Alittle more clarity on Great Lent

Please feel free to help me understand more about how Coptic Christians fast the Great Fast. I would like to go about it the right way. So far I have been fasting in unison to the best of my knowledge thru gathering bits of information here and there while driving all across the states. (trucking) I've been getting enlightened with great spiritual understanding from different Coptic Churches on the web they really dont emphasize on the basic outline for a person like me who never had the opportunity to set foot in a Coptic Church as of yet. And this is the first time the Great Lent is undeniably clear to me and I can't jus let it pass me by.
Whats clear to me is it's a vegan fast, I'm unclear on the strict abstinence part, im pretty sure it means not eating or drinking? an is it broken from day to day on weekdays with only one meal at Vespers? I also have a friend who's Eastern Orthodox (he helped me see the beauty of Orthodoxy) he's doing something else or maybe Im missing something? Thanks in advance - Jamie

Comments

• Hey Jamie! Nice to meet you!

Ok, so, well you got a lot of it right, but not entirely! Actually, regarding fasting it is a vegan fast, also without dairy products, not only meat. Therefore, this would include many things like eggs, cheese, etc. Secondly, as you might know, our fast is 55 days long. This is broken up as one 'preparation' week, the 40 days which Christ fasted and lastly, the holy week; also commonly known as 'pascha' week as it is the week from palm sunday and ending on good friday as Christ was crucified. Thirdly, regarding the meals eaten and 'abstinence' throughout the fast, this is not entirely correct. For example, one is only required to fast from all meat, dairy products and fish. However, they are not required to completly abstain from food throughout the fast. Such an act may be done with the guidance of a spiritual father. Fourth, along with fasting, one is advised to also increse in prayer. This is so due to the fact that the church fathers have always told us that fasting and prayer are a 'combo'. As a result, fasting in vain is completly worthless, as one should always remeber why theyre fasting, and pray to strenghthen their relationship with Christ. Also, it is encouraged by the church fathers that we should attempt to pray as much as possible, even through simple prayers like the Jesus prayer.

There it is! Sorry if i wasnt clear or missed a lot of stuff, tried to think of everything! But, feel free to ask questions!
  • [quote author=✞ Khen Pikhristoc✞ link=topic=12983.msg152690#msg152690 date=1330662779]
    Hey Jamie! Nice to meet you!

Thirdly, regarding the meals eaten and 'abstinence' throughout the fast, this is not entirely correct. For example, one is only required to fast from all meat, dairy products and fish. However, they are not required to completly abstain from food throughout the fast. Such an act may be done with the guidance of a spiritual father.

Your information on fasting was wonderful! However, the quote above is not entirely accurate. Abstinence from food for a certain period of time is an essential part of fasting. It is a common misconception that fasting is merely adhering to a vegan diet. You are correct in saying that this should be done with the guidance of a spiritual father, however, abstinence is the rule, not the exception. Here is a quote from Pope Shenouda's book on fasting:

"A period of abstinence is essential, since we would simply be vegetarians if we ate without observing it from the beginning of the day. The word fasting means abstinence or cessation. It is therefore necessary to refrain from eating for a certain period of time."
  • [quote author=✞ Khen Pikhristoc✞ link=topic=12983.msg152690#msg152690 date=1330662779]
    Actually, regarding fasting it is a vegan fast, also without dairy products, not only meat. Therefore, this would include many things like eggs, cheese, etc.

That is the definition of vegan!
  • [quote author=qawe link=topic=12983.msg152694#msg152694 date=1330671211]
    [quote author=✞ Khen Pikhristoc✞ link=topic=12983.msg152690#msg152690 date=1330662779]
    Actually, regarding fasting it is a vegan fast, also without dairy products, not only meat. Therefore, this would include many things like eggs, cheese, etc.

That is the definition of vegan!

I think he confused it with vegetarian.
  • thanks everybody!
  • Also, Pope Shenouda III's book on fasting explains everything you would want to know about the fasting and how to actually benefit spiritually from it as best as you can. I believe there are sections in it that talk about what kind of foods and about abstinence, as well as how these practices benefit the body and soul spiritually.

Here's a PDF version of the book:

http://www.orthodoxebooks.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/THE SPIRITUALITY OF FASTING - HH Pope Shenouda III.pdf
  • dustoftheearth,

It's very easy for us to describe fasting and the beauty of Lent through words. I don't think you'll get the full picture by words alone. Why don't you come into a Coptic Orthodox Church and see for yourself? Why don't you speak to a priest who can facilitate a truly enjoyable Orthodox experience for you? Read Pope Shenouda's book. But don't forget the words of King Solomon, "Let my beloved come into his garden and taste its choice fruits". (Song of Songs 4:16). You are God's beloved. Come to His garden, which is His Church, and taste its choice fruits. One of those fruits, which you have realized for yourself, is fasting. Come and taste all of the fruits in the garden. And if you need any help, send anyone here a private message.
  • Thanks for all the help, i will definitely be taking heed to all the advise here, and most definitely be coming to His Garden to taste all the Fruits! Thanks so much!