why would dancing be wrong?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
a group of kids at our church we do hip hop dancing boys and girls and people in church say its wrong.why?

Comments

• Record yourselves doing it, watch it, and I'm sure you'll be able to answer your question yourself.
  • the girls and guys dont make contact believe it or not we just do hip hop dancing like what dances on music videos not contact though
  • Well bigeee, if you listen to the lyrics of these hip hop songs, you will see that they are filthy and full of vanity and emptiness. You should listen to taraneem and hymns in order to immerse yourself in a Christian atmosphere which will help you make more Christ like decisions.
  • +What would Jesus do?
    Jesus said, "Follow Me… and learn from Me".
    Would any of the saints be doing it?

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is good and acceptable and perfect will of God" (Rom 12:2). We are not of this world. We're not meant to fit in, but stand out as God's children.

"All things are lawful for me, but not all things are edify" (1 Cor. 10:23)
  • Christianity is not whether what you do is right or wrong, its whether what you do will bring you closer to God or not.

please pray for me
  • Unworthy1 and ilovejesus said it perfectly.

forgiveme,

I could not disagree more. In almost all cases, there is a definite right and wrong, and making that choice may draw you either closer or apart from God.
  • I don't think the same dedication has been (or would be) instituted for your spiritual existence.

To memorize the idiotic steps, with their sexual explicitness, emulating freaks of the human existence, would not be leading you anywhere except the slippery slope to hell.

One must ask:  the same dedication being given to one's existence; including--studying, praying, living a civil and enjoyful life?
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=11966.msg142452#msg142452 date=1312280508]
    One must ask:  the same dedication being given to one's existence; including--studying, praying, living a civil and enjoyful life?

• [quote author=bigeee link=topic=11966.msg142338#msg142338 date=1312160368]
    the girls and guys dont make contact believe it or not we just do hip hop dancing like what dances on music videos not contact though

Ask your self this question:

If Jesus is present, will you still dance?

If the answer is yes, then by all means do it. If, however, the answer is no then have this attitude with whatever you do in your life.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=11966.msg142455#msg142455 date=1312284830]
    [quote author=bigeee link=topic=11966.msg142338#msg142338 date=1312160368]
    the girls and guys dont make contact believe it or not we just do hip hop dancing like what dances on music videos not contact though

If the answer is yes, then by all means do it. If, however, the answer is no then have this attitude with whatever you do in your life.

I saw this Coptic girl do erotic dancing, I was very ashamed. You know, the origin of dancing comes from sexual desires.
  • [quote author=Khas. link=topic=11966.msg142457#msg142457 date=1312285745]
    [quote author=imikhail link=topic=11966.msg142455#msg142455 date=1312284830]
    [quote author=bigeee link=topic=11966.msg142338#msg142338 date=1312160368]

I saw this Coptic girl do erotic dancing, I was very ashamed. You know, the origin of dancing comes from sexual desires.

It comes from it and leads to it.
  • Not all dancing does.

Almost all modern dancing does.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=11966.msg142464#msg142464 date=1312301239]
    Not all dancing does.

Almost all modern dancing does.

Well, in this thread we are talking about Hip Hop and that for sure has its origin in that area of lust.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=11966.msg142452#msg142452 date=1312280508]
    I don't think the same dedication has been (or would be) instituted for your spiritual existence.

To memorize the idiotic steps, with their sexual explicitness, emulating freaks of the human existence, would not be leading you anywhere except the slippery slope to hell.

One must ask:  the same dedication being given to one's existence; including--studying, praying, living a civil and enjoyful life?

This, here, really addresses the crux of the issue. 
  • [quote author=nadera link=topic=11966.msg142503#msg142503 date=1312391291]
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=11966.msg142452#msg142452 date=1312280508]
    I don't think the same dedication has been (or would be) instituted for your spiritual existence.

One must ask:  the same dedication being given to one's existence; including--studying, praying, living a civil and enjoyful life?

This, here, really addresses the crux of the issue. 

Exactly why I doubled quoted it. ilovesaintmark is always on the mark.
  • WHAT A SWEET DEAL!
  • We can't say that all dancing is evil. In the case of hip-hop, if it involved close contact between opposite sexes and explicit or implicit moves/gestures, than obviously this is sinful behaviour. If the lyrics to the song were also of a sexual/inappropriate nature, this too is not right for us to be a part of. However, the fear  is also that we ban dancing and music outright thinking that all secular (non-religious) music/dancing is wrong. On the contrary, there is a time and place for everything and some of the most joyous times in ones life are expressed through music and dance such as at family weddings and celebrations. The bible also speaks in certain instances of joyous dancing, of course to be distinguished from lustful dancing.
  • [quote author=Timothym link=topic=11966.msg142721#msg142721 date=1312694512]
    We can't say that all dancing is evil. In the case of hip-hop, if it involved close contact between opposite sexes and explicit or implicit moves/gestures, than obviously this is sinful behaviour. If the lyrics to the song were also of a sexual/inappropriate nature, this too is not right for us to be a part of. However, the fear  is also that we ban dancing and music outright thinking that all secular (non-religious) music/dancing is wrong. On the contrary, there is a time and place for everything and some of the most joyous times in ones life are expressed through music and dance such as at family weddings and celebrations. The bible also speaks in certain instances of joyous dancing, of course to be distinguished from lustful dancing.

What a sweet deal!
  • So when David danced he had lust? So in churches where dancing is a part of their liturgical service they have lust? Of course not as Father Peter said not all dancing does
  • [quote author=I Believe link=topic=11966.msg142736#msg142736 date=1312758702]
    So when David danced he had lust? So in churches where dancing is a part of their liturgical service they have lust? Of course not as Father Peter said not all dancing does

What you says is true, but this thread is about HIP-HOP dancing.
  • It is spiritually dangerous to look for exceptions and loopholes in spiritual principles. It shows an intent to disobey (sin against) spiritual practice and wisdom. The U.S. Southern Diocese website contains 5 answers that explain some of the dangers of dancing. See, http://www.suscopts.org/q&a/index.php?catid=97.
  • yes you're right geomike sorry