7 tunes

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Im looking for the 7 tunes by HICS or maybe by the Chorus. can someone help?

Comments

• i can email it to you by hics pm me for it
  • Ok i sent you a pm
  • [quote author=christ_rose link=topic=12744.msg149655#msg149655 date=1325194300]
    i can email it to you by hics pm me for it

Why not post it here so other people can benefit?
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=12744.msg149761#msg149761 date=1325407588]
    [quote author=christ_rose link=topic=12744.msg149655#msg149655 date=1325194300]

I agree
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=12744.msg149761#msg149761 date=1325407588]
    [quote author=christ_rose link=topic=12744.msg149655#msg149655 date=1325194300]

Sorry this is a little late. HICS recordings are copyrighted by COEPA in Australia. We shouldn't be emailing it without permission. If you want a copy of the Seven tunes, either buy the CD's/tapes or ask them for special permission to get a free electronic copy from them. We shouldn't be creating a underground black market. That's just my opinion.
  • Isn't there HICS stuff on this site?
  • [quote author=qawe link=topic=12744.msg150165#msg150165 date=1326147103]
    Isn't there HICS stuff on this site?

we don't respect copyright...it's that simple.
    that's another thing for you to bash on.
  • That's pointless to put a copyright on hymns. First of all it's not even their material, they are just putting already created material on a disc with their voice. This shouldn't be copyrighted at all. I personally believe that they shouldn't have the right to do that.

Second of all, it is learning material. It's not something used to calm yourself or just listen to cuz you're bored (most of the time), it's educational, it's for those who want to learn the hymn.

Btw, there is a recording of the 7 ways on tasbeha.org by Ibrahim Ayad.
  • Putting aside what is or isn't on this site, let's talk about the rational for copyrights.

Copyright laws are clear. For the most part, no one "owns" intellectual property per se. This is different for tangible property, like real estate. If I own a house, I have every right to exclude anyone from using or entering the house. If a person composes his own song, he can't tell another person that he can't sing it as if it were his own words. The same with written documents. If I author and copyright a textbook, I can't tell people they can or can't use it as reference in their own work. The only thing a copyright does is clarify and claim who is the author of the intellectual property, not how others can use it. It is irrelevant on what type of intellectual work it is, whether educational or recreational. It is also irrelevant what others will do with the information unless they intend to profit and undermine the author's rights and status.

Secondly, copyrights are given to both authors and publishers. It all depends on the contract. So even though an author's copyright has expired because 75 years has passed since the original composition, a new publisher can copyright the work and pull it out of public domain. This happened with the Coptic Encyclopedia. It is newly copyrighted by a publisher who had no affiliation with Walter Crum. Why does the US Copyright office allow this? Because the new publisher took the time to mass produce it. It is unfair to allow someone else to profit from their extensive work. 

What would you think if one day someone copied all the audio files on tasbeha.org and created his own site bettertasbeha.org with the same exact recordings, layout and design? It undermined both the composers of all the audio files and the administrators and web designers who have spent years creating and improving this site.

While Ragheb Moftah gave the copyright of the HICS recordings to the Library of Congress and made his niece executor of his will, she gave partial rights to COEPA for mass production. It is neither legal nor ethical to profit (even non-monetarily) without COEPA's permission and undermine their extensive effort.

This is why copyright laws exist. And I personally believe they are necessary.
  • I would love to argue with this right now but i am just too tired from a long day at work.
  • Rest my friend. So when you have more energy you will see that I am always right like TITL ;D
  • Well honestly, I don't really care about copyright laws on hymns because that is just absurd, if i find one on the internet i will download it.
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=12744.msg150177#msg150177 date=1326156017]
    Rest my friend. So when you have more energy you will see that I am always right like TITL ;D

8)