Using Left Hand in Christianity

2»

Comments

• It is taken as meaning that the power of God (from the right) conquers and overcomes the powers of darkness (on the left).

It has also been taken as meaning that salvation has come from the Jews (on the right) to the Gentiles (on the left).
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=12774.msg150039#msg150039 date=1325881662]
    Yes. That would make sense as well. Depends on how the mother and child were positioned.

My apologies.. it seems to me that it does look like this could have been the case. However, the priest did tell me to use the right side.

I spoke to a Bishop today about this who told me that it was not that important to follow - he said whatever makes u feel comfortable in holding your child.
  • With all due respect Father, I do not agree with the reasoning.
    Yes the right hand represents the right way in the Bible but what does that have to do with the handedness?
    I'll give you a very close example: the black race;
    Just like the right, the darkness is considered evil in the Bible while brightness(white) is good.
    Also in many Caucasian cultures, the word black is often associated with bad and black people have often been considered inferior to whites.
    As a result, by your reasoning black people are supposed to be inferior because in the Bible, the colour black is associated with evil as is such also many cultures.
  • Perhaps you do not agree with the reasoning, but this is because you are not willing to humble yourself before the tradition of the Church and wish to allow your own reason to be the judge of things.

It is you who have introduced handedness. Where has anyone mentioned handedness except you? The Church teaches us to use the right hand because of the symbolic and spiritual meaning, not because of handedness. You have not understood the meaning of the symbolism or the spirituality.

It is offensive that you are accusing me of racism. Since you know very little of my life it is doubly offensive. I have grown up in a family that always had many foster children from ethnic backgrounds who were always treated as brothers and sisters. I now belong to a Church filled with people of different ethnicities from Ethiopian through Egyptian to Armenian. On what basis do you accuse me of racism? Where have I ever said anything about black people being inferior?

This does not mean that the colour black cannot have symbolic and spiritual meaning.
  • I am sorry if you misunderstood my argument but I do not see how I called you racist in any way; I simply drew a comparison to your argument to another.
    Anyways, I am not convinced.
    Also, there is difference between showing humility and blindly accepting beliefs that are far from Scripture and the actual beliefs and fruits of the Church.
    However, I will not continue to argue because I think the substance of the argument is useless. I honestly believe God does not put much importance into what hand we use to take Communion.
    It is ridiculous to be having an argument about what hand to use when millions are going hungry and in need on Christmas, Christians are being attacked worldwide and many are still waiting to hear the word of God.
    I think God would put more importance into that.
  • [quote author=pharoh123 link=topic=12774.msg150067#msg150067 date=1325944227]
    I am sorry if you misunderstood my argument but I do not see how I called you racist in any way; I simply drew a comparison to your argument to another.
    Anyways, I am not convinced.
    Also, there is difference between showing humility and blindly accepting beliefs that are far from Scripture and the actual beliefs and fruits of the Church.
    However, I will not continue to argue because I think the substance of the argument is useless. I honestly believe God does not put much importance into what hand we use to take Communion.
    It is ridiculous to be having an argument about what hand to use when millions are going hungry and in need on Christmas, Christians are being attacked worldwide and many are still waiting to hear the word of God.
    I think God would put more importance into that.

How can you say it is not the belief of the Church when the Church Fathers them teach that and the liturgical instructions teach that as well.

Where else do you get your the church teachings?!!!!