Marriage?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
In the kingdom of heaven all will live like angels.However, there will be no more family ties correct?If so than marriage has no eternal reward ,yet virginity does(crown).Is virginity the better decision for eternity?

Comments

• [quote author=orthodox4ever link=topic=12803.msg150414#msg150414 date=1326509773]
    In the kingdom of heaven all will live like angels.However, there will be no more family ties correct?If so than marriage has no eternal reward ,yet virginity does(crown).Is virginity the better decision for eternity?

Of course there are family ties do transcend the earthly life and continue in eternity but with a spiritual aspect.

Marital life and celibacy are equal before God's eyes. However, it is easier to live with God being a celibate.
  • Unfortunately suscopt is down right now.However, the response to someones questions concerning eternity was that when man lives with Christ family,and all ties will not matter.I used to think that marriage and family are eternal.Thus,I was confused and got on here to get the right understanding.

Thank You.
  • firstly, let me say this is a great question!
    you are thinking of things from a eternal perspective, which is the way we should do.
    the most important thing is to submit yourself to God through a relationship with Jesus Christ and to follow God's will for your life.
    if you do this and ask God for guidance in all your life decisions (study, job, marriage, country to live in), then God will guide you to find the right marriage partner or monastery.
    u don't need to rush any of these decisions, even if u are already 40!
    just rush to come close to God and follow Him every day, and the rest will become clear.
    may God bless u and guide u and pray for me too.
    :)
  • [quote author=orthodox4ever link=topic=12803.msg150414#msg150414 date=1326509773]

Dear orthodox4ever:

I agree w/mabsoota that this is a great question!

I think most of our Saints were virgins or spent many years of abstinence.
    The Orthodox study Bible translates this about Marriage:

1 Corinthians 7:1-2      Concerning Marriage
    "It is good for a man not to touch a woman.
    Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife and let each woman have her own husband."

Then St. Paul goes on next to address virginity:

1Corinth 7:25-28              Concerning Virginity
    "Now concerning virgins: I have no commandment from the Lord; yet I give judgement as one whom the Lord in His mercy has made trustworthy.
    I suppose therefore that this is good because of the present distress-that it is
    good for a man to remain as he is:
    Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be loosed. Are you loosed from a wife? Do not seek a wife.
    But even if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. Nevertheless such will have trouble in the flesh, but I would spare you.

I think this message is very good in these 'recession' times especially! If you are a virgin or unmarried try and abstain and stay single, but it is better to marry than to fornicate or burn with passion.
    I understand this message to mean that yes it is good to remain virginal w/ or without marriage. We should seek purity and goodness in both.

• [quote author=imikhail link=topic=12803.msg150415#msg150415 date=1326510592]
    [quote author=orthodox4ever link=topic=12803.msg150414#msg150414 date=1326509773]

However, it is easier to live with God being a celibate.

Why? Cause living with a female is tough (if you're male) and living with someone besides yourself is tough (if you're female)?
  • Nothing in this life is 'easy'.
    You will find trials and tribulations in Holy Matrimony, in Monasticism, Celibacy just in life period. The key is to find joy in God an unwavering joy that comes from faith.
  • [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=12803.msg151036#msg151036 date=1327450246]
    Nothing in this life is 'easy'.
    You will find trials and tribulations in Holy Matrimony, in Monasticism, Celibacy just in life period. The key is to find joy in God an unwavering joy that comes from faith.

Well said elsi.
  • "Nothing in this life is 'easy'.
    You will find trials and tribulations in Holy Matrimony, in Monasticism, Celibacy just in life period. The key is to find joy in God an unwavering joy that comes from faith."

Amen.Usually, people say "Show me a perfect marriage couple" then I will have a more positive view of Holy Matrimony.However,just as you said, tribulation and trials are in all situations in life .I was just reading "Marriage and the Orthodox Perspective",and the OSB (page on marriage) and both state it is an eternal nature.Thus, I am still confused if a life of Virginity=Crown,and Holy Matrimony=eternal bond does that not seem like marriage is (in my opinion) more rewarding.Also in heaven we will live all in a spiritual state.The love we will have for everyone will be more than what we can image on earth( I suppose).However, regardless of the the state of  love those who will inherit the kingdom of God will inherit,will husband and wife still be living as husband and wife?
  • Well, orthodox4ever,
                                  I think what our Saint fathers are telling us is that we have a crown and an eternal bond both in virginity and in marriage.
    Most times on this earth the crown and eternal bond of virginity is invisible to most. Only those of high spiritual state will see the virgins crown and see their eternal bond to Christ. Christ the true bridegroom. (for male and female)
    In marriage the bond is visible with the marriage ceremony, exchanging of rings and the bride and groom are given crowns to wear for all to see. In our Orthodox Churchs we have to be baptized before marriage. Baptism is our individual bond to Christ and when we marry two become as one; bound to Christ eternally.
    In this temporal world, we tend to miscomprehend eternity and the depth of importance in the choices we make; like how to undertake a life of celibacy or who to take in marriage.

God bless u. Amen