What should I do with a few items?

SYSY
edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hi,

I have a few items that I was wondering if anyone knew what I should do with them.

I have an agpyia that has been drowned in water and the pages are now all damp, stuck together and there is a smell.
I have some orban and baraka that is too hard and also apparently we shouldnt have them anymore after 12 hours?
Also, I have some magazines(religious) that are alittle old now

There are items I can not keep any more and I dont know how to deal with them ( I dont want to use the word "dispose".

I realise that its irresponsible of me to have them but now I do have them and Im not sure what to do.

thanks in advance!

Comments

• not sure about the agpeya, mine got quite wet as well once, but it dried out fine and the pages eventually unstick when i turned them carefully.
    i hope that by 'orban' and 'baraka' you mean the same thing, and you don't have some actually consecrated bread hanging around the house!
    if it's the blessed bread, it should be eaten. there is no rule that you have to use it up soon, just if you leave it for more than 4 or 5 days it doesn't taste so fresh.
    i don't think there is any formal church rule about it, but our practice in the coptic church is that we never dispose of it. if it is not fresh, you can put a little water on it and then warm it in the microwave or the oven until it gets hot and then you can eat it. i have heard some people put it out for birds if it goes dry, but i think this is disrespectful.
    i once found some blessed bread from another orthodox church that had been in my fridge for a week and gone hard. i ate it, and i didn't swell up and die!

magazines can be donated to the church or youth group and then when they are falling apart, you can throw them away with the rubbish(trash). eastern orthodox Christians have something called 'holy trash' where they burn or bury things like this, but i think we generally throw them away.
    hope this helps!
  • Burn it, Abouna burned a hair that he found in the Orbana once.

How is putting dried baraka for birds disrespectful? I object one hundred percent with your haywire statement! Birds deserve to get a blessing too! It's not fair if our cute little birds don't get a chance to taste God's glory. 
  • Ok this is what i plan to do (please let me know if its wrong)

1. Orban = I will wet it and eat it but if it has changed colour etc i cant, so I will bury it or give it to birds
    2.Magazines = donate them
    3. the agpia = try to dry it otherwise i will donate that too or ask someone if they know a way to dry it.

What do you think?
  • I don't see what the problem is with throwing them away. . .

Do you think everything ever printed for Church is still in existence?

Do you think every orban ever baked has been eaten?

Do you think every magazine is donated until it returns to its original owner as a donation?

NO. NO. & NO. But that's Ok.
  • I commend you for taking so seriously the things that we use to get closer to God. The fact that you decided to make a thread about it shows you really care about how to dispose of these things and it has troubled your conscience. It would not be right to donate an Agpeya that is damaged and not in useable condition. When we donate things, we should donate from the best of our possessions. If we donate from the superfluous, it should at least be in good working order so that someone else can benefit from it. The donation pile is not a place for you to throw away things without feeling guilty.

That being said, I would simply throw away the Agpeya and old magazines, especially if they are old/damaged. The orban can either be eaten or burned.
  • I have an old hobby of mine of burning Qorban every Sunday, after church.
  • [quote author=Khas. link=topic=11958.msg142306#msg142306 date=1312145276]
    I have an old hobby of mine of burning Qorban every Sunday, after church.

I think a quote from Eminem is appropriate: "Nowadays everybody wanna talk like they got somethin' to say, but nothin' comes out when they move their lips just a bunch a gibberish. . ."
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11958.msg142312#msg142312 date=1312146998]
    [quote author=Khas. link=topic=11958.msg142306#msg142306 date=1312145276]
    I have an old hobby of mine of burning Qorban every Sunday, after church.

I think a quote from Eminem is appropriate: "Nowadays everybody wanna talk like they got somethin' to say, but nothin' comes out when they move their lips just a bunch a gibberish. . ."

Exactly, you nailed it, except I absolutely hate Eminem, and most other rappers.
  • [quote author=aiernovi link=topic=11958.msg142301#msg142301 date=1312126196]
    The orban can either be eaten or burned.

Really? Even if it is just the normal orban?
  • hello,
    i also have input on this hopefully it helps ...
    i was cleaning out a place we used to use for Sunday school and such and there was many religious texts (example torn and just plain worn out Bibles) and i ran into the same problem, i showed our abouna and he just told me to take them and put them in a recycling bin at my home (there wasn't one at church) and also i had some orbana and since it was a very large piece i gave it to my mom and she apparently never ate it and it went rotten and i felt bad to throw it out myself so ... i told my mom to figure something out lol honestly i can't remember what she did with it sorry i know that was no help but God bless and happy Sunday :)
  • the blessed bread can be eaten or burned.
    the consecrated bread (body of our Lord) can't and has to be all eaten.