Coptic Museum

Anyone here visit this museum? I went yesterday, while visiting Coptic Cairo, and let me tell you the things I saw were unreal (i encourage everyone to go visit if you get the chance). Ancient tonyas (the stitching was cool), cymbals (its strange to know how far back they go), carved images of angels and the Holy Family, but what really captivated me the most were the colorful icons painted on stone which were apparently excavated from the cells of monks from ancient monasteries i never heard of in upper egypt. i just stood there thinking to myself this is what solitary monks prayed to everyday in isolation (the museum was virtually empty).

i really wish i could attend a liturgy in the coptic period just to see the differences (and im sure it would be enthralling), even though that desire usually diminishes whenever i attend mass early in the morning and stand while the ringing bells echos off the dome as Abouna picks the bread and the deacons chant Kyrie Eleyson. i just love our Coptic church...yeah, just something I wanted to share. yeah... "yeah" is such a convenient word to use when self consciousness arises during internet communication.

Pray for me?

Comments

• That sounds awesome!! I would really love to go!
    Do you by any chance have any pictures to share?  ;D
  • They don't allow cameras unfortunately, but i did feel guilty taking one picture of a cool icon in another church nearby before the doorman said no pictures allowed, may as well share it:

http://i40.tinypic.com/b6eizd.jpg
  • [quote author=sodr2 link=topic=12545.msg147169#msg147169 date=1320710702]
    Anyone here visit this museum? I went yesterday, while visiting Coptic Cairo, and let me tell you the things I saw were unreal (i encourage everyone to go visit if you get the chance). Ancient tonyas (the stitching was cool), cymbals (its strange to know how far back they go), carved images of angels and the Holy Family, but what really captivated me the most were the colorful icons painted on stone which were apparently excavated from the cells of monks from ancient monasteries i never heard of in upper egypt. i just stood there thinking to myself this is what solitary monks prayed to everyday in isolation, and even prayed in front of it to see what it feels like (the museum was virtually empty).

i really wish i could attend a liturgy in the coptic period just to see the differences (and im sure it would be enthralling), even though that desire usually diminishes whenever i attend mass early in the morning and stand while the ringing bells echos off the dome as Abouna picks the bread and the deacons chant Kyrie Eleyson. i just love our Coptic church...yeah, just something I wanted to share. yeah... "yeah" is such a convenient word to use when self consciousness arises during internet communication.

Pray for me?

besides the Patriarchal Cathedral, do churches still ring bells in egypt??
  • Amazing place!

It is quite a bit better each time I go there.

I take pictures without flash.  I was allowed.

• Better than taking your own pictures, take a look at these two books by Gawdat Gabra, renowned Coptic scholar and former director of the Coptic museum. The first book is  The treasures of Coptic art in the Coptic Museum and churches of Old Cairo and the second book is The illustrated guide to the Coptic Museum and churches of Old Cairo

Look them up on Google books and search for them in a local library. You can't match the quality of pictures taken. In addition, you can order them from St Shenouda the Archimandrite Coptic Society. Don't get them from Amazon since Amazon is going to get from them and charge an additional fee.

If you want more books, let me know.