YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!

edited December 1969 in Technical Topics
Ok, mikesl, You really need to do something about the spam. I was jst passive about it, but now when i look at topics i actually have to physically filter the spam from the real topics. It's come to the point where I am not able to look at all the topics and spiritually benefit and learn because i miss the topics when i think they are spam. YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING. Servant33 mentioned a forum upgrade. It won't take you much effort to upgrade. Please do something because i love this site too much to leave it go like this. Please, this has been a community i have been a part of for 4 years. Please, you need to take some action. Thank you in advance. May God be with you while you figure out a way to stop spam.

Comments

• Geo,

You forgot to put Maged in the mix.
  • Agreed.

The admins have already spent time "filtering" what they perceived as un-Christian behavior in certain topics. It doesn't make sense to filter messages and ignore the fact that this site is turning into a spam, un-Christian commericialized headache. Sooner or later, these spammers will figure out how to get our emails, screen names, websites and start infecting us in other ways. And we will know it came from here.

I haven't been here as long as others. No one wants to delete their accounts in fear of getting a spam viral attack on personal information. Stop sitting back and doing nothing.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=12329.msg144443#msg144443 date=1315654017]
    Geo,

You forgot to put Maged in the mix.

Well, merged said that mikels was in charge of the forum so I just put his name but if merged can help I would really appreciate it too.

Remenkimi, don't worry about ur identity being stolen or ur email (unless it is public) or ur password. Login info and such is server sided meaning that even if somebody did hack into it that would mean that they had to have unauthorized access to a place that's not theirs and it is easily detectable. Whoever gets caught pulling something like this will go to jail fir a while. Plus now a days all information transferred on the internet (sockets) are encrypted or hashed so even if somebody had access they must decrypt it which is nearly impossible because md5 hash encryption has an impossible algorithm to decrypt. Sorry for this long winded post and pieces of computer jargon, but I just wanted to assure you that u aren't in any danger being on this website. Just don't download an .exe from a random person and you will be fine.
  • At times, I kind of like the spam.  I even respond so that I can test drive my christian conduct with the bots and later I can try it out on human beings.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=12329.msg144504#msg144504 date=1315768848]
    At times, I kind of like the spam.  I even respond so that I can test drive my christian conduct with the bots and later I can try it out on human beings.

LOL!!
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=12329.msg144475#msg144475 date=1315721935]
    Remenkimi, don't worry about ur identity being stolen or ur email (unless it is public) or ur password. Login info and such is server sided meaning that even if somebody did hack into it that would mean that they had to have unauthorized access to a place that's not theirs and it is easily detectable.
    Geo, I understand what you are saying. But it takes one person to get unauthorized access and cause serious havoc. By the time they are caught and apprehended, the damage has gone viral. I didn't download anything from Facebook. But one day unauthorized messages were posted from my account. I had to delete my account to make it stop.

Plus now a days all information transferred on the internet (sockets) are encrypted or hashed so even if somebody had access they must decrypt it which is nearly impossible because md5 hash encryption has an impossible algorithm to decrypt.

I don't disagree. But there are some real smart hackers out there that can do things like this. If they can hack into banks and credit card accounts at TJX and other large companies, then they can decrypt and get access to passwords on a site with below standard security. We don't need to make it easier for them.

Sorry for this long winded post and pieces of computer jargon, but I just wanted to assure you that u aren't in any danger being on this website. Just don't download an .exe from a random person and you will be fine.

The onus of responsibility falls on the admins of this to make sure there aren't an .exe files here for people to accidentally download. At least make sure that unwanted people do not post un-Christian material on a Christian site. Is this too much to ask for?
  • [quote author=Remnkemi link=topic=12329.msg144526#msg144526 date=1315792249]
    [quote author=geomike link=topic=12329.msg144475#msg144475 date=1315721935]
    Remenkimi, don't worry about ur identity being stolen or ur email (unless it is public) or ur password. Login info and such is server sided meaning that even if somebody did hack into it that would mean that they had to have unauthorized access to a place that's not theirs and it is easily detectable.
    Geo, I understand what you are saying. But it takes one person to get unauthorized access and cause serious havoc. By the time they are caught and apprehended, the damage has gone viral. I didn't download anything from Facebook. But one day unauthorized messages were posted from my account. I had to delete my account to make it stop.

Plus now a days all information transferred on the internet (sockets) are encrypted or hashed so even if somebody had access they must decrypt it which is nearly impossible because md5 hash encryption has an impossible algorithm to decrypt.

No, it's not much to ask for at all, this is exactly why i posted this.
    I don't disagree. But there are some real smart hackers out there that can do things like this. If they can hack into banks and credit card accounts at TJX and other large companies, then they can decrypt and get access to passwords on a site with below standard security. We don't need to make it easier for them.

Sorry for this long winded post and pieces of computer jargon, but I just wanted to assure you that u aren't in any danger being on this website. Just don't download an .exe from a random person and you will be fine.

The onus of responsibility falls on the admins of this to make sure there aren't an .exe files here for people to accidentally download. At least make sure that unwanted people do not post un-Christian material on a Christian site. Is this too much to ask for?
  • According to Mikesl...  he has upgraded the forum software to the latest patch revision. He also says he hasn't seen any spam in a few days.

There are more of you (members) then there are of us (admins)...  so please report posts that you come across as spam.

Thanks
  • [move]WE LOVE YOU MAGED AND MIKESL![/move]
    :)  :D  ;D  8)
  • [quote author=Maged link=topic=12329.msg144538#msg144538 date=1315802333]
    According to Mikesl...  he has upgraded the forum software to the latest patch revision. He also says he hasn't seen any spam in a few days.

There are more of you (members) then there are of us (admins)...  so please report posts that you come across as spam.

Thanks

It didn't take long for spam to reappear. Check the thread titled: "niek dunks 2011 but after the two go hand in hand in France"

There are no posts so I can't report it. . .
  • Alright! I'm liking this new look. Thanks admins!  :)
  • i think it's tooo bright....my eyes are hurting a lot....
  • I like the new layout very much. Great job from admins. Thanks...
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • The graphic user interface was never the problem. I do like how it looks but it doesn't matter if spam continues. I hope this update takes care of the spam.
  • This is gonna take some getting used to. At least get rid of the blocks and bring the stars back...lol
  • I'm just hoping the admins can bring back the Coptic button. On Coptichymns.net they have this button that I think transforms Coptic words into unicode that you can read even if the computer doesn't have Coptic fonts installed... any chance of that happening?
    Oujai
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12329.msg144669#msg144669 date=1315949966]
    I'm just hoping the admins can bring back the Coptic button. On Coptichymns.net they have this button that I think transforms Coptic words into unicode that you can read even if the computer doesn't have Coptic fonts installed... any chance of that happening?
    Oujai

i am not into unicode yet because i don't think it's perfected yet. when i say that, i imply that mikesl would think so to.

i do want to much added the name of the font on the list above thoo.
  • I think there should be more stars added relative to levels.

Get rid of the blocks.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=12329.msg144673#msg144673 date=1315952237]
    I think there should be more stars added relative to levels.

Get rid of the blocks.

i deserve a special kind of stars.......
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=12329.msg144671#msg144671 date=1315952054]
    i am not into unicode yet because i don't think it's perfected yet. when i say that, i imply that mikesl would think so to.

i do want to much added the name of the font on the list above thoo.

Mina,
    Unicode is updated annual. And specific unicode fonts are updated constantly. The non-Unicode fonts like CS fonts have not been updated for 10 years or so. And they don't have all the Coptic glyphs that Unicode has. Not to mention, Unicode is cross-platform. It has become the standard for nearly all websites and companies.

Summary: Unicode is nearly perfected and much more advanced than non-Unicode fonts. I hope we switch to Unicode.
  • Wow, i really like the gui now. it's very modern. good job, admins.
  • Summary: Unicode is nearly perfected and much more advanced than non-Unicode fonts. I hope we switch to Unicode.

send me examples of sites.
  • Mina, I'm banking my hopes on you amongst the admins of course. I hope when Remenkimi shows you examples, you can transform this site... God bless all your efforts...
    Oujai
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12329.msg144694#msg144694 date=1315983797]
    Mina, I'm banking my hopes on you amongst the admins of course. I hope when Remenkimi shows you examples, you can transform this site... God bless all your efforts...
    Oujai

heyy.....i am not an admin.....but i know the admins closely. that's it.
  • Ya3ny shall I bank on you or not?
    Oujai
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12329.msg144716#msg144716 date=1316027232]
    Ya3ny shall I bank on you or not?
    Oujai

show me wat your fight for first......cause i havn't seen one that is good enough yet.
  • I think I'll leave the answer for Remenkimi then. I'm sure though you may understand something about coptichymns.net... or not?
    Oujai
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=12329.msg144719#msg144719 date=1316028872]
    I think I'll leave the answer for Remenkimi then. I'm sure though you may understand something about coptichymns.net... or not?
    Oujai

it sucks there....also recently on copticheritage.org......
  • I'm only talking about Coptic font application, not the forum generally....
    Oujai