Taking communion

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
If one comes to mass after the reading of the Gospel, they're not allowed to take communion, right? What if someone comes during the reading? Also, if someone hasn't taken communion in a long time, is it permissible for the person to take communion if he comes late?

Also, I recently went on a church trip to a church in port said (fantastic city, i was surprised at how many churches there were) and we came during the communion and most people from the trip took communion anyways, and my dad said i should because we couldnt control being late, but i refused...was this wrong?

Comments

• [quote author=sodr2 link=topic=12696.msg149163#msg149163 date=1324137514]
    If one comes to mass after the reading of the Gospel, they're not allowed to take communion, right? What if someone comes during the reading? Also, if someone hasn't taken communion in a long time, is it permissible for the person to take communion if he comes late?

Also, I recently went on a church trip to a church in port said (fantastic city, i was surprised at how many churches there were) and we came during the communion and most people from the trip took communion anyways, and my dad said i should because we couldnt control being late, but i refused...was this wrong?

I think it is between you and God. If I come late I generally do not take communion because I feel it is disrespectful. I certainly do not serve as a deacon if I am late, unless needed. There are instances where I am late and it is beyond my control and I take communion. There are also instances in which the need to take it outweighs everything else, so I take it purely out of necessity. But I do not think anyone should take it if they are late, especially if they are consistently late.
  • [quote author=sodr2 link=topic=12696.msg149163#msg149163 date=1324137514]

You always need to take absolution from the priest.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=12696.msg149165#msg149165 date=1324138722]
    [quote author=sodr2 link=topic=12696.msg149163#msg149163 date=1324137514]

Yeah... that is what I always do.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=12696.msg149165#msg149165 date=1324138722]

I would like to ask for absolution BEFORE communion time and not during communion and standing online. Many just expect abouna to give the absolution and just go straight into the communion line. But if we are sure of the absolution, than where is the regret for us doing this specifc wrong doing?!
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12696.msg149169#msg149169 date=1324141808]
    [quote author=imikhail link=topic=12696.msg149165#msg149165 date=1324138722]

I would like to ask for absolution BEFORE communion time and not during communion and standing online. Many just expect abouna to give the absolution and just go straight into the communion line. But if we are sure of the absolution, than where is the regret for us doing this specifc wrong doing?!

There is an absolution in the service.
  • I think to be completely clear of any wrongdoing, you should discuss this with you FOC, and take his advise.

Pray for me,
    WO
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=12696.msg149173#msg149173 date=1324148631]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12696.msg149169#msg149169 date=1324141808]
    [quote author=imikhail link=topic=12696.msg149165#msg149165 date=1324138722]

There is an absolution in the service.

There are absolution for general things through the liturgy.....even after the fraction. But something as specific and personal as this, a personal absolution is needed.