Rejoice O Theotokos?

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
May someone explain why we repeatedly say "Rejoice O . . ." in the hymn Rashi Ne. What is the meaning? Although I am interested in private interpretations, please provide the Church's reason. I mean it isn't like St. Mary needs us to tell her to rejoice. . .

Any meditations on the hymn would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• This hymn is a new hymn. However we do have an old one for the Asbasmos Adam "oonof emmo" which in my opinion has a deeper meaning than Rashi na.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=11994.msg142573#msg142573 date=1312517490]
    This hymn is a new hymn. However we do have an old one for the Asbasmos Adam "oonof emmo" which in my opinion has a deeper meaning than Rashi na.

How new is 'new'?
  • I don't see the problem with this hymn. The author of the hymn simply took the biblical verse "Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women!" (Luke 1:28) and developed it into a hymn.
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=11994.msg142594#msg142594 date=1312562193]
    I don't see the problem with this hymn. The author of the hymn simply took the biblical verse "Rejoice, highly favored one, the Lord is with you; blessed are you among women!" (Luke 1:28) and developed it into a hymn.

Haha, yeah but that verse is not in the hymn at all! You mean he took the first word. . .

I am not saying there is anything wrong with it. I just want to understand it more. What do the verses mean?
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11994.msg142596#msg142596 date=1312562682]
    Haha, yeah but that verse is not in the hymn at all! You mean he took the first word. . .

I am not saying there is anything wrong with it. I just want to understand it more. What do the verses mean?

i don't think the hymn needs to follow the biblical verses word to word....as long as it doesn't go against the bible.

The verses is "Rejoice of highly favored one"--in coptic it's "Rejoice O full of grace." the "full of grace one is the Virgin Mary, the Mother of God, the Theotokos. 
    the meaning of the parts in the hymn is differnt thoo--now you are looking at the depths of the hymn and not the general understanding of it.
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11994.msg142574#msg142574 date=1312518155]
    [quote author=imikhail link=topic=11994.msg142573#msg142573 date=1312517490]
    This hymn is a new hymn. However we do have an old one for the Asbasmos Adam "oonof emmo" which in my opinion has a deeper meaning than Rashi na.

How new is 'new'?

New in the sense that it was not known till about 50 years ago.
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11994.msg142572#msg142572 date=1312516817]
    May someone explain why we repeatedly say "Rejoice O . . ." in the hymn Rashi Ne. What is the meaning? Although I am interested in private interpretations, please provide the Church's reason. I mean it isn't like St. Mary needs us to tell her to rejoice. . .

Any meditations on the hymn would be great.

Thanks in advance.

In the Catholic Church, they indeed Rejoice Mary, Full of Grace.. instead of Hail Mary full of Grace, but its spontaneous. Its up to the person saying it to decide when they change Rejoice with Hail.