Apostles on the Iconostasis

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me with obtaining a list of the apostles and their sequence on the iconostasis in the Coptic tradition.

Thanks in advance,

LiD

Comments

• + Irini nem ehmot,

I have been doing some reading, but haven't found anything that states there's a specific order that the Apostles are placed in across the top of the iconostasis. This is all I was able to find out:

The Church: House of God by Fr. Tadros Malaty

POSITIONING AND ORDER OF ICONS

Positioning of the various icons upon the Iconostasis is traditionally governed by a number of guidelines:

+ On the right side of the Royal door, the icon of our Lord Jesus Christ is fitted. He appears holding a sheet of the Gospel showing the verse “I am the Good Shepherd”. This icon reminds us that Jesus Christ is the unique gate leading to the heavenly Kingdom. He is the Good Shepherd who opened the gates to heaven through His life-giving sacrifice.

Next to this icon appears the icon of St. John the Baptist, the Angel who prepared the way for the Lord’s coming. Next, comes the icon of the “Patron Saint” or the “Icon of the Church”, for it portrays the Saint in whose honour the Church was built. It is usually followed by a number of selected icons of Saints and Martyrs, or incidents from both the New and Old Testaments. On the opposite side of the Royal Door appears the icon of St. Mary, the Mother of God (THEOTOKOS). She represents the whole church and the Queen who sits on the right hand of the King; Jesus Christ. This icon is followed by the icons of the Annunciation, Archangel Michael, St. Mark the Evangelist and perhaps a selection of famous Apostles.

+ Directly above the Royal Door the icon of the last supper is mounted. It shows Christ giving communion to His disciples, which illustrates and signifies the Sacerdotal office of Christ as a priest. On both sides of the above icon we usually find icons of the twelve disciples. They assure us of the apostolic nature of our church. It is established on the apostolic faith, and continues to exist in an apostolic way, and is shepherded by apostolic pastors.

+ On the top of the Iconostasis a cross is mounted and a view of the Golgotha is displayed: the Virgin Mary stands on one side and St. John the disciple stands on the other side.

Source
  • [quote author=LoveisDivine link=topic=12449.msg145853#msg145853 date=1318209813]
    Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me with obtaining a list of the apostles and their sequence on the iconostasis in the Coptic tradition.

Thanks in advance,

LiD

There is no particular order.
  • The holy synod decreed the next three days to fasting and prayer for all Copts around the world starting tomorrow.

http://www.copts-united.com/Arabic2011/Article.php?I=952&A=45101
  • There is an order to the Apostles on the Iconostasis.

To the Left of the Lord's Supper:  St. Peter.
    To the right of the Lord's Supper:  St. John the Beloved.
    To the end:  St. Matthias.
    The rest are arranged as they are mentioned in the Scripture.

The first three positions are absolute.
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

[quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=12449.msg145885#msg145885 date=1318286104]
    There is an order to the Apostles on the Iconostasis.

To the Left of the Lord's Supper:  St. Peter.
    To the right of the Lord's Supper:  St. John the Beloved.
    To the end:  St. Matthias.
    The rest are arranged as they are mentioned in the Scripture.

The first three positions are absolute.

Source?