an Coptic immigrating to Canada and i want to know about some stuff there

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
ok, so i am a religious boy in High school, i will finish my grade 12 and i will move to Canada with my family for the universities and from the stuff that i care the most is the Church.

so i need to know are Coptic Canadians religious, pious, devout. do they like Church, interested in knowing Coptic and memorizing hymns, know about the Bible and religion as there is Egypt. in my Church, 99% of boys and girls are interested in Church and they attend "Mahragan" even if they aren't that relgious but they make me feel good.

or they are like people in gulf, don't care about Church, they just come to eat and see their friends. we don't neither coptic nor hymns classes, and that's bad.

and i just want an overview about the majority! and what about the other Christian canadians too?

Comments

• Well, that really depends on where in Canada you will go. I'm going to assume toronto, because everyone lands there first, and there's a really strong egyptian community there. I'm from western Canada, so all I know about toronto is from hear-say.

I know there's a mission community down there. That means that they go and talk to Canadians about God, and our church, and I've actually met some of their converts. I believe it's Saint Verina's church?

Those churches will probably be very strong, but I've heard about churches that are weaker as well.

It ultimately depends on the group of friends you end up with. Some groups are very devout and they are all about church, and some of course are nominal. I'm sure you can find a strong group if that's what you are looking for.

If you're asking, we do the Mahragan every year too, but I will admit that it's much more common for grade school than university students.
  • I am from Canada.
    Best country ever.
    Best Soldiers and Army ever.
    Best weather ever.
    Best seasons ever.
    Best communities ever.
    Best everything ever.
  • what does "Tenacpi esna onkh" mean?
  • Actually yea, my first landing will be Toronto so i was wondering if people there are the same as I see the westerns in TV.

I usually prefer settling in an area with less arabs. I had eniugh living with them but it shocks me that a lot of arabs here in Dubai, some of them are mozlems holding the canadian nationality :/

[quote author=epiphania link=topic=11917.msg141928#msg141928 date=1311635670]
    I know there's a mission community down there. That means that they go and talk to Canadians about God, and our church, and I've actually met some of their converts. I believe it's Saint Verina's church?

How can i find these people, i reallynlike joining them, i am always thinking about preaching...
    [quote author=imikhail link=topic=11917.msg141969#msg141969 date=1311707233]
    what does "Tenacpi esna onkh" mean?

it means " our language will live" as my 1st question on this website was about coptic..
  • [quote author=Tenacpi esna onkh link=topic=11917.msg142030#msg142030 date=1311797132]
    Actually yea, my first landing will be Toronto so i was wondering if people there are the same as I see the westerns in TV.

No. Egyptian tv is very mean to westerners. It depicts them as completley without morals. They dress more openly than we do. There are also things that they don't care about, that we do. No one cares how you dress, what you do, sin or not. As long as you're not bothering anyone else.

[quote author=Tenacpi esna onkh link=topic=11917.msg142030#msg142030 date=1311797132]
    I usually prefer settling in an area with less arabs. I had eniugh living with them but it shocks me that a lot of arabs here in Dubai, some of them are mozlems holding the canadian nationality :/

don't worry about arabs. but toronto is FULL or somolians. I don't know about toronto, but in my city, egyptian christians and egyptians muslims don't mix. We stay away from each other. Not because we hate each other or something, its just because we go to our church, and our kids go to christian schools. So we don't come into contact with them. it's probably the same in toronto, but I'm not sure

[quote author=Tenacpi esna onkh link=topic=11917.msg142030#msg142030 date=1311797132]

How can i find these people, i reallynlike joining them, i am always thinking about preaching...

this is their church website

http://www.smsv.ca/index.shtml

I will warn you though. because it's a preaching community, they have to adapt to western culture a bit. The liturgy is in english. there's very little coptic used, because they have asians, and white people come often. There's less egyptian culture. its more about the orthodox doctrine.

There's more egyptian communities that are all about the coptic and the hymns and egyptian culture. I believe they do mission trips as well. but not in Canada. Here's one:

http://www.stmark.toronto.on.coptorthodox.ca/

• If you want, msg me, and I will set you up with some of my friends from toronto when you come to Canada. The can show you around. If you msg any of the churches as well, they'll find someone to meet you and help get settled.
  • Thanks a lot, i am now more ready to come to Canada, it's quite amazing.
    and thanks a lot for your help but not for now, i am only staying for a month but i will permanently move isa next summer, 2012 .. but i appreciate :)
  • [quote author=Khas. link=topic=11917.msg141968#msg141968 date=1311706162]
    I am from Canada.
    Best country ever.
    Best Soldiers and Army ever.
    Best weather ever.
    Best seasons ever.
    Best communities ever.
    Best everything ever.

LOL!  :D

How 'bout dem Boston Bruins?

• + Irini nem ehmot,

Do NOT speak of that blasphemous team. I'm still sore the Canucks lost. GO CANUCKS GO!!
  • Haha - sorry brother I'm sure it still hurts! Although I know almost nothing about Hockey, I take great pride in that the US of A has beaten Canada in yet another area of utmost importance.

Next up. . . Curling  ;)

• Dude, Canada is the beast, come here and we'll tax the crap out of you, and give you A1 services, including my service of protecting you.
  • [quote author=Khas. link=topic=11917.msg142281#msg142281 date=1312079047]
    Dude, Canada is the beast, come here and we'll tax the crap out of you, and give you A1 services, including my service of protecting you.

What a sweet deal!
  • Rule Britannia  ;D