SPAM

Comments

• bump!
    come on mods, get some of these computer geeks to help u clean up the spam!!!

[move]clean the spam![/move]
  • Yeah, the spam is really out of control here lately. For every one real post, there seem to be at least 5 spam messages, often in their own threads that just sit there cluttering the place up forever. Everybody's busy, of course, but it would greatly improve this place if even one person could be an "anti-spam mod", if even just on a very part-time basis.
  • yeah, i recommend anyone who has more than 581 posts to be spam-mod!
    ;)
  • I agree...I can be an anti-spam mod for the next...5 minutes or so. (Graduate classes at the university start tomorrow...maybe between classes and other work, somehow? I would hate to commit and then prove myself even less effective than doing nothing!)
  • Or can we just make it harder to make an account?
  • This forum definitely needs an upgrade.
  • Yes. I totally agree.
  • [quote author=dzheremi link=topic=12073.msg143503#msg143503 date=1313956708]
    Yeah, the spam is really out of control here lately. For every one real post, there seem to be at least 5 spam messages, often in their own threads that just sit there cluttering the place up forever. Everybody's busy, of course, but it would greatly improve this place if even one person could be an "anti-spam mod", if even just on a very part-time basis.

I have no life and nothing to do, even when school starts. If the forum needs someone to do this, I would be more than happy to do it!
  •    

[move]    PLEASE CLEAN THE SPAM[/move]
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=12073.msg144232#msg144232 date=1315246570]

[move]    PLEASE CLEAN THE SPAM[/move]

Couldn't Have said it better.
  • I nominate Geo or Minagir or both.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=12073.msg144239#msg144239 date=1315259257]
    I nominate Geo or Minagir or both.

Well, I think that the administrators are the people that know the people who made the site, or go to the same church as them. I don't think that they trust anybody else with the rank of administrator, and it doesn't help that they are never online.
  • But why don't they just upgrade the whole forum to completely avoid the spam posting? it is getting really annoying!
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=12073.msg144250#msg144250 date=1315274064]
    But why don't they just upgrade the whole forum to completely avoid the spam posting? it is getting really annoying!

Lol, programming and web design doesn't work like that. It may prevent some spam, but spam will keep coming, there's no way to stop it, but there should be things such as bans and such so that repeat offenders may not even access the site unless they are using a proxy which most people don't think about doing.
  • I cast my vote for geomike as well.
  • But why isn't there the human verification box when signing up?
  • i have a great idea!
    someone could report this post of mine to a moderator and then they will see it and clean the spam!

[move]AARGH! TOOO MUCH SPAM!!![/move]
  • You've been reported to the moderators, mabsoota.
  • thanks!
    i thought about reporting one of you guys (for the same reason) but didn't want to upset anybody!
    :)
  • The problem is that the forums are using an out-dated version of the forum code. A simple upgrade to the most recent version, including a more secure CAPTCHA, and installation of an add-on or two will stop the nearly all the spam automatically with no need for human input. I was working with another forum (run with phpbb) that was getting spammed like crazy, and all I did was install an add-on that made it so you need to have made at least 10 post before using the url tag, and I haven't seen any spam for several months now (lol knock on wood). For phpbb the upgrade process took probably less than 20 minutes, and I don't think SMF (the code this forum is using) will be much more difficult.

These spammers are coming from automated bots, likely NOT real people, that are exploiting vulnerable versions of the forums..
  • I also nominate servant33. I'm reporting you to the mods, man - it's nothing personal ;) I seriously don't understand why no action has been taken to improve the forums, considering how easy you made it sound.
  • you have my vote too servant 33!
    also your posts are really sensible
    :)
  • Here is what need to be done.. send all your requests for forum upgrades in a PM to mikesl ...  he's the one that does that part...  :-)
  • I sent in my request - I encourage others to please do the same.
  • done!
    thanks maged  :)
    looks like reporting ourselves worked!
    8)