Funny or embarrassing incidents at church

12346»

Comments

• I remember since my primary school days I used to stay the entire Pascha Week at the monastery here in sydney. There was this one reading that starts something like "I am more stupid than any other man..." I'm not exactly sure but it was something like that. Anyway, the monk that allocates the readings would give this one to the same guy on purpose every year for like 4 year in a row. Every time he started all the monks would crack up laughing. One year the guy said "I am more stupid etc..." and one of the monks said "ehna arfeen" (we know). I was only 13 but I cried like a girl from laughter. I love hilarious monks.
  • lol thats a good one!

We have a hilarious priest and i can soo visualise that sort of thing happening! Hahaha
  • I didn't think it funny at all.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=7964.msg142838#msg142838 date=1312907339]
    I didn't think it funny at all.

That's the same thing I was thinking. Pascha, especially is a time in which all your focus should be on the pains and suffering and mercy that Jesus has shown toward us when He suffered for us.
  • Geo,

Your wording is a lot better than mine.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [quote author=DC link=topic=7964.msg142871#msg142871 date=1312925868]
    I supposedly peed on the bible during my baptism.

Sorry... but that was not funny, it was more offending to me than entertaining, despite the fact that you were probably young. It is quite shameful to even bring that up. The Holy Bible is meant to be treated with complete respect.

Please forgive me.
  • [quote author=Forsaken-Forgiven link=topic=7964.msg142877#msg142877 date=1312930757]
    [quote author=DC link=topic=7964.msg142871#msg142871 date=1312925868]
    I supposedly peed on the bible during my baptism.

Sorry... but that was not funny, it was more offending to me than entertaining, despite the fact that you were probably young. It is quite shameful to even bring that up. The Holy Bible is meant to be treated with complete respect.

Please forgive me.

Let us keep in mind that this thread is about funny OR embarrassing incidents. I think the peeing falls into the latter category.
  • I was walking and and Abouna was talking to someone while he was censing the church but he was moving the censer while talking to the guy. I went to kiss his hand and the shoria hits my knee really hard, flips over and ashes and a flaming charcoal falls from my pants to the floor...then the floor went on fire (a small circle, happens often in my church). i run to get water and drop it while running to extinguish the fire....now i keep my distance from shorias!
  • Guys,
    I am sorry. With all due respect to every one, I completely agree with Forgiven-Forsaken. This thread is becoming more of a disparaging thread towards the church and the clergy and non-clergy members. I held myself back for more than a year, but I am sorry this has to be said. This thread is too disrespectful to be on a lovely forum like this. This forum is for edifying. If you think it is funny, I suggest we have a separate forum website all together, not tasbeha.org.
    Come on... who of you thought of starting a thread called "Funny things my father used to say", or "ridiculous things I learnt from my parents"... If those seem so OK with you, then I ask you to continue posting.
    Oujai qen `P[C
  • I was once in a monastery. While i was there, a church group happened to be leaving on a particular day, and they went to take the blessings of the mass before leaving. So the praying monk asked all the deacon boys who were leaving to serve the altar that day. This altar was particularly small, and not much room was available for the ten deacons, so one deacon stood on either side of abouna, and the rest of the deacons just gathered to one side of the altar and stood there. durring the liturgy, the monks outside are saying a response, and i walk into the altar to check on the shoria. I look and see abouna who is praying the mass turn to the deacons and lift his hand as though saying hi, and then loudly say, "Menawareen Ya Gama3a". I died for the rest of the mass. That was the end of me.

The same mass, abouna is cleaning the paten after the mass. The deacon helping him wash the paten is supposed to say "shere pistavros" when there are no more peices of the body. The poor deacon didnt know what to say so he simply nodded. Abound then puts the patten down on the altar, give 2 thumbs up to the kid and loudly asked, "Meya Meya?" Again, that mass brings memories!

-ReturnOrthodoxy
  • look as everyone is entitled to an opinion i have one too. I SINCERELY believe that God has a sense of humor. There is a difference between disrespect and funny incidents that have happened...
  • [quote author=returnorthodoxy link=topic=7964.msg143487#msg143487 date=1313900131]
    I was once in a monastery. While i was there, a church group happened to be leaving on a particular day, and they went to take the blessings of the mass before leaving. So the praying monk asked all the deacon boys who were leaving to serve the altar that day. This altar was particularly small, and not much room was available for the ten deacons, so one deacon stood on either side of abouna, and the rest of the deacons just gathered to one side of the altar and stood there. durring the liturgy, the monks outside are saying a response, and i walk into the altar to check on the shoria. I look and see abouna who is praying the mass turn to the deacons and lift his hand as though saying hi, and then loudly say, "Menawareen Ya Gama3a". I died for the rest of the mass. That was the end of me.

The same mass, abouna is cleaning the paten after the mass. The deacon helping him wash the paten is supposed to say "shere pistavros" when there are no more peices of the body. The poor deacon didnt know what to say so he simply nodded. Abound then puts the patten down on the altar, give 2 thumbs up to the kid and loudly asked, "Meya Meya?" Again, that mass brings memories!

-ReturnOrthodoxy

Who was this priest? Which monastery?  :D