Is the gospel of John read on the resurrection

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
I think i read somewhere that the whole book of john is read on the resurrection day. Can someone give me more clarification.

Comments

• The whole book of Revelation (written by St. John) is read in our church on Bright Saturday (Abu Ghalamses)
  • The Book of Revelation is read prior to the Bright Saturday Liturgy. 
    The Book of Revelation if also known as the "Book of the Apocalyse".  Hence, the Arabized word "Abu ghalamsis" = Apocalypse.

As for the Gospel of St. John it is read in the time frame between the Bright Saturday Liturgy and the Matins for the Resurrection Feast.
  • [quote author=churchbob link=topic=12422.msg145539#msg145539 date=1317665102]
    I think i read somewhere that the whole book of john is read on the resurrection day. Can someone give me more clarification.

Yes. This is correct.

Tuesday - Matthew
    Wednesday - Mark
    Thursday - Luke
    Friday - Psalms
    Saturday - Revelation
    Sunday - John (before the Vesper Praises)
  • And the whole Book of Tobit is read on last Friday of Lent, right? So when should the rest of the Bible read?
    Oujai
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

[quote author=ophadece link=topic=12422.msg145575#msg145575 date=1317714712]
    So when should the rest of the Bible read?
    Oujai

Throughout the year.
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12422.msg145575#msg145575 date=1317714712]
    And the whole Book of Tobit is read on last Friday of Lent, right? So when should the rest of the Bible read?
    Oujai

also JOB is read in the matins pascha of wednesday........matins pascha hour is always a beautiful hour to be there for.

ACTUALLY, the tradition is that we read the entire Bible during lent, hence all the prophecies during matin of weekdays liturgy. i always wanted to ask someone to go through ALL the readings of lent and compile them to know what do we read exactly. anyone up for it?
  • That's my question rephrased Mina, thanks
    Oujai
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

[quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12422.msg145608#msg145608 date=1317755040]
    ACTUALLY, the tradition is that we read the entire Bible during lent, hence all the prophecies during matin of weekdays liturgy. i always wanted to ask someone to go through ALL the readings of lent and compile them to know what do we read exactly. anyone up for it?

You mean like this: Focus on the Coptic Family
    Go to the chapter on The Great Lent.
  • Dear Cephas,
    That is a good book you provided, but I still can't find the answer to my question. Thanks anyway...
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12422.msg145634#msg145634 date=1317812353]
    Dear Cephas,
    That is a good book you provided, but I still can't find the answer to my question. Thanks anyway...
    Oujai qen `P[C

The Church, in her current liturgical rites, does not read the whole Scriptures but excerpts from it that are unique to the occasion we are celebrating.

The goal of the rites are to personify the mysteries that we receive and following the Church reads samples from the scriptures rather than choosing every single passage.
  • My personal opinion imikhail is that people got bored... especially with the original rites of singing the scriptures... and add to that translating them from Coptic afterwards... whoa whoa come on... who is going to withstand all that?
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12422.msg145654#msg145654 date=1317836320]
    My personal opinion imikhail is that people got bored... especially with the original rites of singing the scriptures... and add to that translating them from Coptic afterwards... whoa whoa come on... who is going to withstand all that?
    Oujai qen `P[C

You are right  .. the whole bible used to be read during the len before Pope Khristodolos and remained so for a while in Upper Egypt after he put the current Katamaras.

Till very recent, the epistles used to be chanted, in Egypt. I do not think they are chanted anymore.
  • I heard about one church (only one so far) in harret el room (named Al Amir Tadros) that they insist on singing the epistles in Coptic first and then translate into Arabic (90% sure though). I haven't been, and obviously the current practice is for SOME, only some, churches to chant them during feast Liturgies (and of course not all Lordly feasts) IF there is plenty of time...
    PS: end of days do not come all of a sudden. It's a gradual process that may take thousands of years. Only God knows. Please pray for me and my wife and our salvation (and our family's) if that is not too much to ask
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12422.msg145659#msg145659 date=1317839290]

PS: end of days do not come all of a sudden. It's a gradual process that may take thousands of years. Only God knows. Please pray for me and my wife and our salvation (and our family's) if that is not too much to ask
    Oujai qen `P[C

wow.....so now the End of Days is here because we don't read the Bible in coptic anymore?! don't you think  that this statement is a little far fetched? i think zealously to the coptic language has corrupted your mind to the point that you are defining not using copitc as a language in our faith BE a sign to the End of Days. if we ought to think the way you are thinking, what makes us differnt from muslims who belief the the quran MUST be read in arabic and if you don't know arabic (or pray in it), you are dooooomed. 
  • Hehe... thank God you don't think like me.
    That is a very interesting point Mina, and I hope I make myself clear (although I really think I had done that a long time ago, and again I don't want this thread to be focussed on what I think)... in a nut shell: Coptic is not a heavenly or an angelic language. What I was getting at is the constant concessions that we have to make to please these, and please those, and please such and such.
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12422.msg145662#msg145662 date=1317841361]
    Hehe... thank God you don't think like me.
    That is a very interesting point Mina, and I hope I make myself clear (although I really think I had done that a long time ago, and again I don't want this thread to be focussed on what I think)... in a nut shell: Coptic is not a heavenly or an angelic language. What I was getting at is the constant concessions that we have to make to please these, and please those, and please such and such.
    Oujai qen `P[C

we please ppl TO SOME CERTAIN EXTENT to win them to God and that they may win salvation. Coptic as a language can be sacrificed for the salvation of others.
  • I don't agree with the placatory approach...
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • I believe what ophadece is getting at (ophadece correct me if I am wrong) is that the clergy may sacrifice essential elements of the Orthodox worship under the banner of saving others.

The Catholic Church felt into this trap a long time ago by eliminating the various fastings, the participation of women in giving the communion, communing non believers, .....

• [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12422.msg145665#msg145665 date=1317844456]
    I don't agree with the placatory approach...
    Oujai qen `P[C

you don't have to....it never been a matter of compromise but a matter of saving souls.
    You place a language or even and entire heritage over a human soul. I don't believe in absolutism but an absolute desire of GOD is to save soul--HE, being God and our Creator will go far enough to save that soul......
  • Dear Mina,
    I tend to agree more with imikhail's view on this. I am not sure if you remember if I said that before, but I am all for absolutism. Relativism has an ugly face, and I guess you may already see how it is showing itself... anyway it is your opinion, and I respect it, but I disagree.
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12422.msg145669#msg145669 date=1317846282]
    Dear Mina,
    I tend to agree more with imikhail's view on this. I am not sure if you remember if I said that before, but I am all for absolutism. Relativism has an ugly face, and I guess you may already see how it is showing itself... anyway it is your opinion, and I respect it, but I disagree.
    Oujai qen `P[C

We are all sinners. not one of us is pure even if we have lived on earth of a single day...why do we still have the calling to enter heaven?

i can give you MUCH MORE exampl of cases where there are exceptions for things that are a "must" for salvation.
  • I don't have much time to post, but, Ophadece, you can't possibly disagree with Mina's point that Salvation > our Coptic heritage?

I feel there is a misunderstanding here.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=12422.msg145666#msg145666 date=1317845761]
    I believe what ophadece is getting at (ophadece correct me if I am wrong) is that the clergy may sacrifice essential elements of the Orthodox worship under the banner of saving others.

so now you don't trust the shepherds of Christ to do their job?!
  • Dear TITL,
    My point is not about Coptic heritage, it's about compromise in all aspects including Coptic heritage... I never alluded to salvation being a side issue at all..
    Oujai
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12422.msg145674#msg145674 date=1317848357]
    Dear TITL,
    My point is not about Coptic heritage, it's about compromise in all aspects including Coptic heritage... I never alluded to salvation being a side issue at all..
    Oujai

than coptic heritage is not part of our faith and than it is not part of Orthodoxy and than it's not to be on this forum is so....
  • Mina,

I can't agree that Coptic isn't part of Orthodoxy, because that is exactly what it is: part of Orthodoxy. I don't understand why our language and heritage can't be apart of our faith?

You, of all people, know the significance of Coptic in the Church. Stop attacking Ophadece and making a big deal from nothing. He didn't misspeak by saying 'first we compromise Coptic heritage, then compromise other aspects of the church'. He was just making a connection. His last post clarified that.

• [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12422.msg145677#msg145677 date=1317852416]
    [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12422.msg145674#msg145674 date=1317848357]
    Dear TITL,
    Oujai

than coptic heritage is not part of our faith and than it is not part of Orthodoxy and than it's not to be on this forum is so....

Coptic is very much part of our faith and our Orthodoxy.

Coptic is one of the original languages of the Bible and is referred to in theological matters. The reason is that Coptic is very precise it its theological expressions. In addition, the majority of monastic literature is in Coptic that is still studied till today all over the world.

It is a shame that Copts like Mina do not know much of their heritage and the connection between it and their faith.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=12422.msg145681#msg145681 date=1317860327]
    It is a shame that Copts like Mina do not know much of their heritage and the connection between it and their faith.

It is a shame for to put this over the salvation of others. Despite what benefits you consider, anything that a human being places as a block for another to not receive salvation is unacceptable. 
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12422.msg145684#msg145684 date=1317865029]
    [quote author=imikhail link=topic=12422.msg145681#msg145681 date=1317860327]

It is a shame for to put this over the salvation of others. Despite what benefits you consider, anything that a human being places as a block for another to not receive salvation is unacceptable.

Where in the quote you highlighted do you see such a conclusion?

It is a shame that people do not understand what is written.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=12422.msg145681#msg145681 date=1317860327]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12422.msg145677#msg145677 date=1317852416]
    [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12422.msg145674#msg145674 date=1317848357]
    Dear TITL,
    Oujai

Coptic is very much part of our faith and our Orthodoxy.

Coptic is one of the original languages of the Bible and is referred to in theological matters. The reason is that Coptic is very precise it its theological expressions. In addition, the majority of monastic literature is in Coptic that is still studied till today all over the world.

That's all very nice, but what does it prove?

All you are saying is that is a part of our faith in that it is the written reference for us in several areas. Everything you said above can be applied to the Greek language. . .will you say that Greek is very much a part of our faith and Orthodoxy?