is orthodoxy against change?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
i was wondering, if we're orthodox, does that mean that we're opposed to change and are close-minded?
and is it wrong if we tried to change?
+God Bless you+

Comments

• what changes are u talking about? Dogmatic, ritual, cultural changes? it really depends i think.

Being Orthodox doesn't mean being close-minded, but it means we don't change any of the theology or dogmas that were defended by the blood of our fathers.

As for the rituals, there's nothing wrong with changing the language of the services for instance, nowadays there's Liturgies in a million languages (even in dutch, imagine that lol), but to change the amount of fasts or the length of the Liturgie and such things, will lead us to chang everything, and it will have no end...
  • The Coptic Orthodox Church practices Christianity as it was practiced by the apostles. It is the UNDISTORTED, never altered or misinterpreted SOUND TEACHINGS of the apostles.

Now that we have defined what those who follow orthodoxy are actually following, it’s quite clear that “changing” it would be, what they call, heresy.

So, are we against change? I wouldn’t put it that way, but why would you change something that is perfect? We were told from God himself EXACTLY what we should follow. By “changing” anything, we are changing god’s word. The religion we follow was given to us straight from the Holy Spirit through the apostles. Why on earth would anybody want to change that?

So we aren’t “close-minded”. We just know what’s right, and don’t want any heresies slowly creeping their way into our faith like has happened with a great deal of other Christian denominations.

That’s my take.
  • "is orthodoxy against change?" - Yes.

sotirmou.
  • i don't believe it's as simple as saying "yes", it depends on what u want to change...if GUARDIAN ANGEL could say what kind of change he/she is referring to...
  • sorry, i wasn't clear. i mean change as in changing christmas date, # of fasting days, things that don't go against the teaching.
    i don't want to change anything, but i was just wondering if all the christian denominations were to come together as one, would it be wrong if each of them changed something, including orthodox people. but, thanks to all the people that answered this question i get it now.

+ God Bless you+
  • i also got asked this question before. in the bible, it states that Jesus' brothers and sisters and mother came to visit Him. well, it could've meant His cousins or step- brothers from St. Joseph's previous wife before st. Mary. so, can we change the bible in modern english so that it's not misinterpreted. the context won't change, but the wording will according to it's original meaning that's from the jewish or greek bible, that were originally the first copies.

+God bless you+
  • ummm if the change would not affect our beliefs and would bring all the christian dominations together than it is worth being considered. As somone stated the type of change should be specified and should not change the ways of out teachings. It would be great if we all did come together as one church, one body of christ. Do u guys think that will ever happen? lyke all the churches uniting as one (the christian ofcourse)

Nothing is impossible and change could happen in the coming generations.

Take care,
    Verena
  • thanks everyone. i get it now
    May God reward you for your time that you spent on this topic.
    +God Bless You+
  • Change does not occur readily in the coptic faith. there is a reason for everything. for the verse about the brothers and sisters of Christ, it talks about his cousins. back then, cousins were called brothers and sisters. I think when the bible was being written, God had a reason and purpose for they way it was written.

And if we change one thing, how do we know we are not gonna start changing other things too? thats what happened with the other christian sects; one thing led to another.
  • LostEgPrincess:

I believe it you would do a thorough lexicon study of the Greek words for brother (adelphos) & sister (adelphe), you would discover that could do not mean cousin. At best possibly step-brother/sister, but not cousin.

The one change I see Orthodoxy going through is the realization that it is not limited to a particular ethnic group. As we look at the emphasis regarding Orthodox unity here in the United States, there is a firm recognition of the fact that there needs to be English liturgy, so that the people who do not come from other ethnic groups can be a part of the larger Orthodox Christian community. Christianity is not Greek, Coptic, Serbia, Ukranian, etc., etc., etc., but Christianity is universal and the Heavenly Father meant for every believer to understand His teachings/ His commands/ and His precepts. I thank God for that, for sometimes I wonder if He were like we are sometimes, He would go about excluding those that "were not like" Himself! But thank God, that God is God and His love reaches every heart that hungers for Him!

Change in doctrine to fit humanistic theology should not be tolerated. Remember when God told the nation of Israel not to come into a covenant relationship with idolaters! That rule was made to keep their relationship with Himself pure and untainted by ungodliness. In other words, though we live in this world, we are not be governed by the ways and teachings of this world, but we are to abide in His Word and allow His Word to work itself out in our lives through the ministry of the Holy Spirit.

As young people, you will undoubtedly find yourself surrounded by school mates who neither know God, nor do they desire to seek Him. At this point, you must allow the truths of God's Word and teaching to guide you, for if you do not, you will find yourself going along with the crowd just to fit in. (commonly called peer pressure). You must work to maintain fellowship with other Christians through the practices of the local church;eucharistic devotion; and serving.

Allow the Holy Spirit to bring the change He wants to bring in your life, for this change will only cause you to be more like Christ Jesus.

Elder Helen Kelley
  • [quote author=HKelley link=board=1;threadid=769;start=0#msg14199 date=1100142892]
    LostEgPrincess:

I believe it you would do a thorough lexicon study of the Greek words for brother (adelphos) & sister (adelphe), you would discover that could do not mean cousin. At best possibly step-brother/sister, but not cousin.

im my Orthodox Study Bible, it says that they were his cousins, the sons, daughters of Mary, sister of the Virgin Mary.
    This is also proven by the fact that we know that St.Mary was a Virgin therefore, there r no brothers, sisters, step, or in-laws

[quote author=HKelley link=board=1;threadid=769;start=0#msg14199 date=1100142892]
    The one change I see Orthodoxy going through is the realization that it is not limited to a particular ethnic group. As we look at the emphasis regarding Orthodox unity here in the United States, there is a firm recognition of the fact that there needs to be English liturgy, so that the people who do not come from other ethnic groups can be a part of the larger Orthodox Christian community. Christianity is not Greek, Coptic, Serbia, Ukranian, etc., etc., etc., but Christianity is universal and the Heavenly Father meant for every believer to understand His teachings/ His commands/ and His precepts. I thank God for that, for sometimes I wonder if He were like we are sometimes, He would go about excluding those that "were not like" Himself! But thank God, that God is God and His love reaches every heart that hungers for Him!

thats just Egyptians finnaly breaking out of their shell.
  • Hey LostegPrincess

im my Orthodox Study Bible, it says that they were his cousins, the sons, daughters of Mary, sister of the Virgin Mary.
    This is also proven by the fact that we know that St.Mary was a Virgin therefore, there r no brothers, sisters, step, or in-laws

Im not sure that the OSB says what you are saying, in any event, the issue of their being cousins or step-brothers has not been made doctrine, what we do know for fact and what is doctrine is that St Mary is the ever-virgin.

In history some have promoted the cousin theory (St Jerome), but most have argued the step-brother theory (St Cyril, St Clement, Origen etc), its more in line with history and its more plausible. We've discussed this issue here: http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=679;start=30
  • okay, i heard it in multiple sermons, but here it is from the OSB.

"Then His brothers and His mother came, and standing outside they sent to Him, calling Him. 32And a multitude was sitting around Him; and they said to Him, "Look, Your mother and Your brothers[1] are outside seeking You." (Mark 3:31,32)

"In the Greekpatristic tradition, these brothers are identified as stepbrothers of Jesus, sons of Joseph by a previous wife. In the Latin tradition they are seen as relatives, such as cousins."

so i guess we are both right. ;)

• LostEgPrincess:

Glad you got clarification on that issue!

God's grace be with you.

Elder Helen Kelley
  • [quote author=LostEgPrincess link=board=1;threadid=769;start=0#msg14207 date=1100149751]
    okay, i heard it in multiple sermons, but here it is from the OSB.

"Then His brothers and His mother came, and standing outside they sent to Him, calling Him. 32And a multitude was sitting around Him; and they said to Him, "Look, Your mother and Your brothers[1] are outside seeking You." (Mark 3:31,32)

"In the Greekpatristic tradition, these brothers are identified as stepbrothers of Jesus, sons of Joseph by a previous wife. In the Latin tradition they are seen as relatives, such as cousins."

so i guess we are both right. ;)

If we read the following verses, Jesus himself explains why he used those terms:
    "But He answered them, saying, "Who is My mother, or My brothers?" And He looked around in a circle at those who sat about Him, and said, "Here are My mother and My brothers! For whoever does the will of God is My brother and My sister and mother."(Mark 3: 33-35)
    He then takes it a step further to say in Matthew 25: 40: "Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me."
    In the Bible also, there were instances were they would refer to the Apostles as His brethren. so lets not get stuck on wording and lose the bigger picture.
  • I think that the reason went further with the dialogue re: mother/brothers, was to show a spiritual truth; however, that does not mean that the terms used were not legitimate and applicable for Himself.

• our religion is soo complete and perfect in all aspects, wat can we change?
    one of the greatest things about our church is its firmness, and the fact that wen all other faiths changed and varied, we remained true, and straight.