Jesus Fasting for us

Jesus fasted for us 40 days and 40 nights.

We fast to weaken our bodies in order to get closer to God.

Why did Jesus fast or need to fast for us? He is God; why did he need to get closer to himself? He can still do whatever he wants without fasting because He is God right?

Comments

• Our Lord fasted as an example to us. He fasted before He began His ministry on earth to show us that without fasting and prayer our life and work will not be fruitful.
    Hope I helped.
    Please pray for me.
  • Hey guys,

I have a problem. I want to start 2morrow with fasting (2morrow isn't it?) But like every fast, I'm getting to hear this of my dad: "No, you are not going to start 2morrow, we will delay It for a week, 2 weeks.. .etc)" and his arguments are always the same, namely that I must to eat, I am studying,, a couple of weeks is enough, I don't even rememeber them exactly cause he doesn't want to tell me exactly why and he is always ending up making an excuse for me to not to fast now.

The same story happened when I was 15, 16, 17, 18... and I am now.. {don't laugh}: 19.

I am really getting annoyed of it and tired and last week I was in the church when Abouna gave us a sermon ( my dad wasn't there) about fasting and that parents never must let their children delaying the fast, because fasting is making you better, and that it is even healthy to fast and Spiritually it is important.

I am really tired of it. This also discourages me to grow spiritually. I find it weird. He says that he wants me to be the daughter of God and that I become good in spiritually Life, but actually he withhold me to do anything spirtually, even going to youthmeethings is a big problem with him. Overprotection and he is very afraid that I won't pass if I didnt study enough. he is always saying: SHOW me first that you get goog marks, then i will let u enjoy. But every time, i get good marks in the frist term, then it isnt enough for him and then I get one bad mark and he refuses to let me go anywhere. Arghhhhhh!

btw: sorry coptic user for posting in your thread!!

Please pray,
  • wow, i think u should fast. u r old enough now.
    maybe u could offer to cook for yr dad sometimes.
    do some foul meddames (or get it from a tin like i do) and some stir-fry veg and a microwave potato or some bread to go with it, then fry an egg (i'm sorry if anyone reads this tomorrow and sees 'egg'!) or some bacon and add it to his plate.

i have plenty of experience of the fasting / no fasting disagreement, which lead to this thread:
    http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php/topic,7779.msg101471.html#msg101471

as before; fitari food warning! those struggling to fast do not open this as it mentions non fasting foods
    ;)
    because of these and similar recipes, i have more harmony during fasts; i pray u will too.
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=12600.msg147974#msg147974 date=1322177860]
    wow, i think u should fast. u r old enough now.
    do some foul meddames (or get it from a tin like i do) and some stir-fry veg and a microwave potato or some bread to go with it, then fry an egg (i'm sorry if anyone reads this tomorrow and sees 'egg'!) or some bacon and add it to his plate.

i have plenty of experience of the fasting / no fasting disagreement, which lead to this thread:
    http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php/topic,7779.msg101471.html#msg101471

as before; fitari food warning! those struggling to fast do not open this as it mentions non fasting foods
    ;)
    because of these and similar recipes, i have more harmony during fasts; i pray u will too.

I know that I should fast. And I will fast. But how can I disobey my dad? If he says, I will let you fasting about a week or 2 or i don't know, that what can i do? I don't have enough might/power to convince him. Lol.

Thanks anyway maboosta.

Btw: fry an egg? Huh, an egg is not syami :p
    Btw 2: I can't cook and my dad won't let me do so at this moment :p
  • [quote author=+Marmar+ link=topic=12600.msg147988#msg147988 date=1322235113]
    [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=12600.msg147974#msg147974 date=1322177860]

;)

I know that I should fast. And I will fast. But how can I disobey my dad? If he says, I will let you fasting about a week or 2 or i don't know, that what can i do? I don't have enough might/power to convince him. Lol.

Thanks anyway maboosta.

I would like to bring something very important up: Fasting isn't all about food (In my opinion its more like 10% food and 90% actions). I mean seriously I can fast the rest of my life if fasting is all about food, not that hard. But what really matters is actions and controlling yourself.  To be honest if you want to fast but you cant, try avoiding food you like and do everything else like you were fasting. (I mean you'd basically be fasting, but not taking communion for two weeks.)

P.S. please don't try to make this an argument because truly fasting is about self-control and not that you ate a egg for lunch.
  • u can't cook?
    do u have auntie or someone u can ask to teach u?
    i don't mean doing mahshi or something really hard but the things in my fasting recipies above are easy.
    i meant cook an e** for yr dad, not for u!
    i think u can 'disobey' him to a certain extent; u r over 18 and u can compromise with him.

the idea is u make some sayami stuff and then put some extra fitari stuff with it for the person who is not fasting.
    i have censored the 'e' word as it is now the fast! regulars will know i don't like to hear about certain foods during the fast as i am weak!
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=12600.msg148035#msg148035 date=1322427396]
    u can't cook?
    do u have auntie or someone u can ask to teach u?
    i don't mean doing mahshi or something really hard but the things in my fasting recipies above are easy.
    i meant cook an e** for yr dad, not for u!
    i think u can 'disobey' him to a certain extent; u r over 18 and u can compromise with him.

the idea is u make some sayami stuff and then put some extra fitari stuff with it for the person who is not fasting.
    i have censored the 'e' word as it is now the fast! regulars will know i don't like to hear about certain foods during the fast as i am weak!

Ahhhh, probably I didn't explain it well. My father does fast actually. Only I am the person who isn't.

You are laughing at me :( No, I can't cook :p
    Yes, of course I can bake a egg (baked *gg, boiled *gg! XD), mac*rona, sp*ghettie, p*nc*kes, I helped my dad once with cooking some stuff, hamb*rger, potatoes, salad, sauce), but that's it, and never really cooked a whole dinner. Not really impressing :p
    But this is because my father always cooks and he cooks food as if it's food from heaven :D (as well egyptian food as european food)
    Lol... I'm afraid I'm a little bit spoiled.
    But for sure I will take cooking lessons as soon as possible, because that when I'm got married, my husband must not to go every day to the M*c Donalds or P*zzeria, after he has thrown my own cooked la7ma out of the window.

Actually, I don't think I can disobey my dad. The Bible says: "Honor thy Father and Mother." In the Lord of course.
    But believe me, arguing with him will not have any effect, I have got of 19 years experience :p (or less).
    He is standing open for compromises, but if he has made a decision, I can't change that. Last day he told me, I will let you fast after 2 weeks.. (he says that this is earlier than last year, but lol i dont remember).

Anyway, I hope that God will do the best.
  • [quote author=Abanoub737 link=topic=12600.msg147998#msg147998 date=1322250461]
    [quote author=+Marmar+ link=topic=12600.msg147988#msg147988 date=1322235113]
    [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=12600.msg147974#msg147974 date=1322177860]

;)

Thanks anyway maboosta.

I would like to bring something very important up: Fasting isn't all about food (In my opinion its more like 10% food and 90% actions). I mean seriously I can fast the rest of my life if fasting is all about food, not that hard. But what really matters is actions and controlling yourself.  To be honest if you want to fast but you cant, try avoiding food you like and do everything else like you were fasting. (I mean you'd basically be fasting, but not taking communion for two weeks.)

P.S. please don't try to make this an argument because truly fasting is about self-control and not that you ate a egg for lunch.

I TOTALLY agree with you.
    Good point!

GBU