councils

edited December 1969 in Non-Orthodox Inquiries
Nofri!
What do you think of Vatican Council 2? Is it good for a church to have such councils?
What do you think?

Comments

• The Church of Alexandria (the Coptic Church) considers Vatican Council 2 as a local council of the Latin Church and has no binding canons whatsoever on the Church of Alexandria.

Local Councils are not new to the Churches and have been done throughout the Church History.
  • [quote author=imikhail link=topic=11875.msg141619#msg141619 date=1311012154]
    The Church of Alexandria (the Coptic Church) considers Vatican Council 2 as a local council of the Latin Church and has no binding canons whatsoever on the Church of Alexandria.

Local Councils are not new to the Churches and have been done throughout the Church History.

You, dude, are a genius. Want to buy my gold bar?
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

The Orthodox Church has no interest in a council outside of her communion.
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=11875.msg141646#msg141646 date=1311049502]
    + Irini nem ehmot,

The Orthodox Church has no interest in a council outside of her communion.

ok. why doesn't the coptic church have modern ecumenical councils?
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

Why is there a need for any? The only Ecumenical Council that I could see that would be necessary is one to reconcile between the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox. Otherwise, the Faith has been adequately defined as is by the first 3 Ecumenical Councils. What need is there of any further councils?
  • The 4th to 7th councils of the EO Church have addressed heresies and defended Christology in ways that the OO Church has not had to.  HH Pope Shenouda has already acknowledged these councils as being Orthodox in their teaching and finds nothing contrary to the Holy Orthodox Faith in them, but rather that they were defending Orthodoxy. 
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

I can't comment on the 5th, 6th or 7th councils, but the 4th one is the reason there was a schism between the OO and EO. While I do believe our Christologies are identical in essence (though worded differently), I question the Orthodoxy of the 4th council.
  • HH Pope Shenouda does not question the Orthodoxy of the 4th Council, nor do the senior hierarchs of the OO churches, and this applies to the other three after it too. 

The only real question now is what is actually being taught by the clergy on a local level and why are some saints from either side anathematised by the other.  There are also some "old guard" monks and lay people who are opposed simply because it would mean change now--they do not see it as a healing of a sinful schism that both sides are equally guilty for. 
  • [quote author=Retartet link=topic=11875.msg141994#msg141994 date=1311738107]
    +Irini nem ehmot

[quote author=Khas. link=topic=11875.msg141639#msg141639 date=1311037507]
    [quote author=imikhail link=topic=11875.msg141619#msg141619 date=1311012154]
    The Church of Alexandria (the Coptic Church) considers Vatican Council 2 as a local council of the Latin Church and has no binding canons whatsoever on the Church of Alexandria.

You, dude, are a genius. Want to buy my gold bar?

Whoa hold up. Whats this gold bar you're talking about? How much do you want?

99.99% pure Canadian gold, one ounce, $1700 + tax and shipping.