Forsaking all to follow Jesus

edited February 2012 in Faith Issues
I do not know yet how to serve God completely but if I did would you forsake all to follow Jesus with me?
Jesus commands you to forsake your parents for your spouse and He likewise asks the same from us. Will you forsake all for His sake?

If you knew you must serve God in some way but it means to spend less time with mum and dad and not go to them because you fear losing them without spending time with them would you do so?

This is a great commandment

If however what you do does not edify and build you up you ought to spend time with mum and dad, but if you are spending your time to make money through which you may serve God or some other way to serve God this should come first and you should not think about mum and dad.

I know one poster has said she is leaving her house and her mum is upset about her lost animal. I think this is good as long as you are doing something important but you must not leave her if she is getting sick or she is really lonely and you are already well established

If you do not forsake them you will just destroy your life in all areas

I was so disturbed not knowing how to prioritise my time yesterday but I think I came up with this solution today in the morning. I hope it was God who pitied me

Comments

• Forsaking all to follow Christ doesn't mean drop your relationship with everyone and that's it, follow Christ...It means that you should prioritize your life in order of most important: God first, Family second, everything else third.

Serving others is serving God. When you help a fellow brother or sister in Christ, you are serving God. Likewise, when you obey your mother and father, you are serving God; Hence why it is a commandment to honor your mother and father.

So in a nutshell it doesn't mean go shut yourself out from the world, it just means to prioritize your life to put God first.

I hope I helped.
  • Also to note, this obviously isn't the case for monks as they have left the world and retreated to monasteries in order to pray to God for the world and get closer to God. So in a sense, they have not forsaken all to follow Christ because they still pray for us and without their prayers in the monasteries for us I think the world would be a much different place.
  • [quote author=Rony link=topic=12920.msg152680#msg152680 date=1330634841]
    without their prayers in the monasteries for us I think the world would be a much different place.

A much better place perhaps?
  • Something I learned:

Joy stands for:

J - Jesus first
    O - Others second
    Y - Yourself last
  • [quote author=jshouk link=topic=12920.msg152682#msg152682 date=1330640968]
    [quote author=Rony link=topic=12920.msg152680#msg152680 date=1330634841]
    without their prayers in the monasteries for us I think the world would be a much different place.

What do you mean by this?
  • [quote author=Rony link=topic=12920.msg152686#msg152686 date=1330655026]
    [quote author=jshouk link=topic=12920.msg152682#msg152682 date=1330640968]

Just a lame sarcastic comment! (A)
  • Im not really getting anywhere on my own so I think I should go back to mum and dad but if I was I would leave them
  • [quote author=user157 link=topic=12920.msg152691#msg152691 date=1330664391]
    Im not really getting anywhere on my own so I think I should go back to mum and dad but if I was I would leave them

I am not trying to be mean or anything, but do you not notice that every time you ask a question about an issue you always come up with an answer yourself. You should always talk to your FOC before posting here and you should try to grow more spiritually before worrying asking about other big issues.
  • [quote author=jshouk link=topic=12920.msg152688#msg152688 date=1330656047]
    [quote author=Rony link=topic=12920.msg152686#msg152686 date=1330655026]
    [quote author=jshouk link=topic=12920.msg152682#msg152682 date=1330640968]

Just a lame sarcastic comment! (A)

I understand. The reason why I asked is because I don't think the world would be a better place if Monks weren't in the monastery praying for us. If anything, I think the world would be more chaotic than it already is. And the reason why they don't pray amongst us in big cities, towns, etc., is because we are distractions between them and their communication with God. Not saying that they don't have the spiritual capacity to put distractions aside; But rather that, if you go to a monastery, you will see what I mean. The whole day is filled with prayer and literally zero distractions. The monks are fervent with passion for Christ.
  • Should I continue finding out how to serve God completely or stop because it is hindering my ability to live my life and be normal and acceptable to people around me
    Because I am reminded that Jesus said narrow is the way which leads to life and few find it
    and the way is difficult He said
    It is affecting my focus and I normally do not really figure it out but by then I have wasted a lot of my time and am absolutely consumed and in despair sometimes
    I can not have a career and do all the spiritual work at the same time
  • You need to telephone your priest NOW and arrange to have a conversation with him, either in person or on the phone.

Everyone keeps telling you to do this, and for some reason you are refusing.

Your problems will not be solved on the tasbeha.org forum, they will begin to be healed by having a regular conversation with a spiritual father.

God bless you
  • I will not make anymore posts until I see my FOC