Where did jesus go between when he was 12 and the beginning fo his teachings?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Where did jesus go between he was 12 and the beginning fo his teachings?

Comments

• It is said that he made at least one visit to Britain. This was first described in a document that we still have in the 9th century, but it was an older tradition.
  • Could you please elaborate here Abouna? I've never come across this before.

Thanks
  • It is an ancient tradition here in Britain that our Lord came on a trade visit to Britain in the time between his 12th year and his ministry, and that he accompanied his uncle Joseph of Arimathea.

For example, St Augustine, writing to Pope St Gregory in about 597 AD says..

In the Western confines of Britain there is a certain royal island of large extent, surrounded by water, abounding in all the beauties of nature and necessaries of life. In it the first neophytes (believers) of Catholic law, God beforehand acquainting them, found a Church constructed by no human art, but by the hands of Christ himself, for the salvation of his people. The Almighty has made it manifest by many miracles and mysterious visitations that he continues to watch over it as sacred to himself, and to Mary, the Mother of God.

This place is of course Glastonbury, in the Western parts of England.

It is not impossible that if Joseph of Arimathea was a trader he would travel to that part of England where tin was mined and traded from ancient times. We know that ships sailed from Alexandria to Britain, and there are St Menas pilgrim flasks which have been found in ancient settlements in Britain which show that there was clearly a movement of people between the East and West. We know that some Coptic monks reached Ireland for instance.

This is not dogma, about the visit of our Lord, but it is an ancient tradition.
  • He traveled 2500 miles to trade with His uncle?
  • His uncle was a merchant. He travelled with him. There was a well established trade route between Britain and the Middle East because Britain was a source of tin, among other things.

We know, for instance, that at the time of John the Almsgiver ships left Alexandria to trade for grain in Britain.
  • Interesting. Thank you, Father :)
  • Interesting!!! I have heard a talk about him going to India (There is no proof though) but never about Britain..
  • Interesting Fr. Peter, I would like to know more about this. Christ certainly did not go to india, there is no evidence of this whatsoever.
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=12750.msg149709#msg149709 date=1325292893]
    Interesting Fr. Peter, I would like to know more about this. Christ certainly did not go to india, there is no evidence of this whatsoever.

I agree