How to conduct house visitations. . .

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hey all,

I am a Sunday school servant and after the gospel of this past Sunday I need some advice. I want to visit my Sunday school kids at home. The more experienced servants at my church are too busy with kids and work, etc. so it is difficult to go with them and learn. I am a little nervous about going alone or with another novice and would appreciate your tips. There is a language barrier with some families which is an added worry.

Anyhow, what exactly should be accomplished at the visitation? Should I bring the kid something? I am relatively young so I do not want to come off as preachy to the parents, what exactly should I tell them?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• one way to prepare is to ask yourself "what would the kid want to do?"

i remember when i was a kid the last thing i wanted a SS servant to do was to talk to my parents for a hour then leave.
    the SS servants usually came talked with my parents for 5-10min max and then took me out to play basketball, go to mcdonalds, or just mess around for an hour or so. and then at the end pray for 5 min and promote any upcoming activities.

• Thanks crazy4Christ1. How old were you at the time? The kids in my class are 5-6 yrs of age. Plus I'll be visiting them in the evening. What do you think?
  • [quote author=Unworthy1 link=topic=11874.msg141616#msg141616 date=1311009628]
    Thanks crazy4Christ1. How old were you at the time? The kids in my class are 5-6 yrs of age. Plus I'll be visiting them in the evening. What do you think?

Learn arabic, get my dad to teach you, low fees. Don't take the kid out to McDonalds, that's bad, take him out to a healthy restaurant instead. But McDonalds is funner for kids (from experience, lol).
  • Well, I never had these visitations from Sunday School teachers, but my Hymns teacher came one day during the Jonah fast and gave me a lesson about Jonah. It was pretty cool. I think teaching the kds a personal lesson would be beneficial for them instead of taking them to play. There must be something spiritual.

About talking arabic. It would be helpful if you did speak arabic, however it is not such a big deal. The parents should understand because they should be learning English anyways now that they are living in a country other than Egypt.
  • Lol, well I do know arabic but it is, as they say, "mitkasar."

Geomike, how old were you when your hymns teacher visited you and taught you about Jonah? I ask because the fact that the kids are young makes it hard to visit them without spending all of the time talking to the parents.
  • i was in either 5th or 6th grade when i they visted me.

you could play a board game with the kid, or get the parents involved as well.
    and if your really stumped on what to do just ask the parents what he likes to do or play with

and of course try to squeeze in a nice quick lesson like not being a sore loser :) (NO 20min sunday school sermons)
  • [quote author=Crazy4Christ1 link=topic=11874.msg141631#msg141631 date=1311030019]
    i was in either 5th or 6th grade when i they visted me.

you could play a board game with the kid, or get the parents involved as well.
    and if your really stumped on what to do just ask the parents what he likes to do or play with

and of course try to squeeze in a nice quick lesson like not being a sore loser :) (NO 20min sunday school sermons)

But 200min sunday school sermons are the best :(
  • +"Bring God with you... And when you leave, you must have left God in their homes and in their hearts." H.H. Pope Shenouda III http://www.sundayschoolservice.org/spiritofserving.asp

"To benefit from visitation it is important to train yourself on the skill of active listening, avoid the earthly issues and always talk words from the bible. There should not be visits without praying and reading the bible." http://www.suscopts.org/servantsprep/pdf/SPR/SPR_102-ServingSundaySchool_Visitation_&_Biblical_Application.pdf

If you would like to give a child a present, think of giving them saints oil, you can tell them to anoint themself before they sleep each night for protection/peace/blessing or after prayer. Or a small book, video, an icon - something spiritual and practical.

I don't think there is such thing as being preachy (unless the purpose is to reveal knowledge and not out of zeal of the love of God through humility).. we're servants of God, not of the world.
  • Maybe just bring the children something like a book or a CD or a picture,

get the children to do most of the talking by asking them about themselves and what theyre doing and their opinions on stuff (kids love talking about themselves and parents often hear things coming from their kid that they normally dont) --which is the positive bit.

Then maybe ask them what their fave story in the bible is or their favourite thing about jesus or a miracle they would like jesus to do for them etc

so the visit is simple, fun for the kid, and not at all awkward for anyone...

Which the language barrier, the child, you will understand that barrier and naturally work around it.--No need to stress.

hope this helps