Jonah

In Jonah chapter 3 verse 3 and 4, it says: "So Jonah arose and went to Nineveh, according to the word of the Lord. Now Nineveh was an exceedingly great city, a three-day journey in extent. And Jonah began to enter the city on the first day’s walk. Then he cried out and said, 'Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!' "

How is it a three-day journey and he entered the city on the first day's walk?

Comments

• "in extent" - I assume that means the whole city from one side to the other takes three days to pass.
  • I second the above comment
  • why is it stumble you?
  • I agree with Smirser. These small things shouldn't be bothering you.
  • [quote author=Smirser link=topic=12886.msg151560#msg151560 date=1328616899]
    why is it stumble you?

I have never said that it stumbles me.

[quote author=peter_saad link=topic=12886.msg151563#msg151563 date=1328620289]
    I agree with Smirser. These small things shouldn't be bothering you.

Why shouldn't it be bothering me? It does not hurt to ask.
  • There's nothing wrong with your question. I think Abanoub already answered it.
  • The Book of the Prophet Jonah is one of my favourites and I enjoy reading it at this time of year.

There is a great deal for us to learn from the account of his experiences. Since it is only very short I encourage everyone to read it this evening and tomorrow evening in honour of his feast.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=12886.msg151581#msg151581 date=1328649914]
    The Book of the Prophet Jonah is one of my favourites and I enjoy reading it at this time of year.

There is a great deal for us to learn from the account of his experiences. Since it is only very short I encourage everyone to read it this evening and tomorrow evening in honour of his feast.

Why is it one of your favorites?
  • There are so many lessons to learn in just a few chapters. Jonah's experiences are often very much like our own - I don't mean getting swallowed by a great fish, running away from God's will, being afraid, being angry that other people are not punished etc. But also flashes of courage. And the sense that God can use people like Jonah, and me, for his glory.
  • Watch the sermon by Deacon Saweirus on Jonah - it is great meditation! (It is the most recent sermon.)
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=12886.msg151584#msg151584 date=1328650215]
    There are so many lessons to learn in just a few chapters. Jonah's experiences are often very much like our own - I don't mean getting swallowed by a great fish, running away from God's will, being afraid, being angry that other people are not punished etc. But also flashes of courage. And the sense that God can use people like Jonah, and me, for his glory.

Agreed. I think we all can relate to the story.
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12886.msg151551#msg151551 date=1328579319]
    In Jonah chapter 3 verse 3 and 4, it says: "So Jonah arose and went to Nineveh, according to the word of the Lord. Now Nineveh was an exceedingly great city, a three-day journey in extent. And Jonah began to enter the city on the first day’s walk. Then he cried out and said, 'Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!' "

The prophet Jonah is showing Gods Miracle in that God made a 3 day journey become only a days journey.  Even it shows Gods urgency about the matter of the Ninevites.  Refering to His urgency still today for His creation who he has labored and toiled for; given His Only-Begotton Son for: To Repent and leave their wicked ways.
    Lord, save Your people; bless Your inheritance;
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12886.msg151551#msg151551 date=1328579319]

I could be mistaken but it seems that the 3-day journey is in reference to how big the city of Nineveh was across. Today we would say the city of Y is 3 kilometeres across for example. The NRSV says this:

"So Jonah set out and went to Nineveh, according to the word of the Lord. Now Nineveh was an exceedingly large city, a three days’ walk across. Jonah began to go into the city, going a day’s walk."

I think what it is saying is that it took him a days walk to get to Nineveh from wherever he was previously.
  • [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=12886.msg151597#msg151597 date=1328717109]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12886.msg151551#msg151551 date=1328579319]

The prophet Jonah is showing Gods Miracle in that God made a 3 day journey become only a days journey.  Even it shows Gods urgency about the matter of the Ninevites.  Refering to His urgency still today for His creation who he has labored and toiled for; given His Only-Begotton Son for: To Repent and leave their wicked ways.
    Lord, save Your people; bless Your inheritance;

I do not see any thing in the book that suggests that this is the case...

[quote author=Timothym link=topic=12886.msg151598#msg151598 date=1328723902]
    [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12886.msg151551#msg151551 date=1328579319]

I could be mistaken but it seems that the 3-day journey is in reference to how big the city of Nineveh was across. Today we would say the city of Y is 3 kilometeres across for example. The NRSV says this:

"So Jonah set out and went to Nineveh, according to the word of the Lord. Now Nineveh was an exceedingly large city, a three days’ walk across. Jonah began to go into the city, going a day’s walk."

I think what it is saying is that it took him a days walk to get to Nineveh from wherever he was previously.

That is what Abanoub said but thank you though.

[quote author=Andrew link=topic=12886.msg151586#msg151586 date=1328651052]
    Watch the sermon by Deacon Saweirus on Jonah - it is great meditation! (It is the most recent sermon.)

Thank you for the Sermon btw
  • Dear Copticandproud,
    Contrary to you, I was taught what Elsi07x has said. The Bible gives contrasting statements in two consecutive verses to show the urge, and the enthusiasm Johan has acquired on God's repeat message.
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12886.msg151610#msg151610 date=1328738397]
    Dear Copticandproud,
    Contrary to you, I was taught what Elsi07x has said. The Bible gives contrasting statements in two consecutive verses to show the urge, and the enthusiasm Johan has acquired on God's repeat message.
    Oujai qen `P[C

Jonah's enthusiasm? It felt to me like Jonah obeyed the Lord just for the sake of obeying the Lord. The sermon that Andrew provided confirms what I said.
  • I didn't listen to the sermon... that was what I was taught anyway
    Oujai qen `P[C

• Jonah's enthusiasm? It felt to me like Jonah obeyed the Lord just for the sake of obeying the Lord. The sermon that Andrew provided confirms what I said.

I think u r refering to the fact that Jonah at first disobeyed God; and that is why he ended up in the belly of the whale! Anytime we disobey God we end up in trouble, right? Still man (mankind) continue to think he knows better than God! It's too amazing for me: Man's nature! And that "there, but for the Grace of God  go I"! Scarey!

Copticandproud,
                            if u read your Holy Scriptures, daily readings and the synaxir, say your prayers by the agpeya; God will bless u w/better understanding of His Ways. Or peace in your soul to accept what u do not understand, but know Gods Way is Righteous and True always, whether we understand it or not.
    This is the perfect time 4 u (4 us all) to fast and pray 4: Wisdom, Knowledge and understanding.

God bless u!!!
  • [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=12886.msg151624#msg151624 date=1328805393]

Jonah's enthusiasm? It felt to me like Jonah obeyed the Lord just for the sake of obeying the Lord. The sermon that Andrew provided confirms what I said.

I think u r refering to the fact that Jonah at first disobeyed God; and that is why he ended up in the belly of the whale! Anytime we disobey God we end up in trouble, right? Still man (mankind) continue to think he knows better than God! It's too amazing for me: Man's nature! And that "there, but for the Grace of God  go I"! Scarey!

Copticandproud,
                            if u read your Holy Scriptures, daily readings and the synaxir, say your prayers by the agpeya; God will bless u w/better understanding of His Ways. Or peace in your soul to accept what u do not understand, but know Gods Way is Righteous and True always, whether we understand it or not.
    This is the perfect time 4 u (4 us all) to fast and pray 4: Wisdom, Knowledge and understanding.

God bless u!!!

Please listen to the sermon.
  • I've found a recent translation of Theodoret's Commentary on Jonah here..

http://etd.lib.fsu.edu/theses/available/etd-07102006-125349/unrestricted/jh_Dissertation.pdf

(Of course I am not a fan of Theodoret but I shall read this text to see what patristic sources he drew on in his understanding).

There is also a recent English translation of the Commentary of Jerome on Jonah, which would be important and which I am trying to acquire from the author. (Not St Jerome of course, but Dr Timothy Hegedus, who is in Waterloo, Ontario it seems.

I know that St John Chrysostom and St Cyril also wrote on this book. St Cyril's Commentary is available here...

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=OzpS492yf74C&pg=PA147&dq=cyril+alexandria+jonah&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Oj80T8_4BcbA0QXRxamhAg&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=cyril alexandria jonah&f=false

Let me urge us all to become familiar with the interpretations which our fathers gave to this little book in preference to, but not exclusively of course, anything we might consider ourselves.
  • May I recommend Pope Shenouda's short book about Jonah.

In Christ

Aidan
  • Perhaps he entered in the heart of nineveh, the capital on the first day in which there was the king. And then the king commanded everyone to repent

Perhaps he would have stayed longer and travelled further but everyone gave heed straightaway
  • [quote author=Copticandproud link=topic=12886.msg151627#msg151627 date=1328822831]
    [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=12886.msg151624#msg151624 date=1328805393]

Copticandproud,

God bless u!!!

Please listen to the sermon.

Thank u Copticandproud 4 getting me to listen to the sermon! It is very good!
    Our God is Truely Amazing! His Plan so Perfect!
    He knew our sinful nature from the beginning and made preparation even then 4 our salvation today.
    As the sermon states by nature we r stubborn, lazy, self-righteous;only when we seriously work on our repentance do we attain to a higher, holy order of life.
    Yesterday's lectionary is about such; Christ says: "Beware the leaven of the Pharisees." When His disciples do not understand He goes on to say: "Do u not yet perceive nor understand? Is your heart still hardened? Having eyes, do u not c? Having ears do u not hear? And do u not remember?"
    How quickly we forget, become blind and deaf to Gods Ways. Our hearts soon become hard and cold. But our merciful God gives us every chance to repent and return to Him. Through Christ we can get our defiled temples clean again: I pray that in this Great Holy time of Lent we can become new  and clean. Purifying our minds and hearts so we can always hear, see and perceive the Word of God; causing the Devil to flee from us and never find a way back in.
    Jonah didn't realize at that time that he should have been crying out like the 'tax-collector' saying God forgive me I am the worst sinner. Like the Saduccees and Pharisees, Jonah was so close to God, but really did not 'know' Him. Jonah did not realize in his self-righteousness that he was a sinner and in need of repentance, just like the Ninevites.

Concerning the subject of Jonah's 3day journey that only took a day. I was refering to the fact that many times,when God asks His prophets to go somewhere, He will take them up in the Spirit and deliver them to the destination in short time. There are many stories of this holy occurance; since I am Ethiopian Orthodox, I will use the story I am most familiar with in explaination: The Ethiopian Eunuch Act 8:39-40***Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing. But Philip was found at Azotus. And passing through, he preached in all the cities till he came to Caesarea.
    So, I feel that Jonah was also 'caught away by the Spirit of the Lord' and taken to Ninevah in 1day when it should have taken 3days.

GB
  • [quote author=Timothym link=topic=12886.msg151598#msg151598 date=1328723902]

I agree with Tim on this. Following the words that "Nineveh was an exceedingly large city" it goes on to explain exactly how large of a city it is (being a three days journey in extent). The word "extent" aso gives me a meaning that it is not a measure of distance to but rather distance within. This is the most probable explanation in my perspective. So the journey to Nineveh was about 1 day. Deacon Sevirus (in the sermon posted by Andrew) contemplates on how "[Jonah] could have gone down again. He has 40 days. It only takes three days to walk through Nineveh" (10:15).

I think that settles that question. The city was one days journey, which Jonah did in 1 day, but to walk through the city, it would have taken three days.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • [quote author=ReturnOrthodoxy link=topic=12886.msg151648#msg151648 date=1328900833]
    [quote author=Timothym link=topic=12886.msg151598#msg151598 date=1328723902]

I agree with Tim on this. Following the words that "Nineveh was an exceedingly large city" it goes on to explain exactly how large of a city it is (being a three days journey in extent). The word "extent" aso gives me a meaning that it is not a measure of distance to but rather distance within. This is the most probable explanation in my perspective. So the journey to Nineveh was about 1 day. Deacon Sevirus (in the sermon posted by Andrew) contemplates on how "[Jonah] could have gone down again. He has 40 days. It only takes three days to walk through Nineveh" (10:15).

I think that settles that question. The city was one days journey, which Jonah did in 1 day, but to walk through the city, it would have taken three days.

ReturnOrthodoxy

Agreed. Elsi70x7, I think that is what was really meant.
  • Dear Copticandproud and all,
    The link that Fr. Peter provided agrees with the teaching I learnt, which I quoted earlier. St. Cyril commentates on Jonah's journey saying "The prophet is sent, and, endowed with irresistible enthusiasm, he sets about his task; with great vigor he enters the foreign city of Nineveh in discharge of the divine decrees. Though it was a large city and extended to such huge dimensions as to require a journey of three days, if anyone chose to visit it, he crossed it in one day - or, as other commentators think, it was on completing the journey of one day in it that he delivered the divine message".
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • I loved reading the posts about this subject. It just goes to show how alive the Alexandrian School of thought and interpretation are, even today amongst our laity (i.e. the allegorical and symbolic, mystical interpretation of the meaning of 3 days journey etc.)