Orthodox Studies

I am considering starting to develop some online learning resources, perhaps with a view to creating a validated Certificate programme, then a Diploma programme, and even a Degree programme.

But I am not sure if there is any sort of market for serious and formal education in Orthodox Studies, which would require a commitment of time and effort.

A standalone module would consist of about 100 hours of study, and would provide 10 hours of audio lectures. A printed and/or ebook format study guide, a directed reading list, and provision for several short assignments to be written and marked (1,000 words), and one longer assignment (3-4,000 words).

It would be expected that such a module would take 3-4 months of part-time study effort, there would also be an online site with reading and study materials available for download, a forum for discussion with other students, and the opportunity to receive guidance from the tutor by email.

This poll is just a way of gauging if there is any interest at all.

I think the cost would be something like £120 or $200.

The first available module could be determined by interest. It might be Introduction to Orthodox Spirituality, or it might be Introduction to Orthodox Christology, or it might be Introduction to Orthodox Church History.

I'd rather lots of people voted 'Not interested' than that there were no results for me to make any sort of judgement.

God bless

Father Peter

Comments

• Absolutely.

Im here in Boston beside Holy Cross Helenic Seminary, and I wish I could go, but here I am studying Pharmacy. I would love to do some Theological studies.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • This would be amazing.
  • Father,

I am more interested in signing up for the Introduction to Orthodox Spirituality.

PS: I hope you don't fail me because I give you a hard time on the forum. :)
  • 57 page views and only 12 votes?

Are these the same people keep coming back?

If you visit this page then please vote whichever way is true for you.

• There is an online study for a diploma in orthodox theology. Here is the website www.mcd.edu.au/online-study.  The college is in our diocese of Melbourne.
  • I know that but I am planning something different.
  • I will sign up the first day you make it available. Having completed studies at a Coptic Seminary in the U.S. I can tell you that there is a lack of quality, scholarly sources especially in English. Even if you only get a few people to sign up at first, I think it could grow exponentially. Please keep us updated.

• If God wills that I be allowed to create some programmes, which would people choose if they had a choice and were serious about at least wishing to participate?

Introduction to Christology

Introduction to Spirituality

Introduction to Church History

Introduction to <something else>?
  • Dear father,

I have felt a continuing push to have some formal education in some form of Orthodox studies specifically Orthodox theology and Church history and also Christology (thanks in large part to your very good book!) and this course sounds like the best way I could accomplish that in a structured format rather than my own self learning.

God bless you and your mission
  • Introduction to Theosis? Introduction to Mysticism?

• Well I am going to start with one module and see how things go, since I believe that it would be useful in any case.

But if I was allowed to have a slightly wider vision and aspiration, as God wills, then I would like to be able to create 12 modules, which would lead to a Certificate in Oriental Orthodox Studies which I would want to be validated by a UK University. The range of topics would include:

Biblical Studies
    Church History
    Theology
    Spirituality
    Liturgy
    Church Fathers
    Ecumenical Relations

and would be wider than simply the view from the Orthodox Church of Alexandria, but would be a collection of modules that were useful to all Oriental Orthodox students.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=12898.msg151768#msg151768 date=1329080636]
    Well I am going to start with one module and see how things go, since I believe that it would be useful in any case.

But if I was allowed to have a slightly wider vision and aspiration, as God wills, then I would like to be able to create 12 modules, which would lead to a Certificate in Oriental Orthodox Studies which I would want to be validated by a UK University. The range of topics would include:

Biblical Studies
    Church History
    Theology
    Spirituality
    Liturgy
    Church Fathers
    Ecumenical Relations

and would be wider than simply the view from the Orthodox Church of Alexandria, but would be a collection of modules that were useful to all Oriental Orthodox students.

It sounds absolutely brilliant Fr. Peter. I really hope this comes to fruition, the Churches' youth in particular (myself foremost) could really benefit from structured theological study.
  • Not Christiology; I think everyone here owns a copy of your book anyway :)

I vote History and Spirituality.
  • Sounds great.  I live in Melbourne and the cost is inhibitive.

The only thing I can think to add would be Greek and Syriac.
  • I would love Christology or Church History Father
  • Definatly Father sounds like a plan.

I would personally pick a review of the Christology of the Oriental Church, particularly regarding the will/s wills of christ and One/Two natures of christ. Unfortunately I dont have alot of money at the moment, but Keep me posted as to what is happening.
  • I am so busy with school these days but for a while I have planned that as soon as I get my degree, I wanted to do some sort of education like this - like the SUS Theological Seminary, but this curriculum/topics sounds much more compelling. I would love to do this... but in a year and a half. And btw, the price is very good, and would totally be more than worth it.
  • Father,

Would you plan on having exams or would it just be papers to assess the students?
  • There would be some papers, perhaps a couple of short ones per module (1000 words), and one longer one per module (3000 words).
  • I'd be interested
  • I have posted a new podcast here...

http://orthodoxfaith.podbean.com/2012/02/14/the-orthodox-christology-of-st-severus/

This is an indication of the sort of audio content I will be providing for the module on Christology. There will be about 10 hours of this level of audio material included in the module cost.
  • Father,

Can you give us an estimated time frame of when classes will begin?

And is there anyway I can talk you out of assigning essays? ;D
  • If you are pretty much committed to trying one module in this series then please visit the other Poll in this section and indicate which module you would prefer, and PM me with the title of any other module you might really want which I have not listed.

God bless you

Father Peter
  • There were 16 who said they were ready to start. Is this still the case?

I only have 5 students at the moment. I am happy to teach just 5 but I would rather teach a larger class. If there are only 5 students from the 2-4 million Copts outside Egypt then I will be discouraged!
  • I have just now registered, Father. I only got a confirmation from Paypal. Is this the only confirmation about registration? I just want to make sure I enrolled and you have my information.
  • Dear Rony,

God bless you. Yes, this is the payment confirmation. I will be emailing all new students over the weekend, and then as people continue to register.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=12898.msg152143#msg152143 date=1329506965]
    Dear Rony,

God bless you. Yes, this is the payment confirmation. I will be emailing all new students over the weekend, and then as people continue to register.

Father Peter

May God bless you, Father; For helping us in understanding our faith more. Thank you for setting this class up.