Is it okay to lie about grades?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Ok here's my dilemma, me and my friend go to school together, I'm doing very well academically thanks to God (100% God not me). My friend, however, is not doing so good (pray for them). He is constantly asking me of my grades, I always say no because I don't want them to compare grades and end up feeling bad about themselves, but they keep pushing to the point where I can't give no for an answer. Is it okay to lie and say I did bad so as to avoid this?

Comments

• Haha, I would say try to find a way around it without lying. Usually changing the subject is a good way to get around it. "Hey seekfirst what did you get on the chem test?" "Oh man, did you see the game last night". If you are persistent in not saying, he will eventually give up.
  • [quote author=seekfirst link=topic=12579.msg147700#msg147700 date=1321655535]
    Ok here's my dilemma, me and my friend go to school together, I'm doing very well academically thanks to God (100% God not me). My friend, however, is not doing so good (pray for them). He is constantly asking me of my grades, I always say no because I don't want them to compare grades and end up feeling bad about themselves, but they keep pushing to the point where I can't give no for an answer. Is it okay to lie and say I did bad so as to avoid this?

I know how you feel. This is the same thing that is happening to me constantly. I hate competetiveness, and i don't like people comparing themselves to me, because it changes the way i look at them even though i try not to. The way i answer them when they ask for my grades is "My grades are my private business and I don't feel comfortable disclosing them."
  • Ah, the beloved question of "the white lie." Here is an answer to a question about white lies by H.G. Bishop Youssef.

Is it okay to lie to save a person's life? Wouldn't it then be the lesser of two evils where if we don't lie we are technically killing the person but if we do, we save a life? In general, is it okay to lie when it is the lesser of two evils?

The Holy Bible teaches us that it is not okay to lie or to twist the truth. Be straightforward at all times. It is better to be honest with a few words than to offer unnecessary details which will most likely cause you and others to stumble.

H.G. Bishop Youssef

Notice that he refuses a lie that would save a life. How much more lying to save  someone's momentary feelings.

I also echo george's advice. Good luck, and congrats on your good marks. Keep up the good work!

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • In my opinion, if you really believe that it is because of God's grace that you get high grades, you will have no problem sharing them. Every time you lie to hide the good things God has given you, you hide the glory of God.

So, share the high grades you get but make it clear that the glory is God's. Let your friends know that you pray for help and guidance in your studies and God has mercy and compassion on you.
  • +"And his master saw that the Lord was with him and that the Lord made all he did to prosper in his hand. So Joseph found favor in his sight, and served him. Then he made him overseer of his house, and all that he had he put under his authority. " (Gen. 39:2-3) (ONE verse later, Joseph was already overseer!! :) )

Be that light this world is greatly in need of.

"...In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths." - Proverbs 3:6

They also need an academically serious friend - through God's grace - to help them with their studies and give advice on exams etc.
    Be that hope.

Telling them your grade will probably encourage them to strive.. and help them. Because there may be thoughts from the person saying "Oh well, at least I'm not failing alone" and so on.. as false justifications.

Say the truth and God will bless. If you don't, the truth will always come out. "For nothing is secret that will not be revealed, nor anything hidden that will not be known and come to light." - Luke 8:17 (I may have possibly used this verse out of context but it is true, and other times God hides things for our benefit and because He is ultimately loving).