Standards

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Does God have different standards for people? Such as does His standard for a servant in church differ from His standard for a layman.

Comments

• + Irini nem ehmot,

This is our Christian standard: 'Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.' (Matthew 5:48)

And St. Peter says, 'but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.' (1 Peter 1: 15-16)

That being said, St. James also teaches, 'My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.' (James 3:!)
  • [quote author=I Believe link=topic=12066.msg143135#msg143135 date=1313258800]
    Does God have different standards for people? Such as does His standard for a servant in church differ from His standard for a layman.

I think more specifically than this God expects something uniquely different from each of us.  In the same way that the saints are radically different in their personalities and have been given different glories by God in their service and ministry by extension each of us receives different gifts which God expects each of us to apply in a way which is individually unique.  To those whom more is given, more will be expected so in a word servants will be judged in proportion to the ministry which God requires of them.

Please pray for me,

LiD
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

I agree. The story of the talents illustrates that beautifully.