Program Helper

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
I have spent a lot of time using my programming skills for useless things, like making hacks for games and such. As of Great Lent, I made it a goal for myself to try and think of a way in which i can use my programming skills to make something that will help others and glorify God at the same time. So this is my idea.

It will be called the "tasbeha.org add on" or "tasbeha.org Emergency" or something like that. We can think of names later.

This is the idea of the program:

We all know those times when we post something and it is something urgent that needs answering and you can't just wait a couple hours till somebody decides to come on the site you need an answer now because something is really troubling you. So basically, i can make an app where you can enter your problem, and also what method you want to be responded to with (either by text, or by email, or just coming here on tasbeha.org), and it will send your issue to people's phones via text messages and they will know how to respond.

Now obviously for this to work we will need people to volunteer to receive these messages and reply. This information will be anonymous and will be kept anonymous for safety.

Please post your thoughts here. If you have criticism I am more than glad to receive it, because in order to go through with this plan we all need to be sure this is a good idea and will help. This app isn't intending to deter attention away from tasbeha.org but it will be a supplementary tool.

Again, I am really wanting to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• [quote author=geomike link=topic=12994.msg152749#msg152749 date=1330909395]
    I have spent a lot of time using my programming skills for useless things, like making hacks for games and such. As of Great Lent, I made it a goal for myself to try and think of a way in which i can use my programming skills to make something that will help others and glorify God at the same time. So this is my idea.

It will be called the "tasbeha.org add on" or "tasbeha.org Emergency" or something like that. We can think of names later.

This is the idea of the program:

We all know those times when we post something and it is something urgent that needs answering and you can't just wait a couple hours till somebody decides to come on the site you need an answer now because something is really troubling you. So basically, i can make an app where you can enter your problem, and also what method you want to be responded to with (either by text, or by email, or just coming here on tasbeha.org), and it will send your issue to people's phones via text messages and they will know how to respond.

Now obviously for this to work we will need people to volunteer to receive these messages and reply. This information will be anonymous and will be kept anonymous for safety.

Please post your thoughts here. If you have criticism I am more than glad to receive it, because in order to go through with this plan we all need to be sure this is a good idea and will help. This app isn't intending to deter attention away from tasbeha.org but it will be a supplementary tool.

Again, I am really wanting to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.

That is an awesome idea, but why not take it to the next level and build and android or and OS app for tasbeha.org?
  • What "system" are you using to sent the texts to phones?
  • Cool. I never knew you were a programmer
  • i think it would be better to have chat on tasbeha.org kind of like facebook to people who are online. and an app to connect to the site easier.
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12994.msg152755#msg152755 date=1330916476]

That is an awesome idea, but why not take it to the next level and build and android or and OS app for tasbeha.org?

That's because i program for windows, and I didn't try to program for those devices, yet.

@minatasgeel, i am using smtp servers.
  • [quote author=markmarcos link=topic=12994.msg152760#msg152760 date=1330919204]
    i think it would be better to have chat on tasbeha.org kind of like facebook to people who are online. and an app to connect to the site easier.

Well, if people were online all the time then yes, this would be a great idea, but the point of this app is to get their attention by alerting them via their phones, or maybe email, something that is close and commonly used.
  • i aggree, but imagine how much questions and alerts you will get every day it will be to much unless the amount of alerts and questions can be limited by the user of the app.
  • This is a good idea, but sounds like A LOT of spam for the end user. Can you imagine all those ad-bots floating around here sending you text messages too? lol
  • Well, spam isn't an issue, i can deal with that. The amount of uses will be limited. There will be security precautions, don't worry.

So what's the final decision. Should we go through with it?
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=12994.msg152766#msg152766 date=1330923400]
    Well, spam isn't an issue, i can deal with that. The amount of uses will be limited. There will be security precautions, don't worry.

You need to consider who will be receiving such emergency requests.  It might be more appropriate if it was just priests. (Although I doubt whether Fr Peter would be willing to have the site attached to his phone). Everyone on here except Fr Peter are essentially "randoms"!

Also there is already the capability to email someone through the site. Is a phone really necessary? (im not *explicitly* stating a view)

Also wouldn't an app make this site more prone to "addiction" (lol) - something we dont want to encoourage

You can tell I'm very conservative!
  • [quote author=qawe link=topic=12994.msg152772#msg152772 date=1330950219]
    [quote author=geomike link=topic=12994.msg152766#msg152766 date=1330923400]
    Well, spam isn't an issue, i can deal with that. The amount of uses will be limited. There will be security precautions, don't worry.

You need to consider who will be receiving such emergency requests.  It might be more appropriate if it was just priests. (Although I doubt whether Fr Peter would be willing to have the site attached to his phone). Everyone on here except Fr Peter are essentially "randoms"!

Also there is already the capability to email someone through the site. Is a phone really necessary? (im not *explicitly* stating a view)

Also wouldn't an app make this site more prone to "addiction" (lol) - something we dont want to encoourage

You can tell I'm very conservative!

Well, whoever wants to join can join. And it doesn't have to be your phone, it could be ur email, but this would be pointless as you might as well get on tasbeha.org.

And getting "addicted" to this site isn't a bad thing. This isn't facebook. This site benefits you, and is a great tool especially in Lent, so i don't know why you keep obsessing about getting "addicted" to this site.
  • lol im addicted to this site and i find that its a good addiction because it benifits you spirtualy we dont encourage a bad addiction that will harm you but 1 that helps you is the best! . i think that this is a great idea and go for it !!!
  • [quote author=markmarcos link=topic=12994.msg152791#msg152791 date=1330986728]
    lol im addicted to this site and i find that its a good addiction because it benifits you spirtualy we dont encourage a bad addiction that will harm you but 1 that helps you and can help you is the best! . i think that this is a great idea and go for it !!!

Great! i have 1 vote so far, hehe. Oh and btw i finished the program layout and design and i have now entered the coding stage. so God willingly it should be done by the end of this week or so.

• it may not produce the issue for you for for the receiver. what 'method' are you using?
    Quote from minatasgeel.

Mina, I can't say what method exactly i am using because that's a security risk, but all i can say that i am using a smtp server and it has no issues sending messages because i have already tried this on many people with all sorts of different mobile carriers. It works. The messages aren't blocked.
  • Wow! Incredible! You certainly have my vote too.
  • This new idea will become a problem for those who can not always respond and you will stop people from seeing their priest perhaps
  • Why are guys being so negative? He is trying to help. It is not his fault that people may abuse it in one way or another. I think it is a great idea as long as you get a trusted person on the other end of the line.
  • Thanks for your support guys.

And in response to User:

Yes, user, that is a good point. I seem to have forgotten to say that this program is meant to be treated exactly like tasbeha.org is treated. It is a "2nd opinion". The same things that apply to this site apply to the app.

Also i have the power to take the app offline at any time, so every issue that is being sent is sent to me and i will be monitoring it, and if there is abuse then it will be taken offline and we will decide here what we should do, but God willing it will be a helpful app.
  • were all for it and we are all mostly coptic and weare taght to behave right and respect every thing and any one so it is a small chance that somone will mis use it
  • [quote author=markmarcos link=topic=12994.msg152806#msg152806 date=1331006901]
    were all for it and we are all mostly coptic and weare taght to behave right and respect every thing and any one so it is a small chance that somone will mis use it

This is very true, but one must always plan for the worst, so i have added security features. There are different levels of protection and measures that can be taken. I can shut down the program at any given time, and I can make it delete itself completely from everybody's computer if it gets bad enough, I can also tell it that there is an update and the version you currently have won't work unless you get the new version from tasbeha.org. In addition, all information such as phone numbers and email addresses will be encrypted so just in case anybody is snooping around it will make their job harder.

So as for safety goes, don't worry about it, i got it covered, the app will be very safe to use and the people receiving the messages have their info safe.

As for this project, i am going ahead and making it as we speak so God willingly it will be done very soon. Keep me in your prayers, and please pray for this project so that it will glorify God and help others. This app isn't much without your guys' help and support so for that I thank you very much and the release of this app is in the near future God willingly.
  • I agree, we are all in it for it and that no one will misuse this program.
  • What if everyone thinks their thread is urgent and should be answered at this very second? There should be rules as to what is considered as an emergency, otherwise I'd be receiving 5987 texts a day about someone losing their girlfriend or whether GB should be used in church.

And what happened to my Shoutbox idea? I think it would a great project for you during lent! :)
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=12994.msg152872#msg152872 date=1331156707]
    What if everyone thinks their thread is urgent and should be answered at this very second? There should be rules as to what is considered as an emergency, otherwise I'd be receiving 5987 texts a day about someone losing their girlfriend or whether GB should be used in church.

And what happened to my Shoutbox idea? I think it would a great project for you during lent! :)

That's a valid point, that is why there will be a limit on how many messages can be sent to you a day. And that number will vary by each person's preference.

Lol, you and your shoutbox Titl. I am afraid i can't make a shoutbox here, the admins will need to add that to the site. Idk why they haven't done it yet, or atleast voiced their opinion, because they don't have to build anything all they have to do is enable the shoutbox app because most providers already have one built.