The name "Kyrios"

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Can the word "Kyrios" be used as a baby boy name?

Comments

• + Irini nem ehmot,

[quote author=imikhail link=topic=11804.msg141039#msg141039 date=1310059360]
    Can the word "Kyrios" be used as a baby boy name?

Yup.
  • Thanks  .. I could not find any Copt by this name.
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

Well, it's more Greek than Coptic. However, Cyril/Kyrollos is derived from Kyrios.
  • Thanks you Kephas
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=11804.msg141043#msg141043 date=1310062181]
    However, Cyril/Kyrollos is derived from Kyrios.

HOWWWW?
  • + Irini nem ehmot,

[quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=11804.msg141050#msg141050 date=1310080548]
    [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=11804.msg141043#msg141043 date=1310062181]
    However, Cyril/Kyrollos is derived from Kyrios.

HOWWWW?

Cyril (also Cyrillus or Cyryl) is a masculine given name. It is derived from the Greek name Κύριλλος (Kyrillos) meaning "Lordly, Masterful" which in turn derives from Greek κυριος (Kyrios) "Lord". There are various variant forms of the Cyril name such as Cyrill, Kirill, Kiryl, Kirillos, Kyryl, Kiril, and Kyrill.
    Source

• I know a greek guy named kyrios. It is the same as kyrillos or Cyril. Both are greek names.

Didn't see the preceding post.
  • Uhm how do you think an english speaking school would pronounce, 'kyrios'? You gotta think of this things.
  • [quote author=Khas. link=topic=11804.msg141136#msg141136 date=1310220581]
    Uhm how do you think an english speaking school would pronounce, 'kyrios'? You gotta think of this things.

i don't get it?!
    my brother's name is Abahoor....how do you think they pronounce his name.
  • Hahaha. I think Mina has a point. Most English-speakers (in the USA, anyway) are quite aggressively monolingual, and not everyone can be named Ed, Steve, or Becky.  ::)
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=11804.msg141051#msg141051 date=1310081825]
    Cyril (also Cyrillus or Cyryl) is a masculine given name. It is derived from the Greek name Κύριλλος (Kyrillos) meaning "Lordly, Masterful" which in turn derives from Greek κυριος (Kyrios) "Lord". There are various variant forms of the Cyril name such as Cyrill, Kirill, Kiryl, Kirillos, Kyryl, Kiril, and Kyrill.
    Source

I have to disagree with Wikipedia here. Kyrios means Lord. And it can be a masculine or feminine noun. Kyria is the more used feminine noun. Kyriou or kyriwn means lordly, powerful or authoritative. Kurillos is not found in any Greek lexicon and there is no grammatical conjugation/parsing for Kyillos. That can only mean that Kyrillos is a name. Maybe kyrillos is etymologically related to Kyrios, maybe not. We just don't have any reference.
  • the americans will never be able to pronounce any of the arab or coptic names because the alphabets are not the same as the english alphabet and the sounds are different
  • [quote author=christiangirl link=topic=11804.msg141703#msg141703 date=1311223545]
    the americans will never be able to pronounce any of the arab or coptic names because the alphabets are not the same as the english alphabet and the sounds are different

COMPLETELY WRONG! Actually, since I'm not American, you could be slightly right, but majorly wrong. Look here, I taught my friends at school (Canada) how to pronounce so much Coptic and Arabic, it's not even funny. They are like better than me at doing it, so ha! There!
    Edit: I am sorry, I'm out of my mind today.
  • Can you name someoen Israel?
  • I have a friend names Israel (though admittedly, he's not coptic), and a friend named Kyria (close enough to kyrios)