Hell

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
This topic sometimes makes me uncomfortable. Does anyone know how hell is supposed to depicted? Is it actual fire that would burn physical skin or is it your soul being in anguish forever? I know there is a Biblical line that says "weeping and gnashing of teeth." Sometimes things in the bible are more symbolic than actual and I was just wondering what people's thoughts are on what hell would be like (quoted from Scripture)--besides extremely scary that is.

Comments

• i dont have anything quoted on hand
    but i recall a story saying that some bishop..or monk, i forgot his name, was walking in the desert and found the head of a skeleton, he picked it up and asked it where are u? the head answered i dont know where i am, but its very dark and black and frightening... and the only time we see light is when you pray for us
    i know thats not exactly related to ur ? but i just thought it would be interesting to share
    o, and hell can't physically burn ur skin because ur skin returns to the earth, ur soul is what will remian in eternal damnation forever... scary thought, isnt it? ~ shivers....
  • what i believe is that the worst thing about heaven is the fact that its the Furthest place away from God. "weeping and gnashing of teeth." which is mentioned in matt many times could refer to the saddness and pain of being away forom Gods love and mercy.
    George
  • The Bible describes it as weeping (Matt 8:12), wailing (Matt 13:42), gnashing of teeth (Matt 13:50), darkness (Matt 25:30), flames (Luke 16:24), burning (Isa 33:14), torments (Luke 16:23), everlasting punishment! Jesus Christ says in Matthew 25:41, "Depart from me, ye cursed, into EVERLASTING FIRE, prepared for the devil and his angels."

The man in Luke 16:24 cries: ". . .I am tormented in this FLAME."

In Matthew 13:42, Jesus says: "And shall cast them into a FURNACE OF FIRE: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

Revelation 20:15 says, " And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the LAKE OF FIRE."

well as said before your soul is the only thing that remains after death so your actual "physical" body can not burn..there..but your soul will be so miserable there..and will be suffering so much and crying in aguish as if you feel like you are burning..
    lets change the subject..im getting scared already! :'(

• Actually I think it is good to always keep this in mind; to keep us in check; make us think twice before sinning, always keeping your eye on the future and to know there is consequence to all actions; even tho it is not seen by the visibile eye and not in this lifetime as we know it.
  • Hi everyone,

I would like to add one more thing about hell. When Father Ibrahim Abdou came to Canada 2 weeks ago, he gave a preach about what happens to us after death. In this subject, he talked about Heaven and Hell. He said a very interesting comment about Hell which I would like to share it with you.

He said : "If Hell was not so terrible it would not let Our Lord take a flesh and become a man and obey up to the death on the Cross with all these sufferings. If His sufferings were that much, so how much is the suffering He wanted to deliver us from it in Hell?"

Thank you and pray for me.

KF
  • Karfaw

Very well put and even scarier to think about! :o
  • oo scary but is it realy true about the bishop and the skeleton i dont if that is true or not ???
  • Interesting points KF and SMS!!

Early on the first day of the week: Christ rose from the dead: He placed His enemies behind Him: He gave them eternal shame.
    - Chris