The Great Lent's Midnight Praise

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
I have some questions about the Great Lent's Midnight Praise.

1) To use or not to use the cymbals?
2) Do we have to say the part's explanation for the Theotokia or the psalies on the hoses?
3) For batos, is the tune of Tenoweh ensok and the Theotokia Lobishes the same?
4) For Sunday do we say Aikoti and Ainahti or Aiwshy anta acme only?
5) Besides the Great Hos, the explanations, the lent psalies (watos and adam) and the psalies on the hoses, is there any other additions for the fast?
6) Is the tune for the Adam theotokias, Neknai O Panoti, and the commemoration of saints annual?

Comments

• [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12947.msg152331#msg152331 date=1329862830]
    during the weekdays, no use of cymbals.

2) Do we have to say the part's explanation for the Theotokia or the psalies on the hoses?

No because they are specifically for Sunday midnight praises. There are separate psalies for other days (one adam and another watos)......but some people like to say them. the books aren't as clear about this.

3) For batos, is the tune of Tenoweh ensok and the Theotokia Lobishes the same?

yes. on watos days only.....on adam days, the lobsh follows the adam tune which in the quick way never changes (the quick way of khen oshot, the 1st hoos lobsh).

4) For Sunday do we say Aikoti and Ainahti or Aiwshy anta acme only?

Ainahti is the specific sunday psali. in general you replace that with the occasion's psali. so you should say Ay-osh. Aikoti is optional.

5) Besides the Great Hos, the explanations, the lent psalies (watos and adam) and the psalies on the hoses, is there any other additions for the fast?

the doxologies......no tennav....

6) Is the tune for the Adam theotokias, Neknai O Panoti, and the commemoration of saints annual?

Neknai o panouti, the tune never changes. for the commemoration, it changes. Tenowweh ensok, the commemoration and the doxologies follow the same tune. In lent, there are 2 watos tunes, one for weekends and another for weekdays. those are the tunes you say the doxologies in on vespers/matins on saturday or matins on weekdays (since there is no vespers on the weekdays). that is also the tune that you use for Tenowweh ensok, commemoration and the doxologies.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12947.msg152334#msg152334 date=1329868398]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12947.msg152331#msg152331 date=1329862830]

May I ask why?

Neknai o panouti, the tune never changes. for the commemoration, it changes. Tenowweh ensok, the commemoration and the doxologies follow the same tune. In lent, there are 2 watos tunes, one for weekends and another for weekdays. those are the tunes you say the doxologies in on vespers/matins on saturday or matins on weekdays (since there is no vespers on the weekdays). that is also the tune that you use for Tenowweh ensok, commemoration and the doxologies.
    Wait, that confused me a bit. The first watos tune is the same as neknai o pachois what is the other one and when do we use it?

Other than that it was all on the mark thank you Mina
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12947.msg152334#msg152334 date=1329868398]
    Neknai o panouti, the tune never changes.

Wait does not it change during Kiahk?
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12947.msg152335#msg152335 date=1329869763]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12947.msg152334#msg152334 date=1329868398]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12947.msg152331#msg152331 date=1329862830]

May I ask why?
    Mainly because the books says so. In Anba Mettaus rites book:
    "Hymns are prayed in the chastening (Tazallol) tune of the fast without the cymbals."
    imikhail says we don't use the deff as an instrument of rythm rather than one for bring joy. That is so. Also, most of the hymns of the weekday tune doesn't require the deff.

Wait, that confused me a bit. The first watos tune is the same as neknai o pachois what is the other one and when do we use it?

Other than that it was all on the mark thank you Mina
    take neknai o panouti out of the picture.
    two watos tunes you sing the doxologies with: weekday and weekend. on weekday tasbeha, you use the weekday one, for weekend, you use the weekend one.

neknai o panouti: there is one GENERAL annual tune for neknai o panouti. the reason i say 'general' because there is another tune that much people don't know about....so let's leave it out for now. in Lent, you use that tune.

[quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12947.msg152336#msg152336 date=1329869941]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12947.msg152334#msg152334 date=1329868398]
    Neknai o panouti, the tune never changes.

Wait does not it change during Kiahk?

technically no. but there is a tune that is handed down by m.Fahim that poeple use for the sunday theotokia and neknai o panouti in kiahk days.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12947.msg152339#msg152339 date=1329871803]
    neknai o panouti: there is one GENERAL annual tune for neknai o panouti. the reason i say 'general' because there is another tune that much people don't know about....so let's leave it out for now. in Lent, you use that tune.

Is not that the one by Cantor Faheem Girgis on Coptichymns.net?
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12947.msg152341#msg152341 date=1329872551]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12947.msg152339#msg152339 date=1329871803]

i don't really know. i can't play anything from coptichymns. if you have a recording elsewhere let me know.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12947.msg152342#msg152342 date=1329872894]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12947.msg152341#msg152341 date=1329872551]

i don't really know. i can't play anything from coptichymns. if you have a recording elsewhere let me know.

Try again... It used to not work for me then it did all of the sudden. If still did not work, try updating your real player.
  • I have the newest version and i still don't get connect to the file.
  • I could not find it anywhere else... oh well
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12947.msg152341#msg152341 date=1329872551]

The tune sounds a bit like the mournful Epouro chanted at the end of the Pascha.
  • What is Anba Mettaous' Rites book called?
  • [quote author=morcousw link=topic=12947.msg152360#msg152360 date=1329928969]
    What is Anba Mettaous' Rites book called?

Dallal al sana al tooteya
  • Is it only in Arabic? Would you mind writing the title in Arabic so I can search for it? lol thanks
  • It is only in Arabic as far as I know... Here is the link: http://www.st-mary-alsourian.com/Library/Books/scanjhhnjjhn010.pdf
  • What's the tune for the Batos and Adam Psalis?
  • [quote author=the_least link=topic=12947.msg152444#msg152444 date=1330130669]
    What's the tune for the Batos and Adam Psalis?

the regular annual psali tunes. Adam is like Aykoti, watos is like afti e-mip-onof.