how many popes are their" i tried counting them all out like "the pope of the greek russian armenian syrian catholic etheiopian... but then he answerd the question saying "we have only 2 popes and that was pope shenouda and the vatican " i dont understand why he said this why the vatican? is the vatican in chage of our church also? if somone can help me understand why he said this

Comments

• [quote author=markmarcos link=topic=13054.msg153352#msg153352 date=1332242829]
    my Priest asked the question in one of his sermons "how many popes are their" i tried counting them all out like "the pope of the greek russian armenian syrian catholic etheiopian... but then he answerd the question saying "we have only 2 popes and that was pope shenouda and the vatican " i dont understand why he said this why the vatican? is the vatican in chage of our church also? if somone can help me understand why he said this

He means that that only 2 patriarchs which are referred to as Pope are that of Alexandria and Rome.
    We have only two popes = only 2 "popes" exist in Christianity
    Of course the Vatican is not in charge of our Church. The patriarchs of Syria, Alexandria, India (do they ahve a patriarch?), Ethiopia, Eritrea, Armenia are in charge of out church.
    But only the Coptic one is referred to as pope by convention.
  • The vatican is the pope of the RC, and our churches are not even in communion whatsoever.

However, all these other churches were under H.H. Pope Shenouda. Likewise, all the listed churches will be under our next pope.
  • SORRY!! Not the syrian orthodox church, they have their own pope.
  • None of these Churches are under the authority of the Pope of Alexandria.
  • Just to throw in a wrench into the works, there is a third person who uses the title of "Pope".  The Byzantine Patriarch of Alexandria, also claims that title to shepherd the 1000 or so people under his jurisdiction in Egypt.
    BTW, he is not Coptic.
  • yes abouna i know they are not i was just wondering why abouna said the pope benidect
  • His name and title is Pope Benedict. That is why he should be addressed thus. Just as every other Catholic Bishop or even Anglican should be addressed according to their title. It does not mean that we are saying that such a person is a bishop in the Orthodox Church.